PDA

View Full Version : Ruff service bulb broke - tried a LED bulb

pmer
09-03-2017, 09:59 AM
So far so good, I've bumped it a few times and it is still going. I was at the grocery store and suddenly remembered I needed a bulb for the trouble light. The store didn't have ruff service bulbs but had some LED bulbs. I figured its worth a try because of the way LEDs are soldered in place.

Haven't dropped it yet, I suppose that's the final test.

Bookworm
09-03-2017, 10:24 AM
At Christmas one year I received an LED head that screwed into my trouble light, replacing the bulb and the big metal guard (or plastic, for the newer ones). The head is flat, and throws the light one way, which solves the squinting problem. It works like a champ, and hasn't failed yet, even with the rough treatment it gets. (they are called 'drop lights' for a reason, right ?)
http://c.shld.net/rpx/i/s/i/spin/image/spin_prod_888255012?hei=245&wid=245&op_sharpen=1&qlt=85

It came from sears, I believe.

starmac
09-03-2017, 11:45 AM
You guys still use corded trouble lights. wow. lol

Finster101
09-03-2017, 11:50 AM
Decent rechargeable led lights off the tool trucks are somewhere in the $100.00 range. Worth every penny when you are stuffed up under a dash trying to get tiny screws out to change an actuator.

10x
09-03-2017, 11:59 AM
LED headlamp is the ticket.

Bookworm
09-03-2017, 01:43 PM
You guys still use corded trouble lights. wow. lol

Corded trouble light, yes.

I use air impacts and ratchets.

And I have 5 times as many SAE tools as I have metric.

Smoke4320
09-03-2017, 01:50 PM
but how many metric adjustable wrenches do you have ?
and a real mechanic has at least 2 LEFT hand metric adjustable spanners

6bg6ga
09-03-2017, 02:04 PM
Left hand what? LOL

Grmps
09-03-2017, 02:08 PM
but how many metric adjustable wrenches do you have ?
and a real mechanic has at least 2 LEFT hand metric adjustable spanners

I thought they only sold those in OZ

starmac
09-03-2017, 02:08 PM
I put off buying cordless impacts for years, except for the 1/4 and 3/8. I finally bought the 1/2 and 3/4 last summer and never drag out an air hose unless I need the 1 inch. They have 7oo and 760 ft pounds torque in forward and over 100 hundred in reverse, I was amazed at what they were capable of.

starnbar
09-03-2017, 02:14 PM
Yeah my #3 son uses a portable elec impact and I really didn't think a lot of em until I borrowed his 3/4 to take off some truck tires worked like a charm and like the man said they have got plenty of torque.

Grmps
09-03-2017, 02:35 PM
I used to carry the Makita 18V LXT 6 pc combo plus 1/2" impact wrench, led flashlight and a few spare batteries and it served me well on many occasions

woodbutcher
09-03-2017, 03:30 PM
:) Yesterday,I got a cordless drill at WalMart when I took a friend to do some shopping.I needed some ATF,and when I turned into the oil asile MY MY There lay a PAIR of 20 dollar bills.So I checked out the tool asile.Had a little one on sale for$18.73.Hyper Tough brand.Tried it today,and it works pretty good.Will see about long term.It`s an 18 volt.3/8th VS type.Hand tighten chuck.Should do ok for my needs.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

MaryB
09-03-2017, 09:21 PM
My 1/2" inch cordless impact gets used a LOT, I have swapped tires with it, used it to drive 6" lag screws, did some tower assembly with it...

MT Gianni
09-04-2017, 09:48 PM
I used a Dewalt 1/2" 18V for work, breaking down gas meters and vic pipe couplings. I would get 3-4 years out of one with 7-8 months annual usage. The rest of the year it sat in a truck bin exposed to winter temps. They would easily hit the 125 ft lbs of torque to to change a tire.

Finster101
09-04-2017, 09:56 PM
Corded trouble light, yes.

I use air impacts and ratchets.

And I have 5 times as many SAE tools as I have metric.

Dinosaur ! :mrgreen:

frkelly74
09-04-2017, 11:11 PM
I got one of the 1/4" impact drivers from home depot. It is a Ridgid 18 volt battery outfit. It will drive 6" screws into solid wood when it is set on #3 easily. I have not needed to try it on anything automotive yet but may very soon. The el cheapo 1/2" impact driver I got from Auto Zone has worked well for me when I need to take wheels off or remove a pully.

pmer
09-05-2017, 12:55 AM
I'm a dinosaur too. Corded drop lights and air impacts. But I can see the usefulness of a cordless impact wrench. You guys are probably going to get me to spend money! :-? Again..

Goatwhiskers
09-05-2017, 07:49 AM
Those metric adjustable spanners down in OZ have the head on the opposite end of the handle from ours. GW

bedbugbilly
09-05-2017, 08:46 AM
I had a corded trouble light that I use all the time out in the shop before we moved - yea, I'm a dinosaur too. LOL When we moved in to town, as I sorted stuff out I would it up and when we had a garage sale, put it out - put a $1 on it. Guess what was still there. Since then, I've tried giving it away thinking someone could use it - no takers. It is still out in the garage. Next step - Goodwill. :-)

I'll admit the new lights are certainly somethng. When we were fine the condo up that we moved in to, we changed all the bulbs to LED - what a difference! When I sorted through my tools, all I could think of is how old some of them are. A wrench will always be a wrench and a hammer a hammer, but there are certainly a lot o improved tools out there that make the work easier. I remember when cordless drills came out and I switched to them - no more cords to worry about and keyless chucks were a nice touch too. I don't have impact wrenches but I can only imagine how much easier it is to not have to drag that hose around.

dragon813gt
09-05-2017, 09:45 AM
Batteries are no replacement for a cord. Yes, they've gotten better. And since I fly w/ my tools my trouble light is a 12v Bosch that uses the same battery as the drill and impact. But if you're going to run lights all day you want a cord. At my previous job the corded trouble light had a socket on it so it allowed me to plug in a soot vac right at the unit. Came in w/ me to every oil cleaning. Sometimes two of them did because dark and dingy basements were the norm. A headlamp was great for seeing in nooks and crannies. But it's hard to beat a constant light source in some applications.

MaryB
09-05-2017, 07:44 PM
I figured I would only use my cordless impact in the garage... nope it has been 30' in the air at the top of one of my towers, out in the backyard pulling a flat off the lawnmower so I could patch the tire again, over to the neighbors to loosen a bolt on her grill so she could replace a burner...

I'm a dinosaur too. Corded drop lights and air impacts. But I can see the usefulness of a cordless impact wrench. You guys are probably going to get me to spend money! :-? Again..