PDA

View Full Version : Weak side/One handed Reloading & Shooting tips, Anyone???

JBinMN
08-30-2017, 10:00 PM
Just had surgery on my right(strong side) elbow yesterday morning. An "Ulnar Nerve Transposition", where the Dr.s move the ulnar nerve from out of its channel in your elbow joint to the inside of your arm & tucked under a flap of muscle to protect it & hold it in place. (this is the "not so "Funny bone" nerve in your elbow.).
I had the same surgery on the left side in 2015, but it was on the weak side so I could still do a lot of things fairly normally. But with this time being my right/strong side, I am trying to figure out ways to help me pass the time, including some reloading & shooting weak handed. Don't plan to cast, for safety sake.

Anyone have any reloading/shooting/etc. tips for someone in this sort of situation?

[ETA: I am not sure if I put this in the correct forum. Apologies if I did.]

Remiel
08-30-2017, 10:33 PM
The only thing I could recommend is what was told to me when I had rotor cuff surgery on my strong side is to start small and take it slow.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

JBinMN
08-30-2017, 10:47 PM
Thanks Remiel! That I plan to do. Along with no being on pain meds when doing these things either.
;)

runfiverun
08-31-2017, 03:01 AM
you need to be very deliberate in your movements.
everything your gonna do is a new learning process for your brain, and you need to take the time to train it properly.
once you do get it up and going your gonna find many things carry over when you get the right arm back again.

Artful
08-31-2017, 03:30 AM
Start with dummy rounds - always!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gBN6v7Qm3M

Artful
08-31-2017, 03:32 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqUk4QwFqOM

There is more stuff here
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=weak+hand+reloading

You might like to use a magazine loader
Maglula UpLULA Pistol Magazine Loader and Unloader Polymer
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/l3U3OHmGtiY/hqdefault.jpg
http://www.maglula.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/UpLULA_holding_inst.jpg

Ramline X press loader
http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/tKMAAOSw~AVYniAP/s-l1600.jpg
http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/VhgAAOSwx6pYniAB/s-l1600.jpg

or the HKS mag helper
https://image.sportsmansguide.com/adimgs/l/6/6909_ts.jpg

Artful
08-31-2017, 04:13 AM
Own a Ruger or Browning 22LR pistol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BN0HcJ5Mfig

JBinMN
08-31-2017, 05:52 AM
you need to be very deliberate in your movements.
everything your gonna do is a new learning process for your brain, and you need to take the time to train it properly.
once you do get it up and going your gonna find many things carry over when you get the right arm back again.

Thanks! :) I am going to take things very slowly & deliberate, just as ya say. I want to make sure I make no, or very few mistakes and slow but sure should help with that for sure.

Just thinking thru the process, I am thinking that dealing with the powder and weighing & throwing, etc. is going to maybe be the hardest part of the process for reloading.

Thanks again!
:)

JBinMN
08-31-2017, 05:59 AM
Artful,

Thanks very much for the tips & taking the time to gather and share the helpful videos! I will watch them this morning.

I do not plan to reload or shoot any long rifles or shotguns until I am back to both arms, so the pistol/revolver help is great!
I do have a few Rugers, and I can already think on how those loaders would be a big help, so I am going to research them too!

Thanks again!

Wayne Smith
08-31-2017, 07:40 AM
I can only help as far as the actual shooting goes. When we did our concealed carry classes - years ago - the trainer was an active duty SEAL. He asked us to push ourselves - to shoot both hands, all that was required, to shoot strong hand only, and to shoot weak hand only. LOML and I had never shot weak hand only and were both amazed that we were almost as accurate weak hand only as we were strong hand only. Apparently, from what he told us, that is a relatively common experience.

JBinMN
08-31-2017, 07:57 AM
I can only help as far as the actual shooting goes. When we did our concealed carry classes - years ago - the trainer was an active duty SEAL. He asked us to push ourselves - to shoot both hands, all that was required, to shoot strong hand only, and to shoot weak hand only. LOML and I had never shot weak hand only and were both amazed that we were almost as accurate weak hand only as we were strong hand only. Apparently, from what he told us, that is a relatively common experience.

