PDA

View Full Version : 1886 Winchester Barreled in 348

Eddie17
08-25-2017, 04:04 PM
I have a 1886 Winchester That was rebarrled to 348 Winchester. Serial number on frame puts production in 1896. The 348 Barrel does not fit into the equation unless it was done after maybe 1935? or when 348 came out?
Don't what to hijack this thread will start my own! I'm really trying to figure this gun out.
A lot of personal interest envoled!
So:

A close friend of mind was selling this gun to me, in the process he has passed away.
It had belonged to his dad who is also longtime gone, so I could not get any history on rifle. He was selling because of the cost of Ammo, an that it kicked like a mule with the metal butt plate.
So my question is, 1886 Winchester rechambered in 348 Winchester, maybe some time in the 30's IDK? What is the value?
Looking for help!
Will pull it out of the safe for pictures to help"
Has a unique Scope mount that pivots to the side to allow case ejection!
Thanks to any one who may be able to help!

pietro
08-25-2017, 05:06 PM

The 1886 could have been re-barreled & otherwise converted internally to .348 anytime after the Model 71 was introduced, and (sans proof/provenance) cannot be determined just when.

As to value, any custom rifle, made to some person's druthers, may not appeal to a different person, who might not want a gun customized for someone else - which means they are only worth what someone that wants it would be actually willing to pay you for it.

IOW, YMMV.

While I don't remember a scope mounts branded "Unique", if you really meant that they were one-of-a-kind, it may not be, since Williams Gun Sight Co, Weaver, & Apel (to name a few) made top/side scope mounts, that pivoted the scope off to the left so the open barrel sights could be used when desired.

Eddie17
08-25-2017, 05:30 PM
I was trying to say, you don't come across this mount often. I'll try to post pictures soon!

texasnative46
08-25-2017, 06:01 PM
Eddie17,

That "hybrid-rifle" may be a factory original.

My brother of the heart has a hybrid of a Model 12 & a Model 1897 that Winchester "assembled" about 1935. = He has a factory letter on it.
(Winchester sold a considerable number of rifles/shotguns that were "assembled from spare parts" during The Great Depression. - MOST went to police & corrections departments "on the cheap" by contract, when the company was in bad financial straits.)

yours, tex

W.R.Buchanan
08-25-2017, 07:19 PM
Yes that gun could have easily been assembled in 1935 of parts made earlier. A Model 71 is nothing more than an 1886 in .348 Winchester and made after 1935.

The 1886 was also made in .33 WCF (Winchester Center Fire) which was the predecessor of the .348 cartridge. Those guns generally had full length magazine tubes whereas the M71's had half length mag tubes.

All gun companies use parts in inventory to assemble guns as needed for stock, and the creation of a new model that begins life being assembled from inventory parts is not at all unusual, especially from American Gun Makers like Winchester or Marlin during lean times.

You may have something that is really valuable, but you will need to get it in front of a knowledgeable Winchester Collector or maybe call Winchester with the serial Number to see if you can get the build list for the gun.

Another source for this info might be the Cody Museum in Cody WY. They have lots of Winchester Historical Data archived and might be the best bet.

Randy.

texasnative46
08-25-2017, 09:21 PM
Randy,

Fwiw, I bought a 1886 in .33wcf some 20 years ago "for peanuts" from a pawnshop.
(The owner asked why I wanted, "that old thing" & then opined, "Why you can't even buy shells for it.")
The old .33 is "a KILLER" with a 220 grain GCCB, in front of 33 grains of 4198 out to 200M. It's easy to reload. When I loaded a considerable number of hunting rounds each year, I got 8 CB reloads per case average without problems.
(I wouldn't be afraid to use it on the BIG BEARS out to 100+M, as the .33's forte is DEEP penetration.)

yours, tex

TXGunNut
08-26-2017, 09:02 AM
With a non-original barrel the gun's collector value is reduced significantly. Proof marks and date codes from the barrel could help tell this old gun's story. If you can describe them I may be able to give you some clues. If the receiver was drilled & tapped to accommodate the scope mount the collector value is reduced further. It's a great old rifle chambered for an interesting cartridge but it's value is in it's history and possibly as a shooter. The folks at Cody could give you more info but it's unlikely the barrel's swap was done at the factory and even if it was, the ledger is unlikely to mention it. JMHO of course, but Winchester collectors can be a rather fickle bunch.

