PDA

View Full Version : Bug-A-Salt!

marlin39a
08-22-2017, 01:43 PM
Got a pair of these last month for my birthday. 1 for outdoor, 1 for indoor. You load them up with table salt, and shoot flys! I've been using mine for over a month, and it's still a thrill. Pump action. Shoot the fly and it dies. Highly recommended for sick fun!

dragon813gt
08-22-2017, 02:57 PM
Wish they were a lot cheaper. I don't mind paying for quality when it's called for. This is one of those things I can't bring myself to buy.

Buzz64
08-22-2017, 03:17 PM
Got mine for birthday last year. They are a hoot and mine has held up well - getting the flies in the air while waiting on the smoker keeps me occupied. Here, hold my beer and watch this!

Nueces
08-22-2017, 03:19 PM
After using other salt gun systems, I bought the first Bug-a-Salt several years ago, then bought three more, an extra for me and one for each daughter. Fun is right! I sorta miss having my youngest daughter home because her habit of leaving food around caused fruit fly infestations. Safari! For some reason, pushing the muzzle close to a sitting fly does not alarm the target.

The yaller one looks starkly gorgeous on the black granite counter top and tends to invite conversation in guests.

xs11jack
08-22-2017, 07:47 PM
Yea, 42 bucks is a bit much. Just had a thought(kinda rare) I have some of the speer indoor plastic .38 shells that propel a wax boolit with the primer. What about putting a bit of salt in one with a bit Kleenex and use that in my revolver to assassinate bugs?
Ole Jack

Baja_Traveler
08-22-2017, 10:25 PM
I bought a couple years ago when they were just trying to get started and had a funding campaign. I think I paid $30 for the pair. Lots of fun - the wife was always complaining of the salt dust in the kitchen from me hunting flies. My first one broke, and I have not opened the second yet...

Nueces
08-22-2017, 10:28 PM
My first one broke...

You attempt a butt stroke on a grasshopper or sumpin?

gtrpickr
08-22-2017, 11:41 PM
I have always wondered how well those work, kinda on the pricey side for me but looks like fun.

Traffer
08-23-2017, 12:17 AM
As soon as I figure out how to do it, I'm gonna make one from a cheap BB gun. I buy real guns for about double what these things cost.

JBinMN
08-23-2017, 09:38 AM
Buddy of mine has one in his shop. I have not shot it, but he & another feller just have a ball using it. They have stationary shots down, but are still working on moving targets. Even more fun watching them than shooting it, I think anyway..
;)

2ndAmendmentNut
08-23-2017, 10:01 AM
We have one at the office. Very satisfying results and the range is pretty impressive. We have knocked the little devils out of the air at about 6-8ft from the muzzle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sparky45
08-23-2017, 10:19 AM
Just ordered one off a *bay vendor for $39.90 and free shipping. Just coming into the fall time with lots of slower moving insects.

bedbugbilly
08-23-2017, 02:45 PM
I'm glad Trump is in office or otherwise, these would be either banned or they'd have to be registered - not to mention all the government restrictions that would go in to effect for "polluting the atmosphere" with table salt. If Gore hears about these, I'm sure it will get out that they contribute to "global warming"! LOL

Never saw one of these before - they look like fun!

DerekP Houston
08-23-2017, 03:01 PM
Lol I'd forgotten about these things! I had the 'bug-zapper' tennis racket looking thing and it was fun but shocked the dog with it one too many times ;). With Christmas right around the corner this looks like something my dad would get a kick out of and safe enough for little kids at the house.

Boaz
08-23-2017, 05:45 PM
My 45 year old son bought one about 2 weeks ago and been driving me nuts 'hunting' flys with it in the office . My desk has salt all over it , got to wipe where I use the mouse regular .

snowwolfe
08-23-2017, 06:14 PM
Yea, 42 bucks is a bit much. Just had a thought(kinda rare) I have some of the speer indoor plastic .38 shells that propel a wax boolit with the primer. What about putting a bit of salt in one with a bit Kleenex and use that in my revolver to assassinate bugs?
Ole Jack

Do you really want to shoot salt out of a revolver barrel?

xs11jack
08-23-2017, 09:08 PM
No, come to think of it I don't. Thanks for the heads up.
Ole Jack

tigweldit
08-23-2017, 10:02 PM
Maybe try tissue paper patching with primer loads ?

abunaitoo
08-23-2017, 11:39 PM
Way, way to expensive.
He must be selling a bunch because he has a commercial on TV now.
Those cost big bucks.
I'll wait until the cheap china version comes out.
I remember when he had the deal looking for funding.
I think it was two for $30, or something reasonable like that.
Friend of mines sent in for them.
Said they were OK. Nothing special.

DCP
08-25-2017, 04:16 PM
Got a pair of these. 1 for outdoor, 1 for indoor.
$77.90 shipped. From the manufacture.
Made in USA is much better.
https://bugasalt.com/products/2-0-garden-flybuy-combo-buddy-deal

Blackwater
08-25-2017, 06:11 PM
A friend of mine has one, and had a ball for a while shooting flies on his porch. Works on wasps too, at least pretty good. But do NOT try to take a big hornet with them! It only makes them MAD! VERY mad! A word to the wise? Remember your Ruark "Use Enough Gun!"

abunaitoo
08-31-2017, 10:06 PM
I was going to get a few for Christmas presents.
If I can find some for a reasonable price.
I think my friends kids would have a blast. Not so much the Mom.