PDA

View Full Version : Star sizer locked up

Adam10mm
08-05-2008, 12:35 AM
I tried to add lube and remove the pressure assembly on my Star. I can't pull the assembly out. I ripped the sizer off my bench trying to do it. I also tried heating it up with a heat gun set on "nuclear", figuring there was dry lube in it that is hanging it up. No dice.

Suggestions? I was going to send it back to have Magma mess with it.

madcaster
08-05-2008, 01:03 AM
Reverse the pressure screw and cap,it will then screw into the lube cover.This is then turned to remove the assembly.
I hope I am desribing this correctly.
If it works,thank Lloyd Smale,if not,blame me!

GabbyM
08-05-2008, 01:10 AM
You might take that big bleed plug out on the left side. Should loose suction then.
I assume you've installed a lube stick before and know how it's done.

GabbyM
08-05-2008, 01:17 AM
I just figured out what madcaster was saying.
After screwing the jack screw into the spring assy then screw the cap down until it contacts the reservoir body. Then draw up the spring assy using the cap to wrench up the screw. huh. they should have that in the instructions.

Adam10mm
08-05-2008, 01:32 PM
Just took out the brass screw on the left and heated it up. Still nothing.

Here's where it locks up.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/freakshow10mm/Boolit%20Casting/P7270035.jpg

hotwheelz
08-05-2008, 02:01 PM
Have you tried to do what "madcaster " sudjested I just learned this trick over the weekend I took some pics. you take out the pressure screw turn it upside down screw it onto the spring assembly, then run the cap screw down it will slowly remove the spring assembly.

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg177/hotwheelz-1/Picture270.jpg
http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg177/hotwheelz-1/Picture271.jpg

WildmanJack
08-05-2008, 04:01 PM
+1 on what Hotwheels said. Sometimes it takes a while to get the spring assembly to move but constant presure should get it loose. Just don't get crazy trying to pull it at one time.. Depending on the type of lube in there and the age it may take a bit of time. Slow and easy it should pull out..
Good luck,
Jack

madcaster
08-05-2008, 04:16 PM
Pulling on it may damage the screws or the sizer,just keep turning the pressure screw-there is usually a small threaded rod that goes on top of the pressure screw when you are lubricating/sizing bullets the normal way.
This can also be used to turn the pressure screw when you are trying to withdraw it to add another lube stick...
WHEW!thanks for making it more clear than I ever can fellers!:drinks:

mtgrs737
08-05-2008, 04:40 PM
When you get it out, order and install the air cylinder in it's place, you will never convert it back.

Down South
08-05-2008, 06:13 PM
I had a problem getting the plunger out of my new Star the other day when I first used it. I did the "turn the take out the pressure screw turn it upside down screw it onto the spring assembly, then run the cap screw down it will slowly remove the spring" trick and it worked fine for me. It appeared to built like that for that purpose.

runfiverun
08-05-2008, 08:34 PM
kinda like a stuck case remover......
i have never had an aircylinder stuck, i have hit myself in the head a time or two pulling
it out though.

Adam10mm
08-05-2008, 11:55 PM
Nope, no dice. It follows down but then becomes real hard to turn, then loosens up like it slips the threads. Still stuck.

$250 and six weeks worth of waiting for this piece of junk? Garbage.

HeavyMetal
08-06-2008, 01:06 AM
At this point I will sugest, if the tool is still under warranty, that you at least call magma and see what they have to say.

Curious as to how long you've had this particular unit?

I think you can tell from the posted response's that your situation is not the norm.

Adam10mm
08-06-2008, 02:03 AM
I'd have to look at the invoice, but I think I got it this spring, April or so.

WildmanJack
08-06-2008, 09:05 AM
Freak,
try spraying some gun oil down the tube, let it sit for a while then start to put some pressure on the spring assembly with the presure screw. It may take a day or so to soften the old lube up, but it should help. I'm no boolet master but I sure have had my share of Star lubers and they are the best made, bar none.. I wonder what kindof lube was in the unit before you got it..
Jack

HeavyMetal
08-06-2008, 09:29 AM
If the unit was purchased new the only lube in the tool is what Freakshow has put in it! I don't believe Lube is the problem!

It sounds like it's got sometype of "burr" causing the ram to stop raising out of the lube resuvior?

Another possiblity is the spring, between the bottom seal and the top of the ram, has broken or come loose and locked itself against the tube?

If this is the case you may have to strip the luber completely and push the ram out the bottom of the tube after you get it apart. Since this looks to require a Jig of some type for assmbly, I'd really call Magma!

A thought that just hit me: The Star looks to be made in two sections in the lube tube area, any obstruction in the "joint" area could cause this problem!