Thanks!

I have shot weak hand before, but not often. But since I am now in a situation where I am limited to only weak side until I heal, I thought that I would make a point of practicing to try to improve. So, I appreciate any tips and such to help out!

Thanks again!

GhostHawk
08-31-2017, 08:45 AM
I have one of those mag loaders for my pair of Ruger Mk III 22/45's and love the dickens out of it. Saves a lot of sore thumbs.

It will sometimes not quite get the 10 round in place correctly. Causing it to fall loose.
At which point you have the option of holding the button on the mag down and dropping it in. Or shooting 9 instead of 10.

Muscle memory will fade on the old strong hand stuff. You will develop new for where you are now. Just take your time, don't be in a hurry.

Get well soon brother!

KCSO
08-31-2017, 09:53 AM
Shot weak hand PPC many years ago and still practice with weak hand with my guns. I find that to shoot to the same point of aim as strong hand it helps if I cant the gun slightly (no gangsta tilt) to the strong side. Since I am left eye dominant I have no problems with seeing the sights. If you are opposite you may need to close one eye to start with.

big bore 99
08-31-2017, 10:13 AM
Just start slow and always be safe. Double check yourself to be sure and most of all never get discouraged. Dealing with some limitations here too. "A man needs to know his limitations"

JBinMN
08-31-2017, 12:24 PM
Thanks for the continuing tips & well wishes, GhostHawk, KCSO, and big bore 99!

I am still taking pain meds right now, but slowly reducing the amounts. I am not going to do any reloading or shooting until I am done with them. Likely tomorrow. But after that, I am going to start slowly & surely trying to do some of both.

I will share what I find as I go along also, to maybe help out anyone else who gets into a similar situation. Not a bad idea to practice this type of thing anyway, as the video posted by Artful above, as shown by M. Ayoob in a weak arm situation/demonstration.

I appreciate ya'll taking the time to share what ya can, to help a feller out!

Blogman
08-31-2017, 02:41 PM
I had a stroke Dec. 2014 on my right side, well had the stroke in the left of the brain... Nevrmind, you know what I mean. Anyway that UpLULA would have been great to know then. Been dealing with working rebuilding every since. Back to 85% and still going strong.

popper
08-31-2017, 02:58 PM
There is a plastic thingy that holds the button down for the Rugers, then you just drop them in. Doesn't everybody practice either or both hands? My strong side shoulder won't hold the 40 on target very long, even after working with weights. Every once in a while I even try the PX4 double action 'crotch' shot just to get used to it. If I did shoot revolver I'd look for a bench stand I could use, maybe a short dowel in a 2x2 of plywood? Mag change is easy but if I needed to reload in 'use' I got other problems.

TXGunNut
08-31-2017, 11:08 PM
No big deal, really. Shooting weak hand is a good practice even if not out of necessity. I find it makes you a better shooter. It also impresses the heck out of folks who think they can't do it. Like KCSO I was a PPC shooter so it was something I had to learn. Every now and then I don't have the use of my right hand. I just slide a 2" .38 or .380 in my "weak side" pocket and go about my business.
Get well soon, get off those pain pills ASAP.

JBinMN
09-01-2017, 01:50 AM
I had a stroke Dec. 2014 on my right side, well had the stroke in the left of the brain... Nevrmind, you know what I mean. Anyway that UpLULA would have been great to know then. Been dealing with working rebuilding every since. Back to 85% and still going strong.

Glad to hear that you are staying positive about your situation!

Is there anything you have modified or changed in how you reload or shoot from before the stroke til now to help out how ya do things?

I would be interested if you have & want to share the info.

And G'Luck with your recovery!

Remiel
09-01-2017, 01:54 AM
Thanks Remiel! That I plan to do. Along with no being on pain meds when doing these things either.
;)Most pain meds either don't work or make me sick, so it's mostly Advil and water for me,

JBinMN
09-01-2017, 01:58 AM
There is a plastic thingy that holds the button down for the Rugers, then you just drop them in. Doesn't everybody practice either or both hands? My strong side shoulder won't hold the 40 on target very long, even after working with weights. Every once in a while I even try the PX4 double action 'crotch' shot just to get used to it. If I did shoot revolver I'd look for a bench stand I could use, maybe a short dowel in a 2x2 of plywood? Mag change is easy but if I needed to reload in 'use' I got other problems.

