PDA

View Full Version : heres a differnt question

Lloyd Smale
08-30-2017, 06:59 AM
Ive got a small gas range out in the barn that was kind of a summer kitchen idea for cooking on hot days. It became the oven I powder coat in. Do you think that the powder coating cooking leaves anything that would keep it from being able to still use it to cook food?

Electric88
08-30-2017, 07:08 AM
I've never tried cooking in an oven that was used for powder coating, but I probably wouldn't either. I would believe that baking the powder coat causes it to leave a thin residue on the sides of the oven. At work, we use ovens (granted, not kitchen ovens) to cure various epoxies and silicone compounds for products we make. We have found in the past that on occasion, placing epoxy to cure in an oven that recently was used for silicone (and vice versa) caused the compound to not cure completely, regardless of how long it was in there. Eventually it was determined that this was the result of other compounds giving off trace residue.

Long story short, I personally wouldn't cook food in it.

Retumbo
08-30-2017, 09:07 AM
Ditto above

Walter Laich
08-30-2017, 11:08 AM
no on cooking food

PC outgases and leaves a coating inside the oven.

periodically I have to scrape the window of mine clean from this buildup

Smoke4320
08-30-2017, 11:56 AM
NO NO and NO please do not cook food in an oven previously used for PC or Hi Tec

OS OK
08-30-2017, 11:59 AM
no on cooking food

Same here...my oven window keeps fogging up with white residue and has to be scrubbed off, can't see through it and it doesn't come completely off...now it's a powder coating oven, no more food ever again.

Bzcraig
08-30-2017, 10:48 PM
no on cooking food

Ditto!!

Lloyd Smale
08-31-2017, 08:54 AM
thanks guys.