I'd take a ram from anther Star, if you have one, hold it up to the outside of your problem child and see where anything on it might be catching inside the lube area!

Hope this helps!

sagamore-one
08-06-2008, 07:14 PM
Hey Mr. Freakshow.
Give the good folks at Magma a call. It has been my experience that they are EXTREMELY helpful and more than eager to help out. It sounds like you may have a mechanical breakage or obstruction causing the problem. I am down to 6 Star sizers and have a lot of experience using and troubleshooting them. ( at least 30 years and over a dozen units) The good folks at Magma have always helped me out. Be sure to ask for Eric.

Adam10mm
08-06-2008, 11:36 PM
The sizer is new, purchased by me in April for my bullet casting business. I use Lar's Red lube exclusively. I was hoping to have some bullets ready for next weekend's gun show, but that's a dream now.

I packed the sizer up today and shipped it back to Magma to have them piss around with.

HeavyMetal
08-07-2008, 12:12 AM
keep us posted as to what they tell you the problem is/was.

I've used a Star for a bunch of years and this is the first "mechanical" problem I've ever heard off. I know it has to be cause Lars lube ain't gonna do this!

jleneave
08-21-2008, 11:32 AM
The sizer is new, purchased by me in April for my bullet casting business. I use Lar's Red lube exclusively. I was hoping to have some bullets ready for next weekend's gun show, but that's a dream now.

I packed the sizer up today and shipped it back to Magma to have them piss around with.

Sorry to hear that you are having problems with your Star lube/sizer. You are the reason that I purchased one. I ordered mine right after I saw the video that you posted showing how fast and easy it was to sized and lube bullets. I was going to get the RCBS unit until I saw that video. The first time I added another stick of lube to my Star I had the same problem that you are having, but after I finally figure out how to pull it out as mentioned above it still wouldn't pull out until I pulled the brass plug. The manual really needs to be rewritten and go into a little more detail than it does. I hope that Magma does you right, please let us know how this turns out. Your expierence with customer service will probably be the deciding factor if I purchase any more Magma products or not. Take care.

Jody

madcaster
08-21-2008, 01:54 PM
Thanks Hotwheelz,that is exactly what I was trying to get across,only you did it so much better!

Adam10mm
08-24-2008, 04:36 PM
They wouldn't tell me what happened but said they spent an hour's worth of labor straightening the pressure screw. I told them that probably happened when I had pulled so hard to get the pressure assembly out that I ripped the sizer off my bench, which was secured with 2 inch screws. "So any idea on how the pressure assembly could be stuck in there that it would require that much force?" No answer, she just restated that it took an hour's worth of labor.

She said the brass screw should never be removed or loosened from the unit. I asked if she had ever personally used one of the company's sizers. She changed the subject.

They are charging me $60 for labor plus return shipping.

dardascastbullets
08-25-2008, 07:57 PM
Our commercial casting business is weighted very heavily with Magma machinery (including a Magma/Star Luber for blackpowder applications). We have experienced nothing but the best of sales and service from Magma (especially Mary, Robert, and the rest of the staff). They have a top-notch business that is second-to-none. We will always purchase their products and seek their advice when needed.

Matt

HeavyMetal
08-25-2008, 09:45 PM
Lots of people say they get good service from Magma so it seems to me a straight answer to what was wrong with your sizer, just in case it was something you did, shouldn't be that hard.

I will suggest you try another phone call and ask for one of the people dardascastbullets has referenced in the previous post.

However I've made three calls to Magma, never gotten an answer that made sense, and I suspect you won't either.

Please let us know if you do find out what the problem was. A lot of us use Star's and I for one want to know what I might break and how to avoid it!

AzShooter
08-30-2008, 02:03 AM
I just ran out of my first tube of Lars Red lube, the same stuff you are using on your Star and had the same problem. I tried and could get the pring within inches of coming out but the reverse pressure kept forcing it back.

I took the brass screw from the side to reduce the pressure, punch a hole in the lube that's built up there, then I put a screwdriver into the spring assembly, gave it a quarter turn to make contact and pulled the spring out with absolutely no problem.

I hope this works for you. If you need pictures contact me and I'll be happy to help.

Adam10mm
08-31-2008, 10:50 AM
Got the sizer back. Mounted it and tried to get the assembly out. Came out just fine.

I think they just replaced the whole pressure assembly. The one I sent in had marks on the underside of the big black nut that sits on top of the lube reservoir. The one that I have now is flawless.

Cost me $76.95 to essentially replace the pressure screw assembly and ship it back.

copdills
08-31-2008, 12:46 PM
Glad you got it back Freakshow and I hope you don't have anymore problems