PDA

View Full Version : long term mould storage

colbyjack
08-05-2008, 11:19 AM
so here in the midwest, its really humid. stuff rusts if you look at it wrong. should i put clp on my moulds that im not using? or should i store them in a jar of diesel fuel? i dont have a vacum sealer so what should work the best? also before i use do i have to boil them or will a hose off in brake cleaner work?

thanks -chris

beagle
08-05-2008, 11:28 AM
CLP will work, then store them in an ammo can with dessicant pouches. I wipe a light coat of 30W oil on mine when they're just slightly warm from casting and here in KY that does pretty well./beagle

Calamity Jake
08-05-2008, 02:48 PM
For steel moulds I coat the outside only with Midway mould prep, then store them in ammo cans that have good seals with dessicant packs, no having to preclean before using each time.
Have had no problems with rust in 30+ years

Humidity in centeral Ok. is above 30% most of the time.

e15cap
08-05-2008, 06:41 PM
I find that the ammo cans marked 800 5.56 ctgs will hold my large Paul Jones and other molds with handles attached. Add a VPI anti-corrosion block and all will be well.
Best Roger

Hipshot
08-05-2008, 07:38 PM
Just read an article in the "NRA HANDLOADERS GUIDE" that states HOPPE's #9 is good for cleaning molds and great for long term storage by wiping them down so they don't rust. Not only that the auther states it takes only a couple of casts to get the mold up and running again !
This is an old book as the price tag says $5.00 ! IT'S WORTH A TRY !!!

Hipshot

Naphtali
08-06-2008, 10:49 AM
If your storage is seriously long term, LPS-3 Marine preservative-lubricant is what you want.

quasi
08-06-2008, 02:24 PM
+1 on the LPS-3 Recomendation

missionary5155
08-06-2008, 02:58 PM
I live in Central Illinois and Peru (mostly) so my molds get stored 3 years a wack... I oil them with whatever motor oil is handy and wrap in wax paper. They have all been cavity treated with mold prep so I just wipe them with a paper towl and start casting. Ammo cans WITH the rubber seal attached is probably the BIG help.

cbrick
08-06-2008, 03:34 PM
I use a plastic food storage container from the grocery store. They come in several sizes but I mostly use the one that holds two 2 cavity or one four cavity moulds. They have a rubber gasket in the lid and are air (and moisture) tight. They are flat top and bottom and stack well. These cost $4.00 each and I add a couple of descant chips. I store my moulds in these completely dry, no oil, no nothing. Never had a speck of rust in the years since I've done this.

A while back I tested them to see how water proof they were by filling a 5 gallon bucket with water, I placed a closed container with the descant chips in the water and held it on the bottom with a cement block. The next day I took it out, dried off the outside and opened it, the descant chips inside were completely dry.

Rick

warf73
08-07-2008, 04:13 AM
All I can say is one word PLEDGE.

Best used while the mold is still hot~warm then put on final application right before you store it. I have 2 molds that was coated with pledge 4 years ago, and they still look great with no rust spots. I store my molds under my work bench in the garge so the temps are within 10* of outside and Kansas has high humidty like you folks in IL.
When your ready to use the mold again just spray it down with carb cleaner and start casting.

08-07-2008, 11:52 AM
Do You Spray The Pledge In Side Also?

MtGun44
08-07-2008, 11:08 PM
Ammo can with mil surp oven dried dessicant pack inside. No need to
clean off any guck after storage or add it before.

Bill

warf73
08-08-2008, 01:32 AM
Do You Spray The Pledge In Side Also?

Yes, I spray every inch of the mold. Right before you store the mold give it a final spray it will turn the mold white, then place it in your storage bag.