funnyyy
08-26-2017, 09:07 AM
I was trying to say, you don't come across this mount often. I'll try to post pictures soon!

hi, just want to say i'm waiting for pictures as well

texasnative46
08-26-2017, 01:16 PM
Eddie17,

IF that rifle was mine, I would have called the folks at Cody AND inquired at Winchester's factory, with photos & all known data that may be on the rifle. = It may be quite valuable OR it may just be a nice "shooter-grade" rifle.

yours, tex

missionary5155
08-26-2017, 06:58 PM
Greetings
Take a close look at the cartridge lifter. 348 rimes are much larger in diameter and require that the lifter be opened up so the fatter diameter 348 rim will slide in to the rear of the lifter.
We built a 50 Alaskan couple years back and opening that lifter for that fat rim was fun. Near the same diameter as the 348.
Mike in Peru

smokeywolf
08-26-2017, 07:29 PM
Mike, if the original caliber of his '86 was 50-110, the lifter didn't have to be opened up, as the 50-110 is the parent case of the 348.

Eddie17
08-26-2017, 07:42 PM
Here are some pictures:202671,202673,202674,202676.
You can see how the scope pivots to the side to allow shell ejection.
I had researched the scope mount and I believe I found a patent date in the mid 30's.
The serial number 85XXX from what I had found puts production prior to 1900.

smokeywolf
08-26-2017, 08:14 PM
A really sweet looking rifle. I would definitely request a letter on it from Cody Museum.

James Wisner
08-26-2017, 09:57 PM
A couple of things to look for.
On the breech of the barrel just in front of the receiver, the barrel can have two proof marks.

The normal WP in a oval, will be on it if it was installed at the factory or it was taken off a factory assembled rifle.

Winchester did not start using this WP in a oval until about 1903, but IF the rifle went back to them for rebarreling then they would have marked the receiver with the WP, at that point yes a factory letter would help.

If it has a P in a oval, then that means the barrel was a mail order part, and not installed by the factory.

The guts inside the 86 action is different than the 71, but to much to get into describing just now.

JW

pietro
08-26-2017, 10:35 PM

The metal finish is too highly polished to be original, so IMHO it's a nice custom rifle with handmade pivoting scope mount I've never seen before (I've been looking at stuff like that for over 50 years)

Chill Wills
08-26-2017, 10:54 PM
The guts inside the 86 action is different than the 71, but to much to get into describing just now.

JW

Bingo! I read a few posts up that they were the same but the first time you take one down thinking a M-71 is just an 1886, quickly find out , Not!

I tried following a JB Wood 1886 Winchester guide on one of my M-71's years ago and learned I needed a guild for the M-71.

Eddie17
08-27-2017, 07:15 AM
Pulled the rifle out of the safe along with the scope. I have removed the scope to allow for shooting with iron sites. The pictures posted are from when I had first recieved rifle.
I agree Pietro that finish on rife does not fit the year of production. The scope mount though is Im pretty sure a company or factory made part. Relooking up the us patten number puts the patten date at 1949.202687202688
James Wisner, the only marking I can see with out removing the forestock are
W&S cal. 348. Would this in your opinion make it an aftermarket barrel?
What I'm trying to do with this rifle is to be able to use the scope an Whittmore mount.
The scope is a Weaver K 2.5 that is very difficult to see thru. My problem is I cannot figure out how to remove the Whittmore rings. If anyone has info on how to remove the rings and suggestions on who or where to go for scope repair it would greatly appreciated.

pietro
08-27-2017, 12:38 PM

That's a pretty arcane scope mount - I've never seen one like that before, so thanks for the education. :)

W.R.Buchanan
08-27-2017, 07:41 PM
Eddie: another place to call for Info Might be Turnbull Restorations. They have seen a lot of weird things, and I'd send them the pics and see if they had encountered anything like it. They might even offer to buy it from you as that's where they get the guns they redo. They would probably want $25-35K for the gun after resto.

