PDA

View Full Version : I feel dirty..........

JeffinNZ
08-03-2008, 06:18 PM
I just went to the range and shot some...............JACKETED rounds!!

I my defence I have not shot my .223 varmint rig in yonks so it needed a check and zero.............

I feel sooooooooooooo dirty..................

:veryconfu

pumpguy
08-03-2008, 06:35 PM
Don't feel too bad, Jeff. My .223 and 22-250 are the only rifles I have that I shoot jacketed in.

mooman76
08-03-2008, 07:20 PM
Nothing wrong with shooting both. Sometimes I just load some simple loads to shoot just for fun!

ebner glocken
08-03-2008, 07:53 PM
If that makes you feel dirty I must be an outright skank. In speciality pistols with bottlenecked cartriges jacketed is all I shoot. I never tried casting for centerfire .22s either and have no plans on it. Perhaps after publically admitting to this I may get kicked off of this board.

Ebner

runfiverun
08-03-2008, 08:04 PM
i doubt that y'all will be booted....
at least i hope so....

as i won't cast for anything under 7mm..
well maybe for the 25-20. and perhaps a 6.5 if i ever build one..
just say you are smoothing out the bbl with the flgc's for a later cast project
you will feel much better. it helps me.

crabo
08-03-2008, 08:47 PM
That's kind of how I felt when I asked about jacketed bullets in the "hunting with cast boolits" forum and my post was moved. I felt like I had been sent to the principal's office.

rugerdude
08-03-2008, 08:59 PM
Know kinda how ya' feel. Here in GA, to hunt big game with a handgun you must use "ammunition loaded with EXPANDING bullets." I guess thats about the only thing Keith bullets DON'T do in my .44 Mags! So I have to load a few rounds up with 240 XTP's each year for practice and hunting. Sigh..........yech! Now I feel like I need a bath......:mrgreen:

Dale53
08-04-2008, 12:06 AM
I live and hunt in Ohio. However, I believe most states consider ANY lead bullet an expanding bullet. You might want to check. Actually, they were the first expanding bullets and are still quite effective in that role. Just depends on the alloy and nose profile - as a for instance, 16/1 lead/tin hollow points will expand quite well and at rather "slow" velocities. A Keith of the same alloy (or equivalent) will expand somewhat, depending on the velocity (should be over 1000 fps) and what it hits.

Assuming them to be legal, I have had excellent results with the Keith .430" at 1200-1300 fps on deer. Frankly, I don't know if they REALLY expand or not. I have never recovered one but have also never lost a deer shot with one.

FWIW
Dale53

JeffinNZ
08-04-2008, 05:39 AM
How would the authorities prove that your lead bullets did not expand especially if the bullet exits?

EMC45
08-04-2008, 07:29 AM
I did not know that RugerDude. I plan to hunt with my SBH this year. And it WILL be a cast bullet! I have seen my cast bullets expand so there ya go!

James C. Snodgrass
08-04-2008, 08:36 AM
No doubt that Elmer's bullets are top shelf. I would like to see every state get some actual hunters and conservationists to look at and fix some of the archaic game laws . We all know that the tree huggers and peta people get more influence on the laws than they deserve . Good with the hunt James

1Shirt
08-04-2008, 09:59 AM
Runfiverun is just missing out on the ranting, raving, hairpulling etc. of casting and shooting the little ones. They are truely the chalange on paper, and true joys when they do come together. As to feeling dirty, when I launch over a thousand condoms a year at p-dogs, guess I ought to feel that I belong to the filthy group.
Figure my ratio of launch for cast vs condoms a year is about 5 or maybe 6 to one, so think there may be some redemption in large numbers.
1Shot!:coffee:

rugerdude
08-04-2008, 01:09 PM
I am going to check with a game warden that lives here in town and see just how they interpret that particular regulation. In my .44's, the Keith bullets I use do NOT expand, but they DO leave a big hole in and a big hole out. I have used them on a deer control hunt at a local farm. Theres not as much regulation for that kind of thing-whatever gets the rascals out of the farmers soybeans is OK. They will also anchor a deer quick if you put 'em through the front shoulders. Bones don't seem to be a problem as they just break through and keep right on going. As soon as I get more info I will post it.

jhalcott
08-04-2008, 01:56 PM
I was told by a game warden that "NON EXPANDING" meant military FMJ's. A friend was using them in his .223 bolt rifle and got them real cheap.. I just recently started to cast the 225415 lyman bullet. I have used it in the 14" .223 contender barrel. I plan on using it in a .22MMJ .A .30 carbine necked to .22. This gun is accurate with 40 and 45 grain Jword bullets.

crabo
08-04-2008, 03:43 PM
You could shoot some of your lead boolits into wet sand, recover them, and you would have proof your boolits expand.

pjh421
08-04-2008, 06:13 PM
I make both & don't look back.

