PDA

View Full Version : Just Say NO to OREO! HYDROX is BACK! Made In USA!

DougGuy
08-25-2017, 01:59 PM
I was very disappointed in Nabisco's decision to move the production of OREO cookies from Chicago where they had been made for over 100 years, to Mexico, closing out 600 American jobs from people that had worked for them for decades. I personally will NEVER bring an OREO cookie product to my lips again so long as I live.

Now, a private interest has bought the secrets of the beloved HYDROX creme sandwich cookie from the powers that be at Kellogg, and they are just beginning to be back on the market again. They aren't 100% the same great cookie we all loved, but the originals were chocked full of trans fats and other unhealthy things so the reborn Hydrox is much healthier, and tastes GREAT!!

Here is an interesting Podcast detailing the purchase and rebirth of this American classic, worth a listen: http://www.npr.org/sections/money/2017/08/23/545546014/episode-652-the-hydrox-resurrection

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/DougGuy/Hydrox2017-640_zpsmuzxgfb3.jpg (http://s1202.photobucket.com/user/DougGuy/media/Hydrox2017-640_zpsmuzxgfb3.jpg.html)

Get them at Kroger stores and other retailers...

Outpost75
08-25-2017, 02:02 PM
And am I correct that unlike the "Oreo" the Hydrox cookie is not a racist epithet...

SO we can actually speak the name without having to wear a white sheet?

dragon813gt
08-25-2017, 02:11 PM
Hydrox is an American classic? They were terrible and a poor imitation of an Oreo. I respect someone's decision to not purchase Oreos anymore. But Hydrox were never good.

DougGuy
08-25-2017, 02:11 PM
Glad they didn't name them creme sandwich crackers huh?

But Hydrox were never good.

Actually I preferred Oreo over Hydrox but the chocolate in a Hydrox cookie was a little darker and a little more pronounced than in the Oreo. The cocoa flavor hung on the back of your tongue longer, I do remember that about the old ones.

historicfirearms
08-25-2017, 02:13 PM
It's still a black/white/black cookie so probably still racist. Infact it's probably more racist now that they are competing with the Mexicans.

dragon813gt
08-25-2017, 02:28 PM
Actually I preferred Oreo over Hydrox but the chocolate in a Hydrox cookie was a little darker and a little more pronounced than in the Oreo. The cocoa flavor hung on the back of your tongue longer, I do remember that about the old ones.

Obviously taste is different from person to person. Hydrox was equated to knock off cereals when I was growing up. None of the knock offs tasted as good as the originals. My parents tried to save money any which way they could while I was growing up. Knock off cereals and Hydrox weren't on the list of ways to do it [emoji23]

I'm not a fan of Oreos to begin w/. The only time I will eat them is when in a DQ Blizzard. Most of the cookies and cream ice creams around here don't use Oreos.

Hannibal
08-25-2017, 02:39 PM
I was very disappointed in Nabisco's decision to move the production of OREO cookies from Chicago where they had been made for over 100 years, to Mexico, closing out 600 American jobs from people that had worked for them for decades. I personally will NEVER bring an OREO cookie product to my lips again so long as I live.

Now, a private interest has bought the secrets of the beloved HYDROX creme sandwich cookie from the powers that be at Kellogg, and they are just beginning to be back on the market again. They aren't 100% the same great cookie we all loved, but the originals were chocked full of trans fats and other unhealthy things so the reborn Hydrox is much healthier, and tastes GREAT!!

I'm gettin' really sick and tired of these 'great' tasting reformulations.
If you're eatin' pre-packaged cookies from the 'cookies and chips' aisle at the grocery store, I'm bettin' your waistline or cholesterol levels aren't real high priorities for ya.
Like makin' the burgers and fries taste like soggy microwaved tofu at McDogfood just in the alleged interest that it will be *better for you*.

Chaps my back side.

