PDA

View Full Version : Leaded bore!!!!

JDL
03-29-2005, 10:31 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Today, my plan was to follow up on my post of "Jacket fouling" below(on the aimoo board) . I loaded up some rounds that had priviously done well, consisting of 38 grains of surplus 4895 and Lyman 358318 HP air-cooled w/w alloy. I fired 3 shots that were looking good and then, they started to give me a loose patteren instead of a group. After the 6th shot, I called it quits to see what was wrong, and found the bore quite leaded. Spent the rest of the afternoon cleaning it out :x !! I may have pushed the soft alloy too hard but, about this time last year, the same load did well. Maybe the copper fouling that was left in the bore?? I haven't a clue but, if you do, I'd be pleased to hear it. Thanks-JDL

Willbird
03-29-2005, 11:12 PM
The oldtimers always said jacket fouling was not kind to cast boolits, and that in gave the lead something to stick to.

Bill

C1PNR
03-30-2005, 02:24 PM
I've gone through almost half a bottle of Sweet's in the last 2 to 3 months getting all the "blue" out of the bores of several rifles.

They are all destined to be cast only shooters. Well, except maybe one. Bore is just too rough to try with lead. May end up having to rebarrel. I'll try it with FLGC first and if that works I MAY keep it as is.

In the past I tried lead in the Douglas barreled 45-70 Siamese Mauser, without cleaning the jacket material out first. Mistake! Lots of lead left in the bore. So I became a believer.

JDL
03-30-2005, 03:46 PM
Well, as I said on another post , I was just doing this as an experiment to see for myself. I promise, I have seen enough!!! I finally got the lead out and ran some Sweet's through, talk about blue!! I could see only a trace of copper fouling but Sweet's found a lot. I'll still be cleaning on it at least through tomorrow but, I've learned my lesson.-JDL