Paul

Bigjohn
08-04-2008, 06:43 PM
Jeff, we have heard your confession; now go to the bench and cast another 100 to absolve your sin. :-D

:twisted:
John.

JeffinNZ
08-04-2008, 08:16 PM
Thank you Father John. As you wish.

BOOM BOOM
08-04-2008, 09:45 PM
HI,
I am with 1 shirt.
Only my weakness is w/ the 220 swift. and it weeps from lonelyness as it may only get taken out 2x's a year & fire 100 rounds.[smilie=1:

buck1
08-10-2008, 05:40 PM
$0.25 each shot for the bullet alone. You have truely paid for four sin. LOL
I just shot some .458 condums at $0.50 each. And the Lee mold I just bought cost $20.00 .
I am not a rocket scientist , but I am just good enugh at math to know I wont be doing that again soon....Buck

nighthunter
08-11-2008, 06:08 PM
Was shooting yesterday at the local range and another shooter showed up with his 11 year old son to practice with his 30-06. It was a converted Mauser complete with metal butt plate and I could tell that junior was not haveing a good time with the factory ammunition his dad had bought. After a few rounds I offered to let junior shoot some of my cast loads in his rifle. Dad insisted on paying for them so I told him " OK ... $2.00 per 20 ". I think he thought I was crazy or on some type of chemical. I then talked to him about bullet casting and WW and all the good stuff that goes into our lifestyle. Ends up that he is my father's rural mailman and would like to have some more of those "practice" rounds so junior can get some trigger time. Junior did really well after realizing the rifle wasn't going to kick and shot some respectable groups at 50 yards. I hope to invite them over for a casting session to see how all this is done from WW to loaded round.

Nighthunter

JeffinNZ
08-11-2008, 08:13 PM
GOOD SKILLS. No point scaring kids off with '06 recoil ah?

carpetman
08-11-2008, 08:23 PM
Jeff in NZ---You feel dirty? Was just wondering do you wear those purple long Johns to the range? Maybe thats it you didnt wear them. I cast for .22's and for .243 and I just dont see what the problem is that everybody keeps talking about. Great results in .243,.222 and 22-250 but not in my .223--it's a jacketed gun. I hunt game animals with jacketed. Cast work great on varmints.

JeffinNZ
08-11-2008, 11:33 PM
Let's see now.........

C:/My documents/shooting/hunting invites/.....

Line 74.....Carpetman.................deleted.......... .............

:Fire:[smilie=1::-D

cbrick
08-12-2008, 12:59 PM
Dirty, yep that's a good word.

Last December I bought an OMSBH 3 screw 44 mag and haven't shot it yet. I've got two 44 caliber moulds and dies to load for about 30 calibers. I couldn't believe it last week when I went through my dies and discovered I didn't have 44 dies ??? I wonder if I loaned them to someone?

Last weekend I wanted to shoot this revolver so I thought I'd get the dies at the range store and pick up a box of 44 lead bullets. Shock, the range no longer sells lead loads in any caliber.

Yep, I did it, first condom bullets I've fired in 20-25 years. I could only bring myself to fire 10 of them and I'm still apologizing to my Ruger for doing that to it.

Very embarrassing . . . :holysheep condom bullets. I'm ashamed, yes dirty is a good word.

Rick

pjh421
08-12-2008, 01:08 PM
Way to go, Nighthunter. I've got a couple of guys at work interested in how to shoot more for less money...not that I'm looking forward to competition for WW. Its worth it though to get other people interested in shooting.

Paul

Southern Son
08-14-2008, 03:11 AM
As much as I would like to say I cast for everything in my safe, I just can't. I don't have the time to cast for the .38 so I have to use store bought cast boolits, and I can't for the life of me see a cast boolit giving me great performance in a 22/250 Improved. If I were retired I would probably start casting for the 38 because my ability to shoot it would be more limiting than the cast boolits I made for it, but I think that there is no cast boolit out there that will give the .7 MOA at 4200fps I was getting with the Barnes Varmint Grenades last sunday. If I had the time, I might cast for the .243 just to see what it might be able to do, but time is in short supply around here of late.