As far as practicing with weak side... Yes, I have, but unfortunately not enough. That is now going to change.
;)

I am going to concentrate on the shooting more heavily than mag/speed loading at first. I don't have any speed loaders for the revolvers I have now, but that will change eventually. I have been more of a semi auo pistol fella for the past 5-6 years, so they & their accessories like mags have been my focus. Now , as I find myself in this position, I have to re-think my perspective on such things.

G'luck on your improving yourself also! Please share if ya think of anything.

Remiel
09-01-2017, 01:59 AM
I had a stroke Dec. 2014 on my right side, well had the stroke in the left of the brain... Nevrmind, you know what I mean. Anyway that UpLULA would have been great to know then. Been dealing with working rebuilding every since. Back to 85% and still going strong.My wife's stepdad had a major stroke about 12yrs ago and you couldn't tell if you saw him now, his only lingering effects are a minor cognitive issue with reading and switching words like asking for a bucket when he wants a shovel, so keep plugging away and you will get back to where you were

JBinMN
09-01-2017, 02:03 AM
No big deal, really. Shooting weak hand is a good practice even if not out of necessity. I find it makes you a better shooter. It also impresses the heck out of folks who think they can't do it. Like KCSO I was a PPC shooter so it was something I had to learn. Every now and then I don't have the use of my right hand. I just slide a 2" .38 or .380 in my "weak side" pocket and go about my business.
Get well soon, get off those pain pills ASAP.

Yes, it is not likely a big deal for some/most folks, but as I find myself in this situation I want to try to improve myself & make it a learning experience as I try to heal up.

As far as the meds...I have already started to back off now, just after a couple days. pretty sharp pain when I moved wrong & it lingered so I could not sleep... Like now here at 0100... If I move without thinking I wake up right quick & it keeps m,e awake for some time.... It will get better though...

Thanks for your good wishes!

JBinMN
09-01-2017, 02:06 AM
Most pain meds either don't work or make me sick, so it's mostly Advil and water for me,

Yes... I will be changing over to something like Advil soon.

myg30
09-01-2017, 07:56 AM
JB, I hope you have a speedy recovery. "Time heals all"!
Try not to linger on what you can't do but focus on the things you want and need to do.
Recovering from surgery is no fun. Side affects from pain Meds not good.
Stay tough friend and get well soon.
Mike

JBinMN
09-01-2017, 08:54 AM
JB, I hope you have a speedy recovery. "Time heals all"!
Try not to linger on what you can't do but focus on the things you want and need to do.
Recovering from surgery is no fun. Side affects from pain Meds not good.
Stay tough friend and get well soon.
Mike

Thanks for the well wishes, Mike! Gonna keep a positive attitude for sure!

09-01-2017, 09:12 AM
Seems I've been plagued by physical challenges all my life. (just complaining here) Aches and pains usually associated with the latest dumb thing I did. Back when I was young & stupid (well, younger at least), one fine Sunday while cutting molding on my radial arm saw, I made a mistake and cut the tip of my strong side trigger finger off. Luckily, the local ER had a good flight surgeon on call and she basically wrapped up the remaining meat and cobbled some of the nail over the remaining bone and sewed me up. The next day I drew a left handed holster, and re-qualified with the .38, 870, & M-16. Had to shoot the .38 left handed. Never did take a day of medical. Switched my duty rig to left handed and carried that way for about three months. It was no fun. But, it can be done. Protect your wound, use your head, and press forward. We human animals are much more capable of stuff than we think. Best of luck, 725

Friends call me Pac
09-02-2017, 08:41 AM
I was taught to reload my Beretta 1 handed if either of my arms was out of action. Shoot until slide locks to rear. Squat down & place handgun barrel between calf & thigh (hold behind knee) Push mag release. Insert new mag. Rise and thumb down slide release as you stand. You are now ready to continue shooting.

