PDA

View Full Version : Kaido Bullets

LBass
09-04-2017, 08:49 PM
Any of you guys ever used these Kaido Bullets? Used them on game? I've got a few bids in on some Blackpowder revolvers and I'm looking for another style of bullet to have on hand besides the .454 round ball. Just in case I get a chance at a deer up close.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVmYRePzoOQ&t=235s

They look to weigh 240 and have a nice flat meplat, Looks like a good option. Not sure how to get my hands on a mold yet or maybe some test bullets, but I don't own the gun yet either. Not in a big hurry.

Any feedback appreciated, Thanks, Lonnie

rodwha
10-14-2017, 02:22 PM
I've used the 240 grn version in my ROA as they drop at .456". They shot well but I often had one or two back out enough to bind the cylinder using 3F Triple 7. Not sure why this happened.

This bullet (and the 255 grn version) are modified versions of the 255 grn .45 Colt bullet from Lee. He now has another design that weighs about 200 grns I believe but I don't know anything about it.

I tried to order a mold many years ago during a time in which all things ammo related became hard to find and so Lee wasn't producing his molds. I waited months and finally went to Accurate Molds and created my own designs. I didn't see a need for that much lube with a pistol and wanted a bit wider of a meplat. And having ordered a Pietta Remington NMA I thought I'd get a slow twist (1:30") barrel so I designed a bullet to be about the length of a ball (.460") that weighs 195 grns.

I figured various projectiles would have different Accurate powder charges. But this isn't the case. Now I want to modify my designs to use lead as filler (measuring the excess seems like 230-240 grns will fill the chambers), increase the base length, and maybe rework the meplat to ~77% from something like 83% currently as I read that wide of a meplat can destabilize after about 50 yds (considering an Uberti Remington revolving carbine) as well as not fly true in the animal.

As you are considering using this for hunting you'll certainly want to consider an energetic powder to use as well. Initially, when I got my Ruger Old Army and noticed the size was about that of a .45 Colt, I asked on various BP forums about using them for hunting. For months I got the same response, that it would be inhumane as it can only achieve about standard .38 Spl ballistics. Eventually I found plenty of people who showed that by using a more energetic powder .45 ACP or better was most certainly achievable. With my 195 grn bullet and 30 grns (about 33 grns on the scale) I'm getting +/- 400 ft/lbs and with 35 grns (~38 grns) in my ROA I'm likely close to 500 ft/lbs judging by chronographed loads that are similar.

Olde Eynsford by Goex, Swiss, and Triple 7 all give this type of power. Pyrodex P seems to vary as I've seen dismal results closer to regular Goex and some that exceed (barely) Swiss results.