6bg6ga
08-25-2017, 02:51 PM
People need to stand up and let these companies know that if they move production facilities to Mexico their products will not be purchased. Frankly the quality of the Oreo has gone down hill since the cookie got thinner and simply doesn't taste as good. I don't partake in cookies very often but when I do I want an AMERICAN fricken cookie not an olay.

Hogtamer
08-25-2017, 02:52 PM
It adds up...Buy Hydrox!

DerekP Houston
08-25-2017, 03:26 PM
I'll give em a try, I like most cookies I've met ;D

Rick Hodges
08-25-2017, 03:39 PM
I always preferred the old Hydrox over the Oreo...Oreo was just too sweet? I'm happy to give them a try.

Echo
08-25-2017, 04:53 PM
OK, but aren't the Double-Stuff still made in the US? Huh? PLEASE TELL ME IT'S TRUE!

Geezer in NH
08-25-2017, 05:29 PM
Clorox cookies sound so appetizing, Not.

Explain Chicago vs Mexico?

garym1a2
08-25-2017, 05:45 PM
I dont want no Mexican cookie.

AKtinman
08-25-2017, 06:01 PM
I preferred Hydrox to Oreos. I'll give them a try.

Now... If Kraft would bring back the ORIGINAL formula Miracle Whip!!

Hogtamer
08-25-2017, 06:17 PM
There used to be some fig bars that were really good. Not the dry fig newtons with no filling. Anybody know if they're still around somewhere?

MUSTANG
08-25-2017, 06:30 PM
We quit eating OREO's in our household months ago when we heard they were shipping production equipment and jobs to Mexico. Time we stop outsourcing US Jobs to other countries, and placing US workers on the "Dole" instead of productive work. Not sure I'll go looking for a Hydrox Cookie, but I hope the pallet of Oreo's I saw in Costco last week go stale for lack of interest by customers.

I remember the TV adds several decades ago where the workers were singing "Look for the Union Label,...... ". Never have been a "Union Man"; nothing against those who who choose to belong to uNions, it's just not for me; but... WE HAVE TO STOP SENDING OUR JOBS AND US WEALTH OVERSEAS, while we keep the debt and grow WELFARE RECIPIENTS here in the US.

DougGuy
08-25-2017, 09:09 PM
If you're eatin' pre-packaged cookies from the 'cookies and chips' aisle at the grocery store, I'm bettin' your waistline or cholesterol levels aren't real high priorities for ya.

It's an infrequent thing. 6' and 180ish here so not really any excess baggage, cholesterol could be lower but I used to eat really healthy, no fatty meat, lots of fish and veggies, no cookies or donuts or ice cream, then I got cancer and I am like what's the point? So F it, I eat what I want to now..

2wheelDuke
08-25-2017, 09:14 PM
Hydrox is an American classic? They were terrible and a poor imitation of an Oreo. I respect someone's decision to not purchase Oreos anymore. But Hydrox were never good.

I understand that Hydrox were actually there first. However, as a kid, Oreos were amazing and Hydrox always tasted disgusting.

It's been a long time since I've bought Oreos, and it's been decades since I tasted a Hydrox. If I cheat on the diet and have cookies I'll try to remember to try Hydrox and see if they've improved.

As far as imports go, I prefer the Hencho en Mexico Coca Colas with real sugar over the HFCS domestic Cokes when I do break down and have one.

Nueces
08-25-2017, 09:41 PM
There used to be some fig bars that were really good. Not the dry fig newtons with no filling. Anybody know if they're still around somewhere?

I had the same yen a few years ago and bought a box of Fig Newtons. Promptly tossed most of them. Nasty.

Got on the net and found a feller with the same idea who had done serious research on locating the best modern fig cookie. He recommended the Target brand ones. So, I tried some and agreed with him. They were as good as the Fig Newtons of my youth. Haven't bought any in years, but it's one place to start.