Blogman
09-03-2017, 12:17 AM
And G'Luck with your recovery!

Thanks for asking JB.
For me, after I realized that things were gonna be different, I knew it was gonna be a long haul and git back on the horse. First was self therapy, keep moving and keep my strength up. I soon found that the muscles and the brain had their own ideas where to go and what to do. Usually the opposite way. If I tried to fight it I would get shaky (sore, tired or pi$$ed off or all) and then get confused or angry. The best thing was to back-up, regroup and slow down. I had to think what I was going to do then try to start again, slowly but deliberately. With a stroke one has to build up both the mind and body, together.
Secondly, Don't get mad, angry, throw things or just give up. Of course you are going to do those things but try not to as to get others hurt. The same with getting angry and throwing words at people, specially your loved ones. My wife and daughter have been great with me.
Third, things might have to be taught. Meaning some of the ways I used to do had to be taught (not re-taught) a different way. I used to be able to aim double sighted, now I can only use my right eye. Another thing and it really bugs me is I also have to tilt my head slightly to the left to aim. The doc says it may be an equilibrium thing. I can see fine for the most part, it's that brain/body block thing.
For the forth, get plenty of rest. If you're tired, rest. If you're angry, chill a bit. If you over do it the shakes will set in. Ya can't reload or shoot if your tired.

That's about it, just keep kickin.

Blogman
09-03-2017, 12:36 AM
I hear ya Remiel. I'm assuming your wife's stepdad had the same type of left side stroke I had. I can do all the black powder funs, deal with the property, rebuild our ol' one room schoolhouse but I can't for the life of me remember how to work on my own car. It took me an hour to re-wire a horn a couple year ago. I used to have a great vocabulary and elocution, now, not so much.

SSGOldfart
09-03-2017, 11:11 AM
The only thing I could recommend is what was told to me when I had rotor cuff surgery on my strong side is to start small and take it slow.

Extremely good advice +1 I load with one hand my left side doesn't work at all TBI got me just start slow and think your way through the little things holding a case under a powder is gonna take a bit of engineering and build up a platform to set your cases on,I changed to a feed through powder die,so I just use the press. Hope your recovery ,is quick

JBinMN
09-03-2017, 11:46 AM
Thanks for the tips & support!

Going out this afternoon to take the missus out to shoot her LCR .357. I made up some lighter 38Sp loads with Red Dot & 148gr WCs for her a while back & it is time to go out & shoot them to see how she likes them. I may do some weak side shooting also. Slow & easy, of course.

JBinMN
09-04-2017, 06:58 AM
Took the missus out to try out the light loads I made up for her. Laddered up from 2.1 - 2.5gr for the first 25, then had her shoot a round of 5 factorys for comparison, then we went from 2.5gr @ 5 rds each to 2.9gr. then finished off the last 15 factory I had there. After that we went to shooting the .22 pistol for about 60 rounds.

All in all it was a productive day for her, since now we know just about where she can handle the loads with her weak hands from surgeries, & I got a re-visited "familiarization fire" experience for my weak side hand. I found out that I started getting the wobblies after about 25 shots with the 38sp so when IO went to the .22 I was doing the wobblies pretty much every shot & started to go off paper with some of them.

Had a good time shooting though & now it is a matter of loading up some more rounds for other calibers & working on some dry firing for the both of us. Although I am the one who will be more apt to do it than she will.

Like said, gonna go slow easy with things...

Interesting note... I found my self canting the weapon slightly to my strong side as was mentioned earlier. Not intentional, but just found myself doing it on occasion. Not sure why that woluld happen but it did.. :???:

Thanks again for the tips being shared.

popper
09-04-2017, 11:28 AM
I found out that I started getting the wobblies after about 25 shots Yup & it might not go away, unfortunately. IMHO it's a nerve problem, not muscle. Stop & relax when it starts, wait a minute then restart. canting is normal, thrust your arm out and your knuckles will be horiz. You have to think that one out.

