PDA

View Full Version : Retirement Gift - Semper Fi

mtnman31
09-01-2017, 11:57 PM
Yesterday, I officially retired from the Marine Corps - 25 years. My time in the Marines was great and I will surely miss it.

My last assignment was supporting the fleet at a Program Office. I worked with mostly a bunch of civilians and contractors with just a few military members in the office (only one other Marine and a handful of sailors). Normally, Marines all chip in and get a going away gift or retirement gift for those departing. Since there weren't a bunch of active duty Marines there, the retired Marines all chipped in and decided to take care of me with a great retirement gift. They got me the below pictured pistol. It is a Rock Island 1911. They also got a reproduction WWII belt and holster to carry it in along with the custom grips. The other side of the grip has a personalized message engraved in it.

My wife had the wooden ammo crate made for me with images of some of my shooting medals. My friends knew me well enough to know that giving me a retirement plaque or shadow box wasn't befitting of my personality. I'm not too sentimental in that way. They got me the pistol knowing that I am an avid shooter and that it would be something that I'd use.
Nice stuff that I thought I'd share.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/Retirment_Gift.jpg

JBinMN
09-02-2017, 12:36 AM
OUTSTANDING!
:drinks:

Congrats on your retirement! I wish ya well in your future endeavors, and hope you find happiness in whatever ya decide to do from now on!
:)

Semper Fidelis!
:)

nicholst55
09-02-2017, 01:05 AM
Excellent! That your co-workers cared enough to do this speaks volumes about your character and personality! Enjoy your retirement gift.

lightman
09-02-2017, 06:23 AM
Congratulations! And Thanks for your service.

6bg6ga
09-02-2017, 06:35 AM
Dido on what lightman said.

Lloyd Smale
09-02-2017, 06:53 AM
I salute you sir!! thank you!!!!

CastingFool
09-02-2017, 07:37 AM
Thank you for your service. that is a great retirement gift, and a testimony how much you were appreciated by your fellow Marines.

BrassMagnet
09-02-2017, 07:39 AM
Wow!

Much nicer and far more useful than my shadow box!

Fair winds and following seas!

GhostHawk
09-02-2017, 07:47 AM
Awesomesauce!

Semper Fi Sir! <Salute> I'm no marine, but I thank you for your service.

You and all of those like you who stood on the wall to keep me and my country safe.

Wear that gun out, shoot the living daylights out of it. Enjoy it, well earned I think.

skeettx
09-02-2017, 08:01 AM
May BLUE skys follow you
Well done, well done
I like the box, it is personal and well depicted.
Mike

Pb Burner
09-02-2017, 08:36 AM
Awesome. Congratulations on your retirement, and thank you for your service!

Riverpigusmc
09-02-2017, 11:02 AM
congrats, great gifts

Der Gebirgsjager
09-02-2017, 11:17 AM
Thanks for the photos of your gifts, and for your service to our nation. I hope you enjoy a long and peaceful retirement.

lefty o
09-02-2017, 12:31 PM
that beats the heck out of a watch! congrats on the retirement.

flint45
09-02-2017, 12:35 PM
Thank you so much for your service.My son has 8 years in the Marines he has a way to go.

William Yanda
09-02-2017, 12:51 PM
Thank you for your service. Enjoy your retirement.

Char-Gar
09-02-2017, 01:04 PM
I hope your retirement will be as good to you as your service. That is a wonderful gift and as the years go by will be a treasure close to your heart. Keep it clean and lubed as you were taught in the Corp.

Alstep
09-02-2017, 05:51 PM
Congratulations, great parting gift. Doesn't get much better than that.
Hold center & keep your powder dry!
Semper Fi!

bedbugbilly
09-02-2017, 06:05 PM
Congrats on your retirement - thank you for your service - and I hope you and your wife have many years of enjoyment after the service you have given to us all.

I wasn't in the service but my good friend, who was like a second Dad to me, was in the Corps and served in the Pacific during WWII. I always enjoyed his stories and if there is one thing that I learned from him, you might retire or be discharged from the Marines - but you will ALWAYS be a Marine - and that's a "badge of honor" that you have so just earned!

If he were here today, I know his first reply to you would be "Semper Fi"! Good luck to you!

buckwheatpaul
09-02-2017, 06:59 PM
Great gift for a great person.....thanks for your service!

Treetop
09-02-2017, 07:02 PM
Congratulations, mtnman!
I love that custom shooting box with our EG&A burned on it! I have two identical Rock Island FS 1911s and love them. I've had them for 5-6 years now and they have been utterly reliable with any handloads or factory loads I've shot. One of them is in my EDC rotation and the other "lives" in my truck. They both get used regularly at the range.
Semper Fi, and happy retirement, Brother! Treetop

smokeywolf
09-02-2017, 07:43 PM
mtnman31,

A very serious thanks for your service and sacrifice. And, I feel it also appropriate to thank your family for theirs while supporting you. That wonderful ammo box is a pretty good indicator that you have a wife with impeccable taste.

Use and show the pistol and ammo box often. In fact, a good picture of that ammo box would make for a great avatar.

Congrats sir, on your retirement.

woodbutcher
09-02-2017, 09:33 PM
:) Outstanding Sir.Thanks for your service.May you enjoy many healthy,happy and prosperous years ahead.God bless you and yours,and keep you safe.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

Moonie
09-02-2017, 09:35 PM
Thank you for your service and congratulations Marine. I was not one but I raised one.

Lefty SRH
09-02-2017, 10:19 PM
Wow what a great retirement gift! Thank you for your service Mtnman! I salute you.

shooterg
09-06-2017, 09:30 PM
My Pop "borrowed" a 1911 when he came home from WWII(Asian theater Marine) . Glad they didn't give you an M9 !
Feed that thing regular and enjoy life - Semper Fi

Ole Joe Clarke
09-07-2017, 07:49 AM
Congratulations on your retirement and thank you for your service. Shoot the pistol a lot and fill the box up with good memories.

Have a blessed day,

Leon

Suo Gan
09-07-2017, 09:35 AM
Those are some really nice gifts. I'm sure you will be missed.

jmort
09-07-2017, 09:46 AM
Well deserved.
Great thread
I like the box comissioned by your wife
The medals speak for themselves
God Bless and God Speed