One thing though,,, All of the M71's had Pistol Grip Stocks and Curved Levers so that gun is almost certainly a custom, and it could be a Winchester Custom Order or Rebuild.

But the thing that is really cool about that gun is the scope mount. It is probably worth more than the whole gun!!!. I would definitely leave it on the gun.

As far as Scope Repair for the K2.5 I sent mine to L&K Scope Repair. It will cost you $150 but it will be back to you in a week or so. Others take much longer but are cheaper. L&K's work is first rate IMO.

Hope some of this helps, and do leave that scope on there. That scope mount is just too cool, and even more so if it repeats every time you run the lever!

Randy

Eddie17
08-27-2017, 08:04 PM
Randy I believe this is a 1886 produced prior to 1900 going by serial number. At some point it was redone with the W&S 348 barrel. As 348 came out in about 1935, the gun was most likely redone after that date, with the Whittmore scope mount, after 1949. My goal is to keep the rifle as I recieved it with the K2.5 scope, and mount. Looking to get the scope rebuilt and usable, just don't want the loose the rings off the scope if I send it out for repair. I think from research the scope mount may have a unique value.
Ed

missionary5155
08-28-2017, 08:44 AM
Good morning
In all this 1886 is one interesting find ! That scope setup is without doubt a unique approach.

Smokey That was a good observation on the carrier / bolt face issue. Forgot all about the 50-110's. If that is an original 50-110 receiver they are in that "somewhat" rare category. Still a very nice rig to be the proud owner of.
Mike in Peru

W.R.Buchanan
08-28-2017, 12:39 PM
Ed: that sounds like the most logical explanation. It also seems logical that Winchester would have been the ones to re-barrel that gun, as I doubt there were that many Winchester .348 barrels just floating around from 1935 to 1949. Kind of a specialized thing as most people back then used 30-30's or .30-06's for hunting.

The scope mount is definitely cool and if it repeats its position well enough to shoot 3-4" groups at 100 yards then I'd say you are good to go.

.348 Win is not known for tack driver accuracy, it is more about power in the woods for larger game and a great brush cartridge.

I almost bought a Deluxe Model 71 ( Receiver Sight and Checkering) about 20 years ago which was in real nice condition but they wanted $1400 for it and wouldn't budge. Bet they'd want $3500+ for it now.

That is definitely a unique gun and I would seriously send Pics to Turnbull and see what they think about it. They have seen just about everything during their restoration business, and maybe could shed some more light on the gun. I know they are easy to talk to and would probably be helpful.

Randy

Eddie17
08-28-2017, 04:51 PM
I will contact Turnbull with pictures an detail, sounds like a good plan!
But my real reason of this post is how to get the Whittmore rings off the Weaver 2.5 scope. I do not what to lose the pieces of this "unigue scope mount" .
Also who would repair an bring the scope up to usable condition?
All input is greatly appreciated!
This is something that's been on the back burner, I'd like to get it done!
Thanks,
Ed

Shawlerbrook
08-28-2017, 05:22 PM
I would also opt for a Cody letter. I have a 1894SRC made in 1906 that was rebarrelled at the Winchester factory to 25 35 in the 30's. There are some markings on the barrel that tell the story.

Eddie17
08-28-2017, 05:38 PM
Thank you, will try to contact with info.

Old-Win
08-29-2017, 04:50 PM
I really doubt that Winchester would rebarrel that rifle. First, it was born during the BP era and those rifles operated at about 26-28,000 PSI. Steels were not nearly that good at that time. By the time the .33 Winchester came out with smokeless powder, pressures started to rise. Chrome moly steels were in use and advertised as "Winchester Proof Steel" in the barrels and probably the actions. By the time the Model 71 came out, Winchester was advertising "Winchester Proof Steel" for added strength. The operating pressure of the .348 Winchester approaches 44,000 PSI. I have a hunch, that the reason Winchester used the large base on the .348 is so it could not be easily fitted to another rifle. The 45-70 case that the .33 Winchester is based, on has plenty of room for powder to match the .348 so why didn't Winchester just neck down the 45-70 case to .348 and build the Mod 71 on that case. This is just conjecture on my part but something you may want to look in to.