Hold on, I see you are asking about fig bars, not cookies. Sorry, no experience with those.

smokeywolf
08-25-2017, 09:41 PM
I always preferred the old Hydrox over the Oreo...Oreo was just too sweet? I'm happy to give them a try.

What he said.

Hannibal
08-25-2017, 09:46 PM
It's an infrequent thing. 6' and 180ish here so not really any excess baggage, cholesterol could be lower but I used to eat really healthy, no fatty meat, lots of fish and veggies, no cookies or donuts or ice cream, then I got cancer and I am like what's the point? So F it, I eat what I want to now..

I get that. My point is, if we're gonna eat nunk, how about junk that tastes GOOD!
TRANSFATS, LARD, SUGAR, TAR.

izzyjoe
08-25-2017, 09:53 PM
Those Mexican Coca Cola's are great! I was standing in line at tractor supply a few weeks back, and happened to notice the original coke bottle in the cooler beside the cashier, so I grabbed one. I got to the truck and realized that the top pops off, well I found my dads old church key in the ash tray, anyone remember those! But I just sat in the truck and reminessd of days gone bye, and enjoyed that coke, 'oh, and I had a smile too! It makes me sad that America is the biggest importer, boy how times have changed, my grandpa would roll in his grave if he seen how this country has gone sheet! Sorry I'll get off the soap box now!

Ed K
08-25-2017, 10:56 PM
Acknowledging Oreo is a household word, I always thought Hydrox had a better chocolate taste.

kungfustyle
08-26-2017, 01:25 AM
life is too short. Eat the cookie!!!! and now its Hydrox. Works for me, I still get to eat the cookie. I'm doing a low carb thing and as soon as I get to my goal weight, I'm getting a pack of Hydrox!!!!! Thanks OP.

Artful
08-26-2017, 02:03 AM
OK, but aren't the Double-Stuff still made in the US? Huh? PLEASE TELL ME IT'S TRUE!

You have to check the Oreo package - I don't see many that say USA
I find some made in Canada, some say made in Mexico and some won't claim any place where they are made.

KCSO
08-26-2017, 01:53 PM
So? We eat cookies to be healthy? I don't think so.

WILCO
08-26-2017, 03:20 PM
Truth be told, I don't care. I spend my money on products I like and need. Life is too short and this country won't change until the wheels come off. Until then, I'm living my life in a way that suits me.

jimlj
08-26-2017, 04:38 PM
You have to check the Oreo package - I don't see many that say USA
I find some made in Canada, some say made in Mexico and some won't claim any place where they are made.
I just happened to finish a package of Double Stuff Oreo cookies as I was reading this. I dug the package out of the trash and they were made in Mexico.

Artful
08-26-2017, 05:34 PM
So? We eat cookies to be healthy? I don't think so.

Think again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knXgmfcIbb4

bedbugbilly
08-26-2017, 06:39 PM
Does this mean all of the Oreo statues have to be removed?

Personally, I don't eat either but if I'm going to have a cookie, it'll be be an old fashioned homemade Toll House.

rl69
08-27-2017, 09:04 AM
I had the same yen a few years ago and bought a box of Fig Newtons. Promptly tossed most of them. Nasty.

Got on the net and found a feller with the same idea who had done serious research on locating the best modern fig cookie. He recommended the Target brand ones. So, I tried some and agreed with him. They were as good as the Fig Newtons of my youth. Haven't bought any in years, but it's one place to start.

Hold on, I see you are asking about fig bars, not cookies. Sorry, no experience with those.

Target!!!!!!!! But they let boys use the girls bathroom ��

farmerjim
08-27-2017, 10:48 AM
I get that. My point is, if we're gonna eat nunk, how about junk that tastes GOOD!
TRANSFATS, LARD, SUGAR, TAR.

