PDA

View Full Version : Cars,Vans,Trucks,Motorcycles and FIREARMS from Texas

DCP
08-31-2017, 09:24 AM
So what happens to all the Cars,Vans,Trucks,Motorcycles and FIREARMS from Texas :(

shell70634
08-31-2017, 10:01 AM
Same thing they did for Rita and Katrina. Vehicles sold at auction, cleaned up and sent north for resale. Beware. Around here the guns are taken to a shop and cleaned and back in service. I did buy a couple that sat to long for parts.

Shelly

Taylor
08-31-2017, 10:07 AM
Several years ago,after Katrina.I was looking at a Jeep in Hopkinsville,Ky.It looked clean..but I looked hard...the wiring connections were full of dirt(dried mud).Underneath the jeep was still full of mud in all the little cubby holes.

In the glove box was a letter,I don't remember who issued it.But it went on to say that it was a victim of the storm and the consumer should be aware.And the letter was to stay with the vehicle for the remainder of it's life.

turtlezx
08-31-2017, 10:18 AM
they should all carry a salvage or rebuilt salvage title warning new owners 300,000 cars are expected from this storm

lightman
08-31-2017, 11:20 AM
Probably what Shelly said! The same thing happened after Katrina and Sandy. Buyer Beware!

Tenbender
08-31-2017, 11:29 AM
Same thing they did for Rita and Katrina. Vehicles sold at auction, cleaned up and sent north for resale. Beware. Around here the guns are taken to a shop and cleaned and back in service. I did buy a couple that sat to long for parts.

Shelly

Glad they send'em up north ? :roll:

texassako
08-31-2017, 11:38 AM
A lot of vehicles will be out there, and buyer beware for quite a while. It is not to hard to wash a title clean. If they are smart, they will do what I saw at a flooded Ford dealership I was doing some work at in Oklahoma years ago. Insurance co. brought in a mobile car crusher. They did not want to even risk flooded parts being used for future car repairs.

shooterg
08-31-2017, 03:07 PM
Lotsa cars like that after the 1969 flood here - BUT not as much electronics in those so easy enough to fix most bugaboos, I bought a 1965 Dodge knowing it'd been wet - drove it for years . With all the computers & sensors on cars now, I'd only take a chance if I thought I could salvage some body parts or didn't mind going through the running gear for parts.

popper
08-31-2017, 03:18 PM
IIRC Texas has a law that requires vehicles to have a totaled title (through insurance co.). Actually most of the drive train is reusable as well as body parts. Bikes don't have much of a problem, just wiring and the seat. Guns may go to shops when owner doesn't have a place to store them. Time to watch for stolen ones.
They did not want to even risk flooded parts being used for future car repairs No, they write off the loss so vehicles MUST be destroyed.

nvbirdman
08-31-2017, 03:27 PM
Maybe Carfax is your friend?

Hick
08-31-2017, 10:33 PM
I once bought a Ford Pickup at a good price that only had 60,000 miles on it. Later found dried mud in the cab, some of the wiring, all in the frame, etc. Darn thing only lasted another 500,000 miles (you read right-- half a million miles)

OlDeuce
08-31-2017, 10:55 PM
A lot of those "Good Deals" really flood into Montana !!! and are sold as cars and trucks from some other World LoL .....they Sure Turn them!!!

Ol Deuce

MaryB
09-01-2017, 01:01 AM
Bunch came into MN from Katrina and I seem to remember one of the big Twin Cities auto dealers being busted for selling them with falsified titles.

starmac
09-01-2017, 05:56 AM
I pulled a chevy pickup out of Ute lake that sat in 30 feet of water one January.
The poor guy had to hire 2 divers at an exorbitant fee (state police off duty divers). It turned out he was mainly concerned with getting his tools out of it. We stopped to eat on the way in with it and I wound up dealing him out of it. By the time I got it back to the shop, the gas tanks had froze and busted, there was not one drop of oil in any component on it.
I immediately drained the motor, tranny, rearends and pulled the wheel bearings, filled everything to overflowing with diesel and let it sit a couple of days.

I wound up having to change the seat and the circuit board in the dash, drove that sucker for several years.
The difference was the lake water was clean, not muddy or silty.

Handloader109
09-02-2017, 10:40 PM
Easy to clean title. Ive a Katrina refugee I bought a few years later. Second owner during Katrina. Was totaled. Kid bought it, had some work done to it, Fooled around with it for about a year and sold it to me. He was still in Louisiana. I bought and titled in Mississippi. Went from totalled/reconstructed to clean title. Moved to Arkansas and new title here shows clean. I'll drive wheels off it, so it doesn't matter, will be scrap. Use on line check with Carfax or similar for any car you might buy.