PDA

View Full Version : Shooting Alone >>> PRODUCTIVE PRACTICE <<< Having Fun Too

OS OK
09-01-2017, 06:52 PM
I came across a random Y-Tube Channel the other day... https://www.youtube.com/user/mixup98/videos ...and I was impressed with this old Cop's shooting. He's a desert rat from Nevada and has an interesting string of videos...he has his own style and I like that.

One of his older videos had to do with shooting basics...you know, the stuff we take for granted, the 'ABC's'...yet when we are out of practice or when we find ourselves getting sloppy, we seldom drop back to the basics and generally, we put the blame on platform or something to do with the ammo.

I've noticed lately, that being distracted by working up HP loads and perfecting Pb blends...I have been shooting 'sloppily'...Oh, I get through the Chrono bars OK without 'plugging the instrument' but my rounds have not been anything to brag about beyond the Chrono and landing on target in some configuration of a group.
I place a target beyond the Chrono to aim at and hope that I can get the speed of a particular string of workups, check for primer pressure and see how they group all in the same whack.

Well...that hasn't been working too well lately...I don't want to admit this but..."I have developed a 'push' with the 1911...an unconscious physical effort to meet the recoil...duhhh! >>>It's called flinching!<<< OOOh...did I say that? 'Flinching', pushing or whatever you want to call it. It's deadly to your accuracy and it's hard to cure without a conscious effort to retrain the automatic responses of the human body.

Well...back to old desert rat 'mixup98'...one of his videos was his explaining the basics of pistol shooting for accuracy...this ole boy can shoot well, double action, auto...heck, I thought I'd check this out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fG96eEtOqk ... titled ... Beginners Guide To Pistol Shooting - How To Become An Expert.

Well, it didn't take but a few minutes to realize that I've been taught this many times, heck - I know these things but...the question was, "Why am I not paying attention to them now...what's changed?"
Answer..."I dunnoh, but I do know that I need to work a plan to practice alone here on the rancho and figure a way to improve my sloppy shooting skills...hmmm, done deal - here's what I came up with..."

*I need to make this fun...shooting at bullseyes gets pretty old! I want to do this several times a week.
*I need to retrain my automatic responses...I need to work on sight alignment and triggering correctly.
*I want to concentrate on follow up shots...no more trying to stand there and take up time aiming and doing all the 'thinking' about trigger control, just get back to the 'automatic' method of...'spot the target...bring the weapon up to sight alignment...bang, repeat'.

Allright...here's what I came up with.
*I downloaded an app. for the iPhone4 to use it as a 'shot timer'. I want to fire 8 rounds in under 10 seconds.
*I want to practice from 10 yards...30 feet. I think the average self defense shooting is 11 feet...that should be a 'gimme' if I practice at a longer distance. Of course in a self defense situation you have to deal with a lot more than accuracy...you must be 'determined' and 'steel the nerves'.
I'd like to get to where my rounds will all land in the 'central mass' and I want to stop all the bad habits I have.
If and when I get that far...I want to shrink my groups.
*I'll fire a string of 8 rounds, mark the shots on target and then take a break and see what the shot timer says..."Am I under 10 seconds?" I want my timing to become automatic and I don't want to feel like I have to 'hurry up'.

Here's todays first round of 6 sets of 8 rounds on 2 targets...After each set I examined the target, marked the holes and tried to make some sense of why they 'grouped' were where they were?
These old targets have a 3" bull.

Well, being a 'Lefty' it's easy to see that I'm 'sloppy on the trigger and pushing'. OOOh! I hate that word...but...the next 8 rounds I tried to 'retrain my mind and body' to 'change the shooting habits'...

Here's sets 4 through 6...same problem but several of the sets showed promise and practice, practice, practice should make a difference!
Still pushing, still sloppy on the trigger.

Perhaps some of you have a method of shooting where you enjoy the day and improve your skills at the same time...I'd like to hear what you do.

Oklahoma Rebel
09-01-2017, 07:17 PM
Good for you!!, I too need to think less about casting/reloading, and DO more shooting!

MyFlatline
09-01-2017, 07:24 PM
I think it is a double edged sword, when casting and developing loads, that is where you focus your energy. For me, I have been struggling to create some new hunting loads for this year. Thankfully , I got some to work, now is the shooting. Snap shooting at 100 is quite the challenge.....and I need some work.

Always good to mix in some fun time with the work faze, IMO

OS OK
09-01-2017, 07:44 PM
Just last week I was rummaging through the ammo locker and this little voice in my head said...

"Look at all this! What the heck are you doing loading more? Charlie!...you need to empty some of this brass, posthaste!"

And...for a change. . . 'I listened'!

:bigsmyl2:

Thumbcocker
09-01-2017, 08:28 PM
I tell the voices in my head that they aren't the boss of me and I will do what I darn well please.