Eddie17
08-29-2017, 05:25 PM
Old-Win, wouldn't the receiver of the day, a 1886 design be able to handle the pressures? With a new barrel?

skeettx
08-29-2017, 05:37 PM
Get a Cody letter and all will be solved
https://centerofthewest.org/explore/firearms/firearms-records/

Malamute
08-29-2017, 06:57 PM
There was a change in the material and heat treat of the 86 receivers. They are sometimes referred to as black powder and smokeless powder receivers, but that's a general term as to period, I don't know that there weren't any smokeless chambered guns made in the early type, though that may have been the point that they started with 33. Elmer Keith and others mentioned the differences, and suggested loads appropriate for each type when handloading higher powered handloads for hunting.

Ive heard Winchester would re-barrel some 86s to 33 and perhaps 348, but I seriously doubt they would do so with a non-factory made barrel. Barrels were sold for gunsmiths or whoever to change them, its not terribly uncommon to see guns with factory barrels that weren't factory installed. Someone mentioned the difference in proof marks that tell the tale.

I agree, it looks to be refinished at some point. The pics aren't super detailed, but what I could tell, it doesnt look too bad. There were good people at polishing a gun for bluing, and bad. Most are familiar with the bad ones. If well done, its hard to tell other than things like the rust pitting on the tang with good blue right next to it. Whoever blued it was a fair hand at polishing and not ruining the markings and edges. An up close examination may reveal more clues, but that's my take from the pics we have available. At the top end of the refinishing scale, a factory refinish looks like a factory finish. Those guys are literally pros that do it all day every day. I don't think its factory refinish, just making the point about quality of work. Not all reblues are poor work.

woodbutcher
08-29-2017, 10:38 PM
:) And the adventure continues.That`s a swell looking rifle.Please keep the updates coming as you are able.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

Eddie17
08-30-2017, 02:04 PM
Thank you Sheettx for the link. Fillled out the form online, they replied and will send invoice for payment. So will be interesting to find some history on what the gun was when it left the factory.
Still looking for help on the Weaver 2.5 scope rebuild or repair.
Thanks to all, again for the help.
Ed

pietro
08-30-2017, 02:41 PM
Still looking for help on the Weaver 2.5 scope rebuild or repair.

If you read through the description Whittemore provided with his patent application, you could most likely be able to noodle out how to remove the scope from the mount/rings, so it can be sent out for refurbishing.

https://www.google.ch/patents/US2451266

skeettx
08-30-2017, 02:59 PM
As for the rings, study the info on the Stith mounts.
http://www.hallowellco.com/stith_mount%20-%20definition.htm

This early Weaver K-2.5 did not have centering cross hairs.
I would check for a set screw under the front mount ring.
Mike

Eddie17
08-30-2017, 05:40 PM
Just paid my invoice, wait time may be up 4 weeks for letter.
Will look at scope rings closer.
Anyone have a source for a quality rebuilder on the Weaver Scope?

skeettx
08-30-2017, 06:01 PM
CALL here and check
http://parsonsscopeservice.com/

TXGunNut
08-30-2017, 07:19 PM
Old-Win, wouldn't the receiver of the day, a 1886 design be able to handle the pressures? With a new barrel?

Very unlikely. The 71 receiver was manufactured to handle pressures of the 348, much higher than anything the 1886 was chambered for. Firing factory or full-strength hand load 348 ammo in this rifle would likely eventually damage the weaker 1886 action. The repair shop gunsmiths at Winchester were certainly aware of this and most likely would not install a 348 barrel on an 1886 action.

Eldon
08-30-2017, 07:25 PM
There are 100s of K2.5s for sale out there that are in great condition. For what you could buy a fine one for the cost and wait to get it repaired are hardly worth it.

Here's one that will close out at around $100.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Weaver-K2-5-Scope-and-Original-box-/222627255143?hash=item33d59e5367:g:sdAAAOSwmo5ZpKi-

You won't live long enough to get a scope fixed by Parsons.

Eldon
08-30-2017, 07:28 PM
Other weird Winchesters exist.