JBinMN
09-04-2017, 12:34 PM
I found out that I started getting the wobblies after about 25 shots Yup & it might not go away, unfortunately. IMHO it's a nerve problem, not muscle. Stop & relax when it starts, wait a minute then restart. canting is normal, thrust your arm out and your knuckles will be horiz. You have to think that one out.

You are likely correct. I had the same surgery on my left elbow back in Dec. 2015. It was at 90% affected then, with only 10% of normal usage(nerve sensitivity). In the right arm back then, as they checked both for comparison, was at 70% affected, with 30% of normal and it got worse since then, thus the surgery this time. The Neurapathy is still there in the left, just subdued from getting worse by the surgery. So, that it being nerves is very likely & hopefully my right side will not be affected as much as I did not wait as long to do the right as I did with the left one. That & not having the support of the other arm + not being used to shooting one hand only left(weak) sided, my arm was also gonna get tired of holding weight out there after a while anyway.... (LOL - it is not like when I was younger, since I remember more than one occasion in the Corps of having to hold out our weapons as a punishment & lasted a whole lot longer in doing it... ;) )

Thanks for pointing that out though! I really do think my Neurapathy is a factor as well.

Blogman
09-04-2017, 10:58 PM
I found out that I started getting the wobblies after about 25 shots with the 38sp so when IO went to the .22 I was doing the wobblies pretty much every shot & started to go off paper with some of them.

Interesting note... I found my self canting the weapon slightly to my strong side as was mentioned earlier. Not intentional, but just found myself doing it on occasion. Not sure why that woluld happen but it did.. :???:

Having the same thing with me JB. I shot two cylinders with both 1851s today (total 24 shots) and everything was looking good. When I finished up with the Walker 47 I was all over the board, even double handed. As far as my Doc said with canting a bit to the side, it may be something that won't correct. I'll take a pic tomorrow and show ya.

JBinMN
09-05-2017, 12:12 AM
Having the same thing with me JB. I shot two cylinders with both 1851s today (total 24 shots) and everything was looking good. When I finished up with the Walker 47 I was all over the board, even double handed. As far as my Doc said with canting a bit to the side, it may be something that won't correct. I'll take a pic tomorrow and show ya.

Please do take the pic & share if ya can/like. I am interested to see if it is close to the same thing. Although I am not sure how one would take a pic. LOL

I am also glad that more than one person understood what I meant by the "wobblies". Seemed like a good way to describe it anyway... Barrel/sights wobbling around the aim point.
;)

Artful
09-05-2017, 01:26 AM
I was taught to reload my Beretta 1 handed if either of my arms was out of action. Shoot until slide locks to rear. Squat down & place handgun barrel between calf & thigh (hold behind knee) Push mag release. Insert new mag. Rise and thumb down slide release as you stand. You are now ready to continue shooting.

If you have a drop free mag it's a lot easier to hit the mag release before you put the gun in your leg vise.
Also if your standing you can do it between the knees.

JBinMN
09-05-2017, 01:57 AM
If you have a drop free mag it's a lot easier to hit the mag release before you put the gun in your leg vise.
Also if your standing you can do it between the knees.

I forgot to try this with the.22. I plan to go out & shoot some of the semi autos this week. I will try this, both leg and knee vise styles when I do.

Thnx for the reminder, Artful!

Also, for any that may be interested in how things are going...
I also should mention that I just came back upstairs from de priming the 38sp we shot the other day.
It was slow & steady & did not take that long, even weak arm/one handed.
Later today I will start to prime & so on, after I run them thru my cleaning process.(citric wash then tumble).

I am still thinking thru the powder loading process on what I will do there... I am leaning towards forgoing the RCBS powder measure & just going with using a scoop measure method & weighing for the time being. I need to figure out how to hold the cases and still flip the handle on the RCBS measure without spillage before I try using it.

Any further suggestions would be welcomed for sure.

Blogman
09-05-2017, 10:59 AM
Shot at 25 yards, 1851s, .44, 20 grain Hodgdon Pyrodex "P", right handed. All on paper (12 shots).

Walker 47, 40 grain, same boolits, double handed, first two on paper, two off left top, two off left bottom.

Uugghh.