Tom W.
09-01-2017, 08:30 PM
I have more ammo loaded than I do firearms to shoot it. The closest comfortable outdoor range is at least 40 miles from here, and I never went there from here. The indoor range is not comfortable, but I can shoot for free. If I put my range bag and my pelican case on the cross member I can shoot supported, if not it's offhand. Either way it's cramped. Recoil doesn't bother me in calibers up to .44 mag or Ruger only .45 Colt loads, except the other day I had just gotten home from the hospital and found that my LC9s pro had gotten more snappy than I had remembered. Anyway, my shots with my new to me S&W model 19 were great! The first two were touching and cutting the X, with the next four just a tad outside to the left in the 10. My Glock 19 shot well, but always a bit low and left. That I have to work on.

Except for two times, all of my shooting with handguns has been either at targets or hunting. The other two times was a life or death situation, and I suppose you can guess who won. I've gotten so I don't care to hunt with rifles anymore. I'm starting to ramble, I'd best hush....

OS OK
09-01-2017, 08:40 PM
I have more ammo loaded than I do firearms to shoot it. The closest comfortable outdoor range is at least 40 miles from here, and I never went there from here. The indoor range is not comfortable, but I can shoot for free. If I put my range bag and my pelican case on the cross member I can shoot supported, if not it's offhand. Either way it's cramped. Recoil doesn't bother me in calibers up to .44 mag or Ruger only .45 Colt loads, except the other day I had just gotten home from the hospital and found that my LC9s pro had gotten more snappy than I had remembered. Anyway, my shots with my new to me S&W model 19 were great! The first two were touching and cutting the X, with the next four just a tad outside to the left in the 10. My Glock 19 shot well, but always a bit low and left. That I have to work on.

Except for two times, all of my shooting with handguns has been either at targets or hunting. The other two times was a life or death situation, and I suppose you can guess who won. I've gotten so I don't care to hunt with rifles anymore. I'm starting to ramble, I'd best hush....

I'm sorry you were forced into that situation but...I'm glad you came out on top. They shoulda known better than to mess with a Bama Boy!

texassako
09-01-2017, 09:39 PM
Stepping away from shooting much for a couple of years ended up with a side benefit for me. Kind of enlightening really. A lot of bad shooting habits (and good) are just muscle memory, that I have now lost. I get to start from scratch now, empty a bunch of old loads practicing form, and shoot a bunch of random cast bullets set aside as good but not good enough.

OS OK
09-02-2017, 02:52 PM
Today's practice went a little better, I don't think my shooting changed appreciabily but, I think that I have discovered that my Commander likes my TL-200g.-SWC's better than the 200g. L-RNFP's...Both Lee moulds & same powder and charge, same sizing but different profile?

?Do you fellas think there could be this much difference between the loads or this is just a fluke and time will tell?
I'm going to stay with the TL-200g.-SWC's just to see.

These are the L-RNFP's...

These are the TL-200-SWC's...

EDIT...Today I was concentrating on one thing only...'Keeping the front sight in crisp focus'.

CORRECTION . . . I wrote Bullseye powder on the target when I was in the middle of a 'brain fart' . . . it's actually 700X.

fivefang
09-02-2017, 05:08 PM
OS OK, I also am a Desertrat, & shoot by myself, Rifle & Pistol, been casting & loading since '55, I love the Desert, but where I shoot I have no phone service, so I make it a point to call a friend & tell where I'm going & when I will call back, I'm 83, & scrounge the backstop for lead, that way I do have someone looking for me if I do not call the friend back, I feel that is a important safety factor, Fivefang

OS OK
09-02-2017, 07:26 PM
At 83 your a little more fragile than when you were going on 70...it's hard to admit to yourself that you cant do what you used to do all your life. I suppose we do still do it for the most part, only a wee little bitt slower and a heck of a lot more carefully.
I'm finding that out this past two summers doing this irrigation project here...whew, it about kicked my butt. Still have 50K sq. ft. to go but that'll be a cake walk compared to what we have done thus far. Have my best friend from Church helping and he's 69!

Please don't think I meant any disrespect when I referred to 'desert rats', I say that with admiration and full respect. When we were kids on the San Bernard in Texas we pridefully referred to ourselves as River Rats...our fish camp was River Rat Island.

You sound like you have a level head about you and your survival were you to get into trouble. I would imagine that you have a couple days of supplies in the truck were you to get stranded somewhere...right?
It reminds me of my diving days...'Plan your dive and dive your plan...never dive alone!'

I was in your neck of the woods a couple years back when I was trying to find Art Bells house, I wanted to see that 5 acre long wire Ham antenna he built...hmmm it's something to behold. That antenna has 400+ volts on it all the time...coming from induction right out of the atmosphere!

Tom W.
09-02-2017, 07:42 PM
OSOK, have you tried the Lee 230 gr.tc bullet? I have it and a 195 gr. Swc, and while the smaller boolits shoot lighter and probably a tad cheaper, the bigger boolits are mighty accurate.... I lube with Carnauba Red on everything but fireforming loads for my 30-06ai, and if I'm feeling particularly froggy I'll even finger lube those!

