PDA

View Full Version : Natural gas and PE (PEX?)

Plate plinker
08-28-2017, 09:36 PM
I need to run some Yellow 1" per out to the Pole building and was looking at this stuff. Can I use regular water pex connectors with the yellow stuff and are they okay for Natural Gas?

osteodoc08
08-28-2017, 09:37 PM
Should say on the packaging what it's suitable for. I've only used PEX in the home which I'm not a huge fan of but works.

Handloader109
08-28-2017, 09:41 PM
Nope you shouldn't.

Handloader109
08-28-2017, 09:43 PM
http://www.homedepot.com/s/natural%2520gas%2520pipe?NCNI-5

They Show the correct connectors

runfiverun
08-29-2017, 12:05 AM
no you gotta use gas stuff with gas.

side note.
believe it or not gas and air will leak out of places water won't...

Plate plinker
08-29-2017, 05:20 AM
Thanks I forgot to look at home despot for connections.

dragon813gt
08-29-2017, 08:01 AM
Be aware that there are multiple brands of flexible gas piping. You must use their connectors because they are all different.

Edit:
Wasn't aware that they made poly pipe like that for gas. I've always used corrugated stainless. And the fact that it's sold at HD is quite scary. A non contractor, or one w/out the training, can't buy corrugated stainless piping around here. I see this as a good thing. I've fixed way to many things that a homeowner "thought" they knew how to do.

jonp
08-29-2017, 05:21 PM
Yes, I'm going to use the poly flex pipe to hook up my on demand water heater. I use it for all the wall heaters from the hard copper. Works great.

You have to use the correct pipe and the right connectors. The regular PEX is not designed for this. PEX pipe and the quick connects are the best thing since sliced bread. I cut out all of the old, leaking copper pipe in my house and replaced with PEX. If it freezes and bursts, just shut off the water and replace that little section in about 5 min. Great stuff.

CraigOK
08-29-2017, 07:47 PM
no you gotta use gas stuff with gas.

side note.
believe it or not gas and air will leak out of places water won't...
All about molecule size.

MT Gianni
08-29-2017, 09:58 PM
CSST is commonly used for indoor gas lines. [Corrugated Stainless Steel Tubing] It is not approved for outside use or direct burial and will fail quickly in UV or low PH soil environments. Most gas line is plastic pipe held by heat fusion or mechanical joint couplings. It is made from a gas byproduct. I have dug up plenty of mechanical fittings that leaked, not many fusion joints.
Find out what the authority having jurisdiction approves in your area. They should know what your gas is made up of [Sulphur eats copper right now] and recommend what you can use. Pipe is cheap compared to leaking fuels and damage not covered by insurance due to unapproved materials.
I would direct bury approved pipe with mechanical riser transitions to a pole barn. Also know that in some States [Montana for one], it is against the law to heat an uninsulated building.

I would also run a tracer wire, at least #12 direct burial next to the pipe and perhaps a bury ribbon on top of it.

dragon813gt
08-29-2017, 10:06 PM
CSST is commonly used for indoor gas lines. [Corrugated Stainless Steel Tubing] It is not approved for outside use or direct burial and will fail quickly in UV or low PH soil environments.

There are variants that are designed to be buried. Local code will dictate if you can use it.

Plate plinker
08-29-2017, 10:30 PM
i have a conduit buried for this already 3' deep with all the necessary precautions but like the way the PE stuff looks for easy sleeving of the pipe. However I have never used PE for gas just plain old black pipe. Seems that gas fittings for PE are expensive so I may just use the black pipe of which I think I have 90 feet on hand.

MaryB
08-29-2017, 10:53 PM
I will play with plumbing(did my own house and a few others), have no issue wiring... but dealing with gas scares me big time. One leak and your house is leveled...