Artful
09-05-2017, 12:44 PM
Reloading block and funnel then dip and move funnel repeat then flashlight check ALL cases before seating any bullets.

JBinMN
09-06-2017, 03:49 PM
Shot at 25 yards, 1851s, .44, 20 grain Hodgdon Pyrodex "P", right handed. All on paper (12 shots).

Walker 47, 40 grain, same boolits, double handed, first two on paper, two off left top, two off left bottom.

Uugghh.

Yes... I am familiar with that sort of pattern, as I just shot about the same with just my left weak hand the other day. In one way it is a bummer by not having small groups like we want,, but in another way it shows that at least you could put a hurting on someones chest if needed.
;)

Reloading block and funnel then dip and move funnel repeat then flashlight check ALL cases before seating any bullets.

Yes... That is the plan for now, unless someone comes up with a way to do it easier or with the measure one handed.

----------------------

Something to ponder on, as I am, if ya like...
I have not yet figured out how to chamfer the mouths and cleaning primer pockets before priming & then seating boolits yet.
I am thinking about trying to put the chamfer tool & primer cleaning tool in a small vise I have & then turning the cases on it. I usually turn the tool & hold the cases, but I think I am goin to have to do the opposite & use a vice. Any better ideas?

Thanks for the input~! If ya think of anything else, that would be great if ya mention it!

JBinMN
09-06-2017, 04:42 PM
Artful,

I forgot to mention that I ordered up a Maglula universal loader Tuesday. Hoping it will help with one handed loading og my magazines.

Thnx for mentioning them earlier!

David2011
09-06-2017, 07:27 PM
Shot weak hand PPC many years ago and still practice with weak hand with my guns. I find that to shoot to the same point of aim as strong hand it helps if I cant the gun slightly (no gangsta tilt) to the strong side. Since I am left eye dominant I have no problems with seeing the sights. If you are opposite you may need to close one eye to start with.

That was my first thought as well. When I have to shoot the gun in my avatar weak hand I roll it clockwise relative to the bore 20-25 degrees. That helps it recoil straight up.

Lance Boyle
09-07-2017, 12:52 PM
Well I will toss these out there we rarely use on the police range. They're for injured arm drills to illustrate that you can do it if you have to. They all have added safety risk in handling and I would not do them at a busy range.

This is for pistols. Squat down and hold your empty pistol between your thigh and calf. Insert fresh mag.

Also under the other arm if it functions enough to clamp the gun with the mag well facing forward.

Another is to stick the empty gun in your belt. Get fresh mag, insert invun, draw and release slide.
You can hook your rear sight on your belt or boot heel to cycle it one handed.

These are all emergency type drills but with extreme care you might use some bits of them. Always be mindful of the loaded gun and muzzle direction.

Awfully slow but I have seen a man demonstrate a similar one handed reloading of a revolver where he opened the cylinder, tucked the barrel in his belt and reloaded the Cylinder.

Like I said, these aren't quite what you're looking for but you may adapt something to your situation.

May your healing go well.

Lance Boyle
09-07-2017, 12:56 PM
Yes... I am familiar with that sort of pattern, as I just shot about the same with just my left weak hand the other day. In one way it is a bummer by not having small groups like we want,, but in another way it shows that at least you could put a hurting on someones chest if needed.
;)

Yes... That is the plan for now, unless someone comes up with a way to do it easier or with the measure one handed.

----------------------

Something to ponder on, as I am, if ya like...
I have not yet figured out how to chamfer the mouths and cleaning primer pockets before priming & then seating boolits yet.
I am thinking about trying to put the chamfer tool & primer cleaning tool in a small vise I have & then turning the cases on it. I usually turn the tool & hold the cases, but I think I am goin to have to do the opposite & use a vice. Any better ideas?

Thanks for the input~! If ya think of anything else, that would be great if ya mention it!

Do you have a drill press? If you can chuck your tooling you have a motorized holder.

Some hand electric drills have a trigger lock too. You could clamp that type drill and do the same.

