PDA

View Full Version : Look what I've found in the garbage!

shaman
08-31-2017, 09:45 AM
I found this in the garbage can at work:

It's a graphite fixture that our company's mfg operation uses for baking components. They degrade over time, and when they get cracked or corroded, they get pitched. I found the lady responsible for final inspection and started acquiring the broken ones. She gave me about a dozen a few weeks ago, and I'm getting a couple more every week.

I thought these would be good for a couple of boolit-related issues. The outside dimensions are roughly 6"X6." The holes are between .30 and .50 inch. The one in the picture would let me put 64 45 cal boolits neatly arranged on a tray prior to baking. It's graphite and fixture is meant for much higher temperatures than what you'd normally find in your average toaster oven. Another idea I had was putting one of these in the bottom of a pie pan prior to pouring pan lube. The graphite would take up a lot of room and reduce the need for lube to fill the pan.

What do y'all think?

lightman
08-31-2017, 11:23 AM
Interesting, the things we rescue and reuse!

Texas by God
08-31-2017, 01:19 PM
I bet you could fashion custom loading blocks as well. Good score.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Hardcast416taylor
08-31-2017, 01:58 PM
Some years back I was doing a plumbing job in a metals testing lab at a stamping metal plant. A lab tech knew I cast and asked if I could use some items they were tossing. The first was a 10 lb. ingot of tin that had been a door stop! The other metal item was an damascus bar of metal 2" wide by 10" long by 3/16" thick! He had no idea what that was there for and was being tossed. It made up into a really nice knife.Robert

smokeywolf
08-31-2017, 03:36 PM
Walking into the Studio Machine Shop one morning at MGM, laborers were striking a set. Two of them carried a 2" thick, 3' x 3' sheet of Plexiglas with the paper still on both sides; through it in the dumpster.

Oklahoma Rebel
09-01-2017, 04:21 PM
what!?!? that stuff is EXPENSIVE!!!!

country gent
09-01-2017, 05:02 PM
We made guards and covers out of 1/2" thick clear lexan, The scraps made great loading blocks and other things. Dish washer safe and pretty much indestructible in use. Machines good and finishes nicely.

bedbugbilly
09-01-2017, 08:39 PM
One man's junk is another man's treasure!

Oklahoma Rebel
09-01-2017, 10:30 PM
so true!

CastingFool
09-02-2017, 07:52 AM
When I was still working, I would go dumpster diving quite often. Among my prizes, there were two sets of Peltor earmuffs in pretty good shape, and two India sharpening stones that had not been used very much at all. I even found some money that someone had gotten back in change from a fast food place. and thrown away with the trash. Also, numerous pop bottles with the MI 10 cent deposit. I often carried $200-$300 in cash, from the bottle returns. Way I looked at it, it was free money to spend anyway I wanted.

Hardcast416taylor
09-02-2017, 12:31 PM
The thing that I saw and rescued from being crushed in a plant baler was a wood pallet that was already broken in several places. What nobody saw that I did was that it was made from birdseye maple wood! I made knife scales and a pair of revolver grips from it for quite awhile. And people called me crazy for digging it out, but soon were wanting things made from it!Robert

adcoch1
09-02-2017, 05:56 PM
Speaking of things thrown away, a good friend told me last night that his son in law just threw away 300# of lead alloy! Said it was too hard to make sinkers out of because it had too much tin in it. I coulda cried since I've been looking for cheap alloy... But the garbage truck had come already...

smokeywolf
09-02-2017, 06:42 PM
Speaking of things thrown away, a good friend told me last night that his son in law just threw away 300# of lead alloy! Said it was too hard to make sinkers out of because it had too much tin in it. I coulda cried since I've been looking for cheap alloy... But the garbage truck had come already...

Somebody find a tree, I'll bring the rope.[smilie=b:

jarhead0321usmc
09-02-2017, 09:52 PM
Apparently he doesn't realize that, that's the kind of nonsense that gets you replaced.

adcoch1
09-02-2017, 10:22 PM
Yeah he knew it was bullet alloy too, amateur caster, but he didn't toss his moulds. I am working on getting them from him, and the rest of his reloading stuff too....