PDA

View Full Version : The Almost Lead Score At Gander Mountains Going Out Of Business Sale

jonp
08-24-2017, 07:24 PM
Before the story I need to point out that Camping World, which bought Gander Mountain and is going to reopen some of the stores under a slightly different name, is run by a guy that does not like us. He has stated quite emphatically what he thinks of Trump and said "Those who voted for him, I don't need your business". He also said that Gander made a mistake selling guns or something pretty close to that. Don't do business with either Camping World or the new Gander. The heck with them

My wife and I went into the local Gander that is closing and it was pretty much cleaned out. They had a 50% off sale on guns and there was not one gun or scope left. She picked up some clothes for Christmas at 80% off and I wandered around while she was waiting in line. I ended up in the fishing section and in the back on the bottom shelf found the mother load. Several bins full of loose lead sinkers. 80% off lead???? I found a guy and asked him what was up and he didn't know so he called the store manager who came over. The store manager was kinda perplexed and called someone else. Turns out they were in the back somewhere and someone brought them out for the clearance sale and dropped them on the shelf. I asked him how much he wanted for them and he said he wasn't sure. He tried looking them up in the store book and they weren't there so he told me he would have to go online and find out the price and sell them to me by piece one at a time. I told him that didn't make any sense and offered to buy it all, probably 100lbs or more, just give me a price or I'd offer one and he was adamant. Sold piece by piece only. It might still have worked out ok but I wasn't willing to hang around for a couple of hours and run this down.

Almost a giant score. I might go back down and give it another try as they close in a couple of days.

Side Note: With the guns 50% off and with some of the rebates new T/C Compass rifles went for under $100. New Remington 1911's for under $200 etc. Store manager told me one guy came in and bought 30 Shotguns to resell. Missed the greatest gun sale of my lifetime by a few days.....

Rcmaveric
08-24-2017, 07:45 PM
I just mentioned that yesterday on another thread. I tried the same thing in Jacksonville and St. Augustine (Florida). They would not come off the individual sales and let me buy it in bulk.

prsman23
08-24-2017, 07:53 PM
The 50% off in my area was of retail. With what was left you could buy most of it on buds for about the same price. By the time I made it nothing but youth rifles and a few pistols left. You didn't miss out on much if it was anything like my store.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

lightman
08-24-2017, 09:43 PM
I guess we all have stories about lost scores. It sounds like you may have one more shot anyway.

reddog81
08-24-2017, 10:03 PM
You should have just left your phone number and told him to call once they had the total quantities and prices sorted out.

redneck1
08-24-2017, 10:25 PM
Are you sure they was lead ? .. every sinker I've bought in the last few years except split shot has been zinc .
To be fair I don't buy much fishing tackle

Geezer in NH
08-25-2017, 05:33 PM
Any lead sinkers they have , after the CEO Statements about Trump voters don't bother shopping in my stores. Let Him pay for Hazmat removal and disposal.

jonp
08-27-2017, 07:39 AM
Are you sure they was lead ? .. every sinker I've bought in the last few years except split shot has been zinc .
To be fair I don't buy much fishing tackle

Yes, they were lead. The store manager said that anything left after the sale was being bought by a liquidation company.

myg30
08-27-2017, 07:54 AM
I'm surprised too. I have not seen lead in the fishing section in a long time. I wanted to slug a bbl and didn't feel like casting up round balls just fer that but all were zinc. This was at Wally World.
I never thought to look at gander during the close out.
Hope your able to score but as Geezer said, let the fools pay hazmat fees.
Just my $.02

Mike

snowwolfe
08-28-2017, 09:32 AM
The 50% off in my area was of retail. With what was left you could buy most of it on buds for about the same price. By the time I made it nothing but youth rifles and a few pistols left. You didn't miss out on much if it was anything like my store.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Same here. If someone told you they were getting fantastic deals on firearms I would take it with a grain of salt. After factoring in no sales tax on orders from Buds, Buds was cheaper across the board on any sale GM was having. To many people see the signs saying "sale" and "liquidation" and automatically think they are getting a bargain.

jonp
08-28-2017, 04:40 PM
No, Gander is known for outrageous firearms prices and I think that is what helped sink them but a few weeks before I was in checking out the guns that were on sale. Prices with that sale compared to my smartphone checking gunbuyer, grab a gun etc were ok. With the 50% off not including any rebate and there were screaming deals. Where else you going to get a Benelli for $600?