Artful
09-07-2017, 05:05 PM
https://www.huntingtons.com/store/images/D/rcbs_90370_univ-case-prep-center_1200.jpg
RCBS case prep station

Lyman makes one also
but if your chamfer tool is like this
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/14/29/cc/1429cce0394bb17fd417f637568769f4.jpg
it will mount in a drill press or hand drill and you can do the inside normally
hand tool ike this
http://www.pistoleer.com/lyman/pics/7810222.jpg
or convert this
Lyman Case Care Kit
https://www.natchezss.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/398x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/L/Y/LY7777793.jpg

JBinMN
09-07-2017, 07:21 PM
Thanks Lance Boyle & Artful & everyone for the tips & suggestions!

I will keep the police range methods in mind the next time I get out to shoot! And thnx for the well wishes, Lance!!

I do have a drill press, but changing the speed by belt position to a slower speed, since it is mid range & is not where I would like it to be will take someone with 2 hands. I will ask one of my sons when they stop by next.

I have some drills that I might use for the other option, but I think I will just try to hold the tool I use in my recovering hand now & spin the cases with my left. At least til until one of the sons stops by.

I use this tool:203570

I appreciate the advice & tips very much! Thanks again to all that take the time to help out!

JBinMN
09-10-2017, 11:09 AM
Did the chamfer of the inside of these cases (last time for this set I imagine. they were mostly once fired & new until they may need trimming.) and clean all the primer pockets a few days back.

Today, early this morning since I could not sleep well, I got up & went downstairs to size & flare 150 of the 38s cases. Then I primed all of them. All done as suggested at "slow & easy/steady". Surprisingly I did not drop any primers. :)

Next will be powder & seating, hopefully later today. Very carefully since I am using Red Dot again to verify my velocities for the missus loads. She likes the lighter loads to practice so I am keeping the powder loads lighter & want to compare velocities along with accuracy to find the best match if I can.

Last time shooting was offhand double action. This time it will be bench/sandbag double action at 10yds & then maybe 25 yds for shets & giggles... She will likely only be using this snubbie LCR with 38sp loads & not .357 mag so that is why I am using the 38sp rounds for this testing & such & not .357. She has had both wrists carpal tunnel surgery & has "triggered" fingers that are lock in a bent position, so it is important I make the loads fun & easy on her to practice & go easy on her hands. She can shoot fairly well with factory & higher loads of 38sp & .357, but to keep her enthusiastic about shooting & making it fun and not painful to her hands/wrists after shooting, I am trying to keep the loads for target at lower/lighter levels. She can keep some higher velocity or factory loads for SD if she wants, and lighter stuff for target shooting.

I am doing the same for me i the weak side one handed shooting currently. I can always up the loads as I get used to it. :)

Thanks again for all & any help with this sort of thing. I am finding the tips & advice to be very helpful. And it helps with motivating to get out & do this stuff for practice in case things do not go well in recovery of the strong side.

Slow & steady/easy & keep positive attitude. + practice...

lightman
09-10-2017, 11:17 AM
My only suggestions are practice and exercise. Practice dry firing from different stances. Get comfortable before going to live fire. Do hand exercises with a tennis ball and arm exercises with a small weight set. Hope you recover quickly and Kudos to you for trying to take advantage of your situation and trying to make something positive out of this.

JBinMN
09-12-2017, 12:29 PM
My only suggestions are practice and exercise. Practice dry firing from different stances. Get comfortable before going to live fire. Do hand exercises with a tennis ball and arm exercises with a small weight set. Hope you recover quickly and Kudos to you for trying to take advantage of your situation and trying to make something positive out of this.

Thanks Lightman!
I thought I answered this a couple nights ago, but apparently I missed it going thru.
:???:

I appreciate your taking the time to comment!

--------------------------
For an update, I went to the Dr. this AM & got the bandages & soft cast off. Stitches come out on the 21st. He told me to take it easy & I could start shooting again using that arm/hand in about a week on that side if I was comfortable with the recoil & such. He is also a shooter & understood my asking about it. He said reload to my hearts content, but casting should wait though for a bit longer...

Here is a pic of the elbow if anyone wanted to see it: ( if not, close your eyes or turn your head & skip to the next post. Some might think it graphic. I think it is fine, just a row of stitches & some bruising on my arm/elbow... seen much worse anyway.. ;) )

Pic below.....