I just bought a "64" deluxe rifle that is ALL 64 except the receiver was made in 1908 and says "1894" on the tang.

So did someone send an ancient 1894 carbine/rifle back to New Haven and had it redone OR did a really skilled person build this.?

Note complete lack of ovaled holes, bunged up screw heads etc..

TXGunNut
08-31-2017, 09:44 AM
So did someone send an ancient 1894 carbine/rifle back to New Haven and had it redone OR did a really skilled person build this.? -Eldon

The Cody museum will likely have records of your rifle but it will likely be SNA (serial number applied) date only and it will be listed as an 1894 if your production date info is correct. (381524-429757) The barrel markings could be helpful in unravelling this mystery. A "P" in a circle will indicate a mail order barrel, the WP proof is a factory barrel but it could have been taken off a 64 or replaced at the factory. The receiver sight is not original and a 1908 receiver did not have holes to accommodate it. Your "64" is a very nice restoration, IMHO.

smokeywolf
08-31-2017, 12:19 PM
Eldon, the receiver obviously being a Model 94, may I ask what it says on the barrel? Pretty much all the Model 64s had "Model 64" stamped on the barrel along with the caliber.

Eldon
08-31-2017, 12:42 PM
All the other parts carry 64 markings.

W.R.Buchanan
08-31-2017, 12:54 PM
L&K scope repair. Call him you may not have to remove the rings to fix it.

http://www.lkscoperepair.com/

Randy

Eldon
08-31-2017, 01:13 PM
Removing the scope from the rings is easy. The front and rear rings hold the scope in by a compression fitting and lock ring (clear in your drawings). The lock ring may have a set screw. Soak everything in Penetrating oil for a day, remove the ocular lens housing, loosen the lock rings and the rings will slide off the scope. DON"T mess with that old K2.5. Probably has delaminated lenses. Buy a fine one on Ebay.

Get some dies and a mold and load up some light loads with Trail Boss. They won't hurt you or take apart the new scope.

Let's stop "jawing" and get the old gal shootin' again !

Eddie17
09-01-2017, 05:30 PM
All ready loaded an shot my cast bullets thru this Winchester. They were my first rifle cast boolits.
Need to site in the cast boolit loads on the iron sites, while I work out the K2.5 scope rebuild!

Eddie17
09-01-2017, 05:34 PM
Thank you W-R-Buchanan will try to contact after the long WE.

Eldon
09-02-2017, 12:40 AM
My 1894/64 arrived. Everything is 64 except the action. It has the steel widows peak buttplate. Stock is checkered but no gripcap. The barrel has no WP or P in an oval.

Starting to smell like some other "lunchbox" guns I have had from Remington, Winchester and Savage.
(257 Roberts 721, 55 30-30 with no serial #, not ground off, M23 in 44-40)

Eldon
09-02-2017, 12:45 AM
while I work out the K2.5 scope rebuild!

Okay, knock yourself out, after months, you'll be told it's trash. Meanwhile you could have been shooting.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LOT-3-WEAVER-M-K-2-5-60-B-RIFLE-SCOPE-W-STANDARD-CROSSHAIR-/391867282390?hash=item5b3d1c33d6:g:fl8AAOSw4HxZmEw 4

EDG
09-02-2017, 09:28 AM
Parson's site says they do not work on Weavers and LK charges $175 to rebuild your scope no matter what it needs. It is cheaper to buy another scope.
The guy at Ironsight usually has a 12 to 16 MONTH lead time.
http://ironsightinc.com/index.php?route=common/weaver

There is also a repair shop in Florida but they seem to be difficult to get information out of.
Good luck on the scope rebuild. Optics people don't really seem interested in business.
I have one of the very nice Redfield 12X fixed scope that only needs the inner surface of the objective lens cleaned.
LK refused to do that work but did offer to rebuild the scope for $175 . Since I refused he offered to buy my scope cheap.
So I don't know if that is how those guys get repair parts or if they repair the old scopes and flip them....

