PDA

View Full Version : Months of reloading data worthless...

Idaho45guy
08-21-2017, 08:55 AM
Started reloading for my .45 Colt last Fall and then realized I needed DougGuy to do his magic on the cylinders before I spent any more time and energy developing loads for it. Put it on hold (still need to get his address and info and send it and a check away...)

Then I bought Glock G29 10mm for my new hiking/woods gun and immediately began reloading exclusively for it. Ordered a couple of different barrels and spent months working up different loads for the three different barrels and for my GSSF matches.

I had been using a Lee single stage press and a Lee powder measure, along with the Lee mechanical scale (was all part of a starter kit I bought).

I had achieved some degree of success and achieved some impressive groups. Still, most groups contained a bothersome flier that opened up things considerably.

At my last GSSF match, I was at the 5yd target and got the first few shots in a nice tiny circle, then a flier. Then the rest in a little group. After I finished, the RO said I should check my powder measure since what he saw indicated that my loads were not consistent.

So, while getting another batch of reloads ready for this weekend's match, I set the charge at 5.2 grains of 231, checked it with my electronic scale and my mechanical scale. I then weighed every single load with both electronic and mechanical scales.

What I discovered was disturbing; my powder charges varied from 4.8 to 5.7! And they were erratic; some would be perfect at 5.2 for up to four or five loads, then suddenly I got 4.8, then a 4.9, then a 5.2, then a 5.5, etc, etc...

I stopped any attempt at loading and further and went to bed. The next day, I went into town and was talking to my stepdad about what had happened and he said he had a powder measure I could have. It was an old RCBS Uniflow from the late 70's in mint condition, other than a fine layer of dust. I took it home, cleaned it up, and gave it a try.

It never varied more than half of a tenth of a grain across the ten or twelve loads I weighed. Perfect!

I then realized that the dozens of different loads I had tried the past few months were now virtually worthless since I have no idea just how accurate they were.

I feel dumb for not catching it earlier, but am glad I did.

lightman
08-21-2017, 09:03 AM
Well, you caught it and thats what counts. And now you have a quality dependable measure to use.

waksupi
08-21-2017, 09:32 AM
If you still end up with fliers, try a different lube.

OS OK
08-21-2017, 09:34 AM
I think you are jumping to conclusions about the work-ups you've done in the past...here's why.
They gave you nice tiny groups...they were consistent loads to do that.
They gave you fliers...those were the over and under loads of powder...they gave you the indications you would expect to see.
Your loading equipment may have added to your fliers too. Perhaps you didn't always get the same crimp that allows for the starting pressure to ignite uniformly and consistently.
Our craft becomes a metamorphosis over time of technique, equipment and components...the closer you observe and question the results the tighter those circles become...so long as you actually do something about it.

I wouldn't be discouraged in the least, rather, I'd be glad to discover this and move on to the next little glitch that you have control over and do something about that. Your newly acquired Uniflow was a giant step, (they have their quirks too with a few powders), anytime you suspect this type problem...sit down and throw 100 throws using consistent throw technique (double taps and the such, leaving the throw in the thrown position until you want the next load, ect.), record each weighed delivery and you then will know what that Uniflow is capable of doing with that exact powder.

c h a r l i e

FISH4BUGS
08-21-2017, 03:30 PM
I wouldn't say the data was worthless. You were just working up a a load and that was part of the process.

6bg6ga
08-21-2017, 03:45 PM
quote:
I had been using a Lee single stage press and a Lee powder measure, along with the Lee mechanical scale (was all part of a starter kit I bought).

This is exactly why I don't purchase Lee stuff.

Harter66
08-21-2017, 03:48 PM
You got a ton of trigger time .
You probably focused more on making everything the same on every trigger break .
You have a pretty good idea of where in the load window to look for the best loads .
While you don't know what the best of the best loads were you did gain from the experience . I can almost guarantee that your work up will be short this time around . You do have all of the notes to work from .

Good experience in checking your equipment .

OS OK
08-21-2017, 04:27 PM
quote:

This is exactly why I don't purchase Lee stuff.

Don't paint Lee with too wide a brush...a little bit of work on your part will give you a sizer that is 'exactly' what you want and need. Not a bad deal for such little effort and cash layout.

Lee does make stuff we can use...

chutesnreloads
08-21-2017, 05:25 PM
Certainly you were using the scales to weigh your loads and not the powder thrower for your load workups?How is it that the data from the load work is no good?

crowbuster
08-21-2017, 05:54 PM
You are fine. Just revisit the loads that showed promise, minus the flyers. I wuld give my left.......arm to have time to reload and do load development. You are doing just fine sir.

runfiverun
08-21-2017, 11:49 PM
I like post 3 and post 4.
think about it, the ones that come out right shot well so you do have valid data.
after you settle in again with consistent loads, and if you see the anomaly rear up on a consistent or semi-consistent basis, then reducing the oil content of the lube will correct the other issue.

Idaho45guy
08-22-2017, 02:57 AM
Most of my loads are with the Hornady XTP in 180gr flavor. This is for a 10mm and .40 S&W so there are limited choices for .400 and .401 boolits. I do have an RCBS mold for a 180gr boolit that has shown promise in the Glock. Those are lubed with Alox.

dragon813gt
08-22-2017, 06:01 AM
Most of my loads are with the Hornady XTP in 180gr flavor. This is for a 10mm and .40 S&W so there are limited choices for .400 and .401 boolits. I do have an RCBS mold for a 180gr boolit that has shown promise in the Glock. Those are lubed with Alox.

There are only limitations if you don't want to spend the money on a custom mold. Accurate, NOE and MP all have molds ranging from lightweights to heavyweights in every nose profile you could want. Lots of choices out there.

The issues w/ the Lee scale is its sensitivity and lack of weight. It's a very accurate scale. Surprisingly so for what it costs and what it's made out of. But it weighs nothing and is a complete pain to use.

Don't let what happened set you back. Keep at it and you will fine. I will give you one piece of advice. And it's because you're loading 10mm. At some point you will most likely want to try for maximum performance. That will lead you straight to 800-X. Don't even attend to use it in the uniflow. It meters like gravel. Charges need to be weighed individually. If you thought the variations w/ W231 were bad they were he even worse w/ 800-X.

GhostHawk
08-22-2017, 08:07 AM
Post #4 for sure. Nothing is wasted.

Trigger time is trigger time. Tight groups are tight groups.

Now go back and retry say the top 3 of those groups looking for near perfection.

I don't think you will be disappointed.