PDA

View Full Version : Gotta love no fault insurance and drunk drivers

nagantguy
09-05-2017, 10:16 AM
Hey gang haven't been around for spell, missed some pm's and to anyone who sent me one I will get back with you.
The he good news is my wife and daughter are fine ;bad news they got hit by a drunk driver while school clothes shopping;the only new vehicle my wife has ever owned smashed by a idiot who thought it was a good idea to go to a very busy mall at 11am drunk and not stop at a stop sign! So being down to one vehical for a bit was rough; the 1000 dollar deductible is awesome and this is the third time the shop has had the car back because it isn't fixed correctly!

lawdog941
09-05-2017, 11:53 AM
Michigan must have different drunk driving laws. Here in Ohio, you can be charged with it on private and public property. Keep the faith and patience, I believe these are tests that God puts us through for a reason that we may not understand for awhile.

snowwolfe
09-05-2017, 12:23 PM
Michigan must have different drunk driving laws. Here in Ohio, you can be charged with it on private and public property.

What does being charged on private or public property have to do with what the OP posted?

merlin101
09-05-2017, 12:53 PM
What does being charged on private or public property have to do with what the OP posted?

Maybe he was confused by the mention of the no-fault? Lot of people have no idea what it is.

XDROB
09-05-2017, 01:30 PM
No fault means that no matter who hit Your truck and have no insurance (which by the way is illegal in my state) you get your vehicle fixed. The only problem is now you have a check mark in your Column for a claim. And that works against you in the long run. And then on top of that your truck gets devalued because it's been in a wreck. The only way to get back at the person is in civil court. It's all a lost cause for you. But again it's already illegal to have no insurance. Doesn't help you at all.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

RayinNH
09-05-2017, 03:31 PM
My wife and I were rear ended in February on a Saturday night. We were waiting to turn into our driveway when we were hit at 40 ish MPH. Totaled the truck. On top of that the dipstick tried to drive away. He got about 75 yards when his vehicle died. They used the jaws of life to remove him from his vehicle. He was arrested for being drunk and possibly trying to leave the scene.

I feel your pain. Ain't life grand.

nagantguy
09-05-2017, 07:25 PM
This guy Brie try to leave the scene but he saw my girls filming him and stopped, he did walk away from the scene and went into a store and bought food and drink before police arrived. He's getting charged with dui, the MI no fault thing means your fault my fault no ones fault your insurance pays for the damage;and you pay the deductible and sometimes if the other person is at fault you may. Be reimbursed,this clown had no insurance so it'll be up to the uninsured drivers fund to reimburse us;my last dance with them took almost 3 years!
I think MI is the last no fault state;and the insurance companies spend great deals of money keeping it that way because as mentioned above it is a mark against you;and your rates go up no Matter who is at fault!

Most important thing is my girls are fine! Nothing else even comes a close second; now I'm just angry and inconvenienced and our insurance company has not been fast acting; took them so long to get a police report that we paid the $10 bucks got our own copy and dropped one off to them! Another gotcha of the no fault is even if your insurance company is rotten in its service you pay a premium for switching to another company within 120 days of a claim

Smoke4320
09-05-2017, 07:34 PM
Sorry you are having issues. Glad everyone is ok. Vehicles can be replaced

smokeywolf
09-05-2017, 07:41 PM
I've read that insurance companies typically draft the legislation that controls what is legally required of them. They rarely, if ever, lose money. Claims usually result in surcharges and if you try to change companies to avoid paying the surcharge, they protect each other by punishing you.

Your insurance premiums are just about pure profit for the insurance company and don't go toward pay for a claim. Your premiums do nothing more than guarantee you a loan from the insurance company should you have a claim.