Be very careful according to some of these threads. There is significant negative input on most of the scope repair outfits.

http://www.opticstalk.com/where-to-get-redfield-scopes-repaired_topic39323.html

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?333273-ABO-Scope-Repair-Company-in-Florida

About your rifle.
Back in the 1960s, Numrich advertised M71 .348 Win barrels and M71 locking bolts at very reasonable prices in the American Rifleman.
During that time frame the American Rifleman seemed dominated by articles intended for old guys on the east coast and in New England. These old guys sole interests seemed be collecting and NOT shooting. As a result many of the letter to the editors asked questions about odd ball rifles.
One of those odd ball rifles was a M71 in .33 Win. The American Rifleman said that rifle was probably re-barreled at the factory. But the AR also said that there were records of 1 or 2 M71 rifles originally built to order in .33 Win. caliber.

All ready loaded an shot my cast bullets thru this Winchester. They were my first rifle cast boolits.
Need to site in the cast boolit loads on the iron sites, while I work out the K2.5 scope rebuild!

EDG
09-02-2017, 10:10 AM
Think about it a minute.
You have a rifle action that is a fixed length. You cannot make the ammo much longer to get more velocity. All you can do is either raise the pressure or make the case fatter or both. The .33 Win base is only about .500. The .348 is larger on the base at .550. So the .33 Win does not have the ability to match the .348 in any way except length. Using a larger base was nothing but a engineering requirement to get great case capacity and had nothing to do with preventing fitting a .348 barrel to another rifle. The .348 rim is the same diameter as the .33 Win rim.

I really doubt that Winchester would rebarrel that rifle. First, it was born during the BP era and those rifles operated at about 26-28,000 PSI. Steels were not nearly that good at that time. By the time the .33 Winchester came out with smokeless powder, pressures started to rise. Chrome moly steels were in use and advertised as "Winchester Proof Steel" in the barrels and probably the actions. By the time the Model 71 came out, Winchester was advertising "Winchester Proof Steel" for added strength. The operating pressure of the .348 Winchester approaches 44,000 PSI. I have a hunch, that the reason Winchester used the large base on the .348 is so it could not be easily fitted to another rifle. The 45-70 case that the .33 Winchester is based, on has plenty of room for powder to match the .348 so why didn't Winchester just neck down the 45-70 case to .348 and build the Mod 71 on that case. This is just conjecture on my part but something you may want to look in to.

pietro
09-02-2017, 10:49 AM
Back in the 1960s, Numrich advertised M71 .348 Win barrels and M71 locking bolts at very reasonable prices in the American Rifleman.

During that time frame the American Rifleman seemed dominated by articles intended for old guys on the east coast and in New England.

HEY ! ! I represent that ! ;) :drinks:

Eddie17
09-07-2017, 03:08 PM
Well I have one. Waiting on factory documation!

Eddie17
09-07-2017, 03:15 PM
If I'm still posting on my link?
I have removed the rings from the W2.5 scope!
A long story short. Bought a couple of tools, rings removed.
Pictures and details to follow!
Eddie

woodbutcher
09-07-2017, 09:40 PM
:) And the adventure continues:drinks:.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

Ballistics in Scotland
09-08-2017, 07:55 AM
Greetings
Take a close look at the cartridge lifter. 348 rims are much larger in diameter and require that the lifter be opened up so the fatter diameter 348 rim will slide in to the rear of the lifter.
We built a 50 Alaskan couple years back and opening that lifter for that fat rim was fun. Near the same diameter as the 348.
Mike in Peru

I have a couple of WW cases in front of me, .348 converted to 8x60R Portuguese and .45-70 converted into .40-65. The rims of both measure .601in. Thickness is also within .001in. of being the same. I wouldn't advocate this conversion, but I think a .45-90 cartridge lifter would be easily converted, or usable unconverted with .348 rounds a little under the maximum overall length.

I think an 1886 receiver most likely would be unimpaired by un-hotrodded .348 rounds - if you like "most likely". The receiver isn't the whole story, though. The 1886 ejector extends all the way to the centre of the case-head, with a little half-moon where it forms part of the firing-pin hole. This was changed as early as the 1892 and 1894, and I don't know why they didn't alter the 1886 at that time. although they did in the 71, and so do some modern manufacturers of 1886 clones.