Sounds great.
I don't eat many sweets because I am diabetic. But when I do It had better be the real thing. Homemade. Then work my but off to burn up the extra sugar. I had 2 homemade chocolate chip cookies this morning that I brought home from a PPV boxing match party at a friends hunting camp. I never eat sweets after 5 pm unless I am going back out to do heavy work.

myg30
08-27-2017, 11:07 AM
I've not purchased oreos in a long time not any particular reason. Today I will buy a bag of Hydrox just to be able to comment here again. Of course I love cookies, just don't buy many.
Thanks for the heads up OP
Mike

buckwheatpaul
08-27-2017, 03:06 PM
Glad to know that HYDROX is back in business....havent bought and OREO since they sold out 600 American employees and moved to MEXICO......

PB234
08-27-2017, 04:39 PM
Before I stopped eating cookies I made my own. They were much better and cost a fraction of store bought.

myg30
09-02-2017, 09:31 AM
Last Sunday I picked up a package of hydrox. $3.49 ? I think they were. The oreos were sale $2.99 and looking all over the package I saw nothing that mensions Mexico as far as I looked.
The hydrox are very good, plenty full of cream filling and I'm now sold if I get another sweet tooth, I'll purchase them again.
Thanks again for the heads up !!

Mike

Randy Bohannon
09-02-2017, 10:00 AM
Any of you going to stop buying powder that's made off shore ? Not one response as to the WHY Oreo relocated to Mexico, it's called TARIFFS, we have over 12,000 tariffs on products that come to the U.S.Sugar is one of the most heavily taxed commodities, to stay in business they had to make some financial decisions.I don't eat either one, so I don't have a dog in this fight.Just the facts, the why matters.

Battis
09-02-2017, 10:15 AM
I'm bettin' your waistline or cholesterol levels aren't real high priorities for ya.

My high blood pressure pushes the cholesterol right along so it doesn't have a chance to gather anywhere. At least that's what I tell my DR.
I can't get within 20 ft of a pack of Double Stuffs - they disappear like magic.

Char-Gar
09-02-2017, 12:41 PM
Well, I am not offended by Mexican cookies, but I am offended by the loss of US jobs. I live on the Border and we have a 95% Mexican or Mexican-American population and every store is loaded with Mexican products. I am not talking about US brands made in Mexico, I am talking about Mexican brands.

Mexican cookies in general are less sweet as well as are their pastries. However some of the pan dulce is sugar coated. I prefer the Mexican less sweet cookies.

Char-Gar
09-02-2017, 12:42 PM
Those Mexican Coca Cola's are great! I was standing in line at tractor supply a few weeks back, and happened to notice the original coke bottle in the cooler beside the cashier, so I grabbed one. I got to the truck and realized that the top pops off, well I found my dads old church key in the ash tray, anyone remember those! But I just sat in the truck and reminessd of days gone bye, and enjoyed that coke, 'oh, and I had a smile too! It makes me sad that America is the biggest importer, boy how times have changed, my grandpa would roll in his grave if he seen how this country has gone sheet! Sorry I'll get off the soap box now!

Mexican Cokes are made with real sugar, just like the US Cokes of bygone days.

dragon813gt
09-02-2017, 01:14 PM
Mexican Cokes are made with real sugar, just like the US Cokes of bygone days.

Pepsi makes a version w/ real sugar. Word is that Coke is switching to HFCS for the Mexican version. I buy either Coke or Pepsi w/ real sugar, prefer Pepsi.

jonp
09-03-2017, 09:34 AM
Pepsi makes a version w/ real sugar. Word is that Coke is switching to HFCS for the Mexican version. I buy either Coke or Pepsi w/ real sugar, prefer Pepsi.

Yes, I read a story not long ago saying that Coke Mexico was switching to corn syrup. The cane sugar one really does taste better according to my wife. I don't drink it.

People have the cookie thing backwards. Hydrox are not an imitation of the original Oreo. It's the other way around. If I'm not mistaken, Hydrox has never stopped being made in Canada by Christie.

Char-Gar
09-03-2017, 11:10 AM

There are two plants that produce Cokes in Mexico. One uses fructose and the other uses sugar. Read the labels before buying.