OS OK
09-02-2017, 08:03 PM
No, I'm almost ashamed to say that I haven't even bought a mould for that weight, well other than an old Ideal .45 SWC HP single cavity that goes about 235g. when PC'd and they shoot well in the 1911 and the SAA.
I have been shooting the 200g. because I thought they might stretch my Pb stash a bit and they are pretty zippy.
The ones that grouped so well today were TL 200 SWC's and PC'd...I see that Midway has the 6 cavity TL452 230 TC on sale @ $39 and change...maybe I oughta try that? The TL design is just made for PC'ing.

Thumbcocker
09-02-2017, 08:07 PM
Fifvefang; How about a thread with some of your desert stories and experiences. Please.

psweigle
09-02-2017, 08:24 PM
Yes, at 83, I'm sure us young fellas would love to pick your brain!

Tom W.
09-02-2017, 08:58 PM
Can't say about the tl model..... although I don't have any reason to doubt it......

Treetop
09-02-2017, 09:43 PM
Fifvefang; How about a thread with some of your desert stories and experiences. Please.

Plus One!

tazman
09-02-2017, 10:20 PM
OS OK----Do you fellas think there could be this much difference between the loads or this is just a fluke and time will tell?

Yes, there could easily be that much difference. My 1911 shows a slight preference for the Lee TL200 SWC. Many of the other boolits I have tried in it don't compare well at all though some are close.
You might even try a lower powder charge. I shoot mine at around 760-800 fps. If I speed things up, the groups open up a bit.

OS OK
09-03-2017, 12:00 AM
Can't say about the tl model..... although I don't have any reason to doubt it......

I went out and checked a bunch of moulds I bought as a lot just now...Aaaah Ha! I had a 2C TL 452 230 TC, what luck. Will have to wait to next week when the new Chronograph arrives to work up a load. This Pb blend is 2 (COWW) to 1 (Isotope Redneck Gold) +1% Sn, just some extra from another pour I had about 10 lbs left over...it's 11BHN. These are dropping at 239.2~240.7g. They look pretty good right out of the bag...cast diameter is 453~454"

Got any suggestions? Speed? Etc?

OS OK----Do you fellas think there could be this much difference between the loads or this is just a fluke and time will tell?

Yes, there could easily be that much difference. My 1911 shows a slight preference for the Lee TL200 SWC. Many of the other boolits I have tried in it don't compare well at all though some are close.
You might even try a lower powder charge. I shoot mine at around 760-800 fps. If I speed things up, the groups open up a bit.

Thanks Taz...I think these are running at 867FPS Avg. I'll load some down to the 800 level and try them...I'd really like to have a 200g. be the accurate load. I'ma stingy leadmonger!

OS OK
09-03-2017, 05:37 PM
I PC'd a couple hundred of the TL 452 230 TC's in Copper and Brass, sized them @ .4517 and decided to use Unique @ 4.9g. (5.0g. was the minimum load for a 230g. L)...I was spitwadding here a bit because I don't have any references for 240g. in the ACP...part of the problem too was that Lee Load Manual suggest a minimum OAL of 1.270", mine are going to seat at 1.220" which imposes a wee little bit on case volume there.
Anyway I got the 4.9g. load through the old Chrono before it started lying again...I'm not certain that these numbers are even within 50 FPS, so...I'll just wait until next week for the new Chrono to arrive...they did shoot 3 out of 5 bulls, the other two went to 3 O'Clock in the first white ring.

We'll know more next week...

Bama
09-03-2017, 07:01 PM
Plus One!

Make that a plus two, still trying to figure out how to make it to 83, Heck even 82 would work!

fivefang
09-03-2017, 07:25 PM
Thumbcocker,I thank you for asking, I started reloading in'55 for a '73 win. in 38/40,185gr. pb. young & dumb, let it get away from me, then a Single Six with a red emblem, in '57 I got my first .44-61/2" Blackhawk,(favorit load: 215 GC =27.5gr 2400), am a ret. Millwright, Pile-Driver, Carpenter, my reduced rim .45/70 is on a '95Styer straight-pull action, 9x19 cz, 9x23 tok, 7.62x25 tok, 1911 .45 acp norinco, sar.45 acp, & I Praise our Creator for being abundantly blessed, Fivefang

fivefang
09-03-2017, 07:46 PM
Bama, yeah, I never thought that I would last that long, bad back, both knees replaced, prostrate cancer,( proton@ Loma Linda) & a touch of asbestosis, Yes, I am very very thankful for all that I am blessed with, I primarily live on a plant-based diet, seem's to keep me well, Fivefang

Thumbcocker
09-03-2017, 08:26 PM
Would love to "hear" some desert tromping, shooting or other stories you would be willing to share. A flat top .44 Ruger and a whole desert to plink in in the 50"s sounds like good living to me.