The ejector head can break off. I have heard of one being shot with no ill effects, with moderate but not BP equivalent loads in modern brass. But no ill effects all the time? I wouldn't want to count on that. At the very least I would check for dirt or rust under the ejector head of any old 1886.

We never know what might happen in factory assembly. Apart from what was intended, there are mistakes, or dishonest employees lunchbox (or in this case trouser-leg) guns. I suppose there is a very slim chance that it could be one of Winchester's own developmental guns, and then we are talking real value. Otherwise I think it is most likely a gunsmith or amateur rebarrelling, with a spare barrel or one taken from a damaged 71. This would lower the collector value a bit, but I think not disastrously. Despite Texasnative's experience, shootable 1886s in such beautiful condition, even refinished, seldom go for peanuts. I am still waiting for one. A provable factory rebarrelling seems improbable, although product liability in the 30s wasn't what it is today. Does anybody have a 1930s catalogue which includes the parts? In the 1899 one I have, they offer dire warnings against smokeless reloading. So maybe they do against using a 71 barrel in an 1886.

That rifle has surely done quite a bit of shooting. But I would limit it (and be very glad to have it) to reloads of little more than .33 performance. There are situations in which a flatter trajectory would be useful, but nothing in the western hemisphere, and very little in the eastern, needs more impact than the .33.

Eddie17
09-08-2017, 03:46 PM
Thank you B in Scotland,
I have contacted an paid for documation from Cody on this rifle, thank you all for supplied info!
I have shot both, reloads using factory bullets, and my cast boolits.
Both with out the scope as it is very dull to look thru.
Need to dial in Iron sites.
My first goal with this rifle was to get the period scope, on the Whittmore Scope carrier usable, second to optain as much history as I can on how this 1886 Winchester became barreled in 348 WIN.
Will post pics of better quality soon.
Thanks again to all information provided!
Great site!
Ed

Ballistics in Scotland
09-10-2017, 03:20 AM
We look forward to the Cody information.

I agree, you can probably find a scope like this with clear optics for less than having one rebuilt, maybe even less than having it cleaned. I had a steel Weaver K1.5 of the 1970s repaired in the UK, and I wouldn't call it excessively expensive or slow, considering that he had to grind the edges of a new eyepiece lens to the right diameter. but I'm sure I could have found a good one for no more. Still, I had owned that one from new, and the memories locked up in it are mine, which makes a difference.

missionary5155
09-10-2017, 05:38 AM
Good morning
Well one thing is for sure. The Winchester 1886 was designed to be strong. If your 348 was mine I would enjoy it and shoot it with just like any other rifle we end up with. Start with a good cast bullet properly fitted to that throat and let the fun begin. Look for an 80% power load and start up the hill.
We have an 86 (jap) in 50 Alaskan. There is a massive amount of strength in that action type. Yes I am sure it has limitations. But your rifle will let you know when you are approaching the place to tone it down.
I sure do want to read about all the enjoyment you will have.
Mike inPeru

Texas by God
09-11-2017, 01:22 PM
What a cool old setup. I would definitely get the scope fixed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

John Taylor
09-13-2017, 09:06 PM
I have worked on more than a few 1886s and converted some to 50 EX. The rim size on the 348 and 50EX is very close to that of the 45-70. The carrier on the 86 in 50 EX needs to be opened up, not for the rim, but for the fatter body. The carrier has a slight curve at the rear that allows the 45-70 to go all the way back but the 50 will not make the curve. I made up a 4 barrel set for an 86 takedown and one was 50 EX and one 348. When test firing I had some 348 Buffalo Bore ammo that jammed the gun, could not open after firing. It worked fine with Winchester factory 348. The locking lugs on the 71 have a little more slant which probably makes it a little easier to open. When taking an 86 to 50EX the feed rail need to be opened up about .020", the end of the lever needs to be made thiner so the loading gate will open more and the inside of the frame needs a little work. Sometime the mag tube needs a little removed on one side. The model 71 has a different design carrier. Not sure what alterations the 71 will need to get it to feed a 50 but I'm in the process of doing one for myself.