JBinMN
09-12-2017, 12:31 PM
Thanks again to all for the help, tips, well wishes, & comments!

Artful
09-12-2017, 04:41 PM
Glad to hear he clearing you to try shooting - start with low recoil (22LR) and work up
no Dirty Harry stuff at first try :drinks:

JBinMN
09-12-2017, 08:12 PM
Glad to hear he clearing you to try shooting - start with low recoil (22LR) and work up
no Dirty Harry stuff at first try :drinks:

Nope. Nothing heavy for sure!
;)

Gonna just take it easy & slow.

Thanks!

-----

No shooting today. Missus was tired. I went and picked & shucked 7 doz. sweet corn left handed for canning & she canned the bunch all yesterday 8-10 hrs & part of this morning when I went to the Dr.. for about 4 more hours, but we have 22-25 quarts set up & only lost one jar ( an old Atlas). Gonna be nice though, eating later, after the snow flies. She did up 5-6 cans of tomatos when I went to get the corn. Busy woman... Lucky to have an angel come down from heaven to spend some time with a devil like me for these years. She is a keeper, for sure!

She works the next 2 days on 12 hr shifts, so I will just work on some other stuff & we will try to go again Friday.

Thanks again for the goodness!

Blackwater
09-13-2017, 04:14 PM
JB, you've gotten some good advice and suggestions. Now, only you can determine what works best for you. Shooting with the offside hand is more, I think, a matter of WANTING to than anything else, and you appear to have that down. The rest is just practice and trying out different techniques. And you seem to have that one down pat, too. Something tells me that if I were looking for someone to assault, you'd be near the bottom of my list! Keep up the good work!

JBinMN
09-13-2017, 09:44 PM
JB, you've gotten some good advice and suggestions. Now, only you can determine what works best for you. Shooting with the offside hand is more, I think, a matter of WANTING to than anything else, and you appear to have that down. The rest is just practice and trying out different techniques. And you seem to have that one down pat, too. Something tells me that if I were looking for someone to assault, you'd be near the bottom of my list! Keep up the good work!

Thanks Blackwater for the good sentiments!
Yes, been some dandy advice & I am taking it all in & to heart. I am trying to keep a positive & motivated attitude towards something I have to deal with & overcome. May not seem to be much to some folks, & I definitely know others have it rougher than I, but knowing I already have had issues with the left/weak side from previous troubles & now the right/stronger side is an issue, I thought I should maybe see what I could do to ask for some help & see what others could do to aid me in getting better, if they were inclined to do so.

If nothing else, to help others who read this advice who end up in the same type of situation.

Keep folks motivated when they are down because they are not able to do what they used to do.
;)

I thought asking for some tips & such from folks here at castboolits.gunloads forum would be a help in that, & it has very much!

Thnx again for the kind words & advice!

JBinMN
09-22-2017, 08:52 PM
I want to thank all of ya for the helpful tips & advice, etc. during this situation & hope that maybe I can return the favor someday when others are in need of some of the same!

I have decided to make it a point to shoot left handed every time I go out to shoot( target practice). I am going to put "weak/left side shooting & handgun handling" into my "regimen" as a permanent addition to what I practice. Not going to do everything I do right handed, but enough that I can feel comfortable shooting with the weak side if/when it may be needed or wanted. I may try using shotgun & rifle also, but I am going to wait until my right arm is much better than it is currently.

The reason for that is that I am still recovering from my surgery, and even though I was doing pretty good, I overdid it the last few days & think I "bit off more than I could chew" too soon. Nothing damaged, but I am feeling a bit more pain as I have been trying to work up the strength in that arm. I am all for the "No Pain, No Gain" adage, but I think I may be overdoing it a bit. So , I am gonna back off & keep working on the "weak side" more for the next few weeks...

Thanks again for the help!
It is really appreciated!

Blogman
09-23-2017, 12:48 AM
So.... Got the stitches out yesterday, good. I kinda knew ya was gonna try to hurry up. Lol, no worries. Just go with the flow and rest when it hurts.