PDA

View Full Version : Moly Bullet Lube For Newbies

dagger dog
08-04-2008, 05:52 PM
Well I got the bug real bad , and I'm wanting to shoot some of these little 22caliber pills that I labored so hard to make. But I want to have a good experiance as my first one. Sooo here's another one for ya'll to help the newbie out with.

Bought all this nice new equipment , from Lyman, supposed to be all ya need (yeah sure) but I'm the gullible type ! They sent this moly lube, with the sizer, I've shot a few moly coated jacketed bullets but thats a far as my knowledge goes with moly.
Is this lubestick worth putting in my sizer, should I go with the alox beeswax? I'm planning on shooting these as fast as I can push the little 55gr buggers, and I got them gas checked, and don't want to start out leading the barrels, the bullet is 225515 and I'm going to try them in Hornet & .223 Rem.

all input greatly appreciated!:confused:

Yeah it was a typo

missionary5155
08-04-2008, 06:22 PM
Greetings I wonder on your mold... .245 is the diameter I shoot in my .winchester .243....
Possible this is just a typo... But if your mold is .245.. you better check things out. A.245 bullet in a Hornet or .223 is not going to chamber.. probably will not enter the case mouth .

Maven
08-04-2008, 06:29 PM
dagger dog, I've used 9 or 10 sticks of Lyman's Super Moly lube in the .243Win. to the .45-70 and really can't complain about its performance. However, I rarely push my CB's beyond 1,800fps, so I don't know at what velocity it will fail. You should know that it will stain anything it comes in contact with, e.g. clothing; that it shrinks/falls out of the lube grooves over time; and that it will flow through your lube-sizer at 50 - 55 deg. F.

Boomer Mikey
08-04-2008, 06:33 PM
Probably the 225415 47-55 grain Lyman (depending on alloy.)

The Lyman molly lube is OK but there are better lubes. I'm using LBT Blue, many here will say Lar's red carnuba lube is their choice and several others. I've used the Lyman molly... too messy for my tastes.

Checkout the LAR45's LsStuff link on the botton of this page.

Boomer :Fire:

JIMinPHX
08-04-2008, 11:48 PM
The moly lube works really well from a lubrication standpoint, but it can be a bit messy to work with. I’ve had 55-grain .22 cal slugs up over 3,000 fps with no leading of the barrel when using moly lube in a .223.

You really don’t want to just dump a bunch of boolits into a bulk pile after you lube them up with moly though. The stuff gets everywhere that it’s not supposed to be if you do. Also, if you leave lubed boolits out in the open air, the moly lube dries out & shrinks noticeably. You can prevent this by storing them in a sealed plastic margarine tub or zip lock bag. The hard lubes give you boolits that are less of a hassle & mess to deal with, but they require a heater on the lubrisizer.

There are several good threads on shooting cast .22’s here on the board. The most notable is the three part series that Beagle posted on Cast Pics.

JIMinPHX
08-05-2008, 06:49 AM
My antics with the .223 & some references to other good threads can be found here –

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=27429

jhalcott
08-05-2008, 01:45 PM
I've used Teflon tape and LLA on the 225415 ,gas checked. In my .223 contender I t was very fast , about 27-2800 fps but not real accurate. I have not been able to get back to this project as other things have come up. My bullets were cast from Linotype and weigh 49 grains. I have not used Moly on any thing but the 6mm Jwords, and did not get enough improvement in performance to justify the expense or work involved.

dagger dog
08-05-2008, 05:32 PM
It sounds like the moly is ok, so I think I'll try it, and yes it is messy. I'm a auto mechanic been turning wrenches for a litlle over thirty years now, we use molydisulfide grease for a lubricant, on several parts of the cars I work on and it smears every where, you can't hardly wipe the stuff off!

I bought a heater for the sizer, so after this first batch I may try out some of the harder lubes and not make so much of a mess. The tip on keeping the lubed bullets air tigh will be well heeded.

Many thanks!

Blammer
08-05-2008, 05:35 PM
I personally like the lyman black moly lube! worked well in my pistols and rifles so far!

I've only used the one tube, and when it was gone I managed to trade into several sticks of other stuff that also work well.

I'd say go for it!