PDA

View Full Version : One of those days

Uncle Jimbo
08-27-2017, 05:27 PM
Once upon a time, like yesterday. I was out in the reloading room getting ready to load some .40 cal. I came across a plastic baggie with come casing in it. Not sure if someone gave them to me or if I had one of those days when you are not sure what is happening and I picked them up. (Kind of like the twilight zone thing.) And if I did pick them up, who was I shooting with that day. Don't do public ranges and where I shoot, you have to be invited by me.
So when I looked inside the bag, here is what I found;
3, 270 win cases. I don't have one and don't load for it either
1, 7mm-08 case. I don't have one nor do I know anyone who does have one. And again, I don't load for it.
6, 243 cases. I don't have one nor do I know someone who does. Don't load for it.
13, .40 S&W cases. I do have access to one, my youngest son has one, but I don't shoot it. Yes I load for that one.
35, 9mm cases. I don't own one and don't remember anyone who would have been shooting with me. I load for these.
I know I'm getting old and forgetful, but this one has me baffled.
Guess I will go lay down and rest my weary brain.
:confused: :roll: :sad:

mold maker
08-27-2017, 05:59 PM
Over the many years since I began shooting, I too have collected many such, bags, boxes, jars and cans of assorted brass, that were for future use or trade.
Ever so often I either consolidate or cull their contents. Invariably if I scrap some it will be immediately followed by a need for it. Thus there will always be those mixed treasures hidden among the normally used items.
If the value of scrap brass ever returns to a worthwhile figure, I have nearly 2 gals of bent, cracked, or otherwise useless cases.
Uncle Jimbo, you're not being forgetful, you're just normal. Now after all that my brain is tired also. See what you started.

bob208
08-27-2017, 09:49 PM
keep collecting when you get a large pile. then buy dies and a gun to fit the brass.

Wayne Smith
08-28-2017, 07:29 AM
Aah, don't worry about it. If your reloading room is like mine it is something you picked up years ago, it was at the bottom of the pile, and when you pulled something else out that came with it, landing on the top just like you just put it there!

TXGunNut
08-28-2017, 11:03 AM
Headed for the loading room now, part of the fun is that I always straighten up a bit every session in there. Can't wait to see what treasures I've hidden for myself! ;-) I think I'll be loading 32WCF but can't recall if I have any boolits ready to load.

wv109323
08-28-2017, 12:20 PM
Those experiences are like Christmas to me. If it is in the reloading room I know it is better than opening socks or T-shirts.

runfiverun
08-28-2017, 12:40 PM
that sounds about like the contents of the drivers side pocket of my truck.

I got a letter in there from 1934 that was air mailed from South America, a crescent wrench, a stick of hard candy I bought in Las Vegas 3 years ago, three handfuls of assorted brass, the end piece of a fuel hose for the boat [still in the package] a pair of sun glasses, a paint can opener, a screw driver ,and who knows what else.

MaryB
08-28-2017, 09:48 PM
Took a liberal friend shooting a few weeks ago, she used to be deathly afraid to touch a gun, now she knows gun safety and has a blast shooting pistol and rifle. I was cleaning out my range bag and I started finding cases for calibers we never shot that day... she was picking up the 223 cases for me and apparently doesn't know the difference LOL couple dozen brass 7.62x39, some 30.06, some 30-30 from the cowboy shooters... I tossed it all in a ziplock, if I get 10 pounds i will do a brass grab bag auction with the proceeds going to the forum.

Rooster
08-29-2017, 08:37 PM
Ha! CRS is a wonderful thing at times! Enjoy the extra benefits.

Blogman
08-30-2017, 11:02 AM
Ha! CRS is a wonderful thing at times!
Mine has advanced to CRAFT

Big Boomer
08-30-2017, 11:51 AM
CRS is not the problem! Its a chronic case of brassscrounging (may have one s too many in there someplace and probably in the wrong place). I am beset with the same condition and I know it is going to hurt me more in the future. I now have so many pieces of .40 S&W brass that I have scrounged over the years that I am going to have to buy a pistol in which to shoot it and I don't even like the caliber. Same for the .30 Carbine brass I have collected. Always wanted a Ruger Blackhawk in .30 Carbine. What's a fellow to do anyway when he has this condition? Don't think there is a cure. Big Boomer