PDA

View Full Version : Shipping Lead to California

pugjunga123
08-21-2017, 03:23 PM
I'm not sure if this question belongs here. I have not been able to find anything with regards to regulations that govern shipping lead specifically wheel weights into California from another state. This would be a couple of MFRB of used WW from a private seller.
Thanks again

JonB_in_Glencoe
08-21-2017, 03:56 PM
I would think some of the many fleabay sellers would have disclaimers in their ads stating they can't ship to CA, If, in fact there are laws/rules against doing so. Mostly they (and we) are shipping ingots. If you are asking about shipping lead wheelweights, as is, uncleaned and unmelted and uningotized...you may want to read this.

http://www.bendpak.com/Wheel-Weights/Many-States-Now-Banning-Lead-Wheel-Weights/

jsizemore
08-21-2017, 07:09 PM
http://www.bendpak.com/Wheel-Weights...Wheel-Weights/

Does this only apply if you put the weights on a car or truck? Don't see where it says possessing them is a crime.

JonB_in_Glencoe
08-21-2017, 08:05 PM
The OP said "seller". The link mentions selling.
But who knows how the State of CA would act if a FRB of that contraband were to bust open at a sorting center?

Plate plinker
08-21-2017, 08:11 PM
Sorting centers are federal property? What does California have to do with this.

nicholst55
08-21-2017, 08:15 PM
RotoMetals, a site sponsor (at the top of the page) even has a distribution center in CA, and lists no restrictions about shipping to/in CA. They even offer an 'over-the-counter' sales service at their San Francisco facility.

https://www.rotometals.com/shipping-faq-1/

MaryB
08-21-2017, 09:45 PM
It applies t installing WW on cars. Not shipping lead into the state. For all they know you are blending solder to use for art like stained glass!

sghart3578
08-21-2017, 09:54 PM
I have lead shipped to me here regularly from folks on this forum.

Funny story: I live in farm country north of Sacramento. The sprawl hasn't reached us yet and most of us are laid back country types.

I went to the local post office one time to buy a money order. I forgot my cash so I pulled out my ATM card and my driver's license for ID.

The clerk said "You don't need your ID Mr. Hart. Everybody here knows you. You're the guy that gets all those heavy boxes."

Suo Gan
08-21-2017, 10:42 PM
Ain't nothing wrong with it. Go for t.

runfiverun
08-21-2017, 11:41 PM
yep you can insert them in a berm at 1800 fps you just can't rotate them around a steel rim at 400 rpm.
sumthin about idiot birds following cars around waiting for parts to fall off so they can eat them.

Bookworm
08-22-2017, 05:53 PM
The clerk said "You don't need your ID Mr. Hart. Everybody here knows you. You're the guy that gets all those heavy boxes."

Now that's funny.

I've always said that your UPS driver, and your mail carrier, know far more about you than you might think.

MaryB
08-22-2017, 08:37 PM
My former fedex driver(now retired) was born in my house(former midwives house) and always wanted to talk about it.

jonp
08-22-2017, 08:45 PM
Cali or any state has nothing to do with what is shipped USPS. That is governed by the Feds and they do not play with this. Mess with the mail at your peril.

If the Feds say it can ship it can ship. Period

FISH4BUGS
08-23-2017, 02:12 PM
I went to the local post office one time to buy a money order. I forgot my cash so I pulled out my ATM card and my driver's license for ID.
Same here. Very small town in rural NH. The post office delivery is a contractor. She will drive up and have ME unload the boxes.
ID? We don't need no stinkin' ID.....