PDA

View Full Version : elementary question

coalgeo
08-02-2008, 04:27 PM
I am getting ready to melt my first load of WW's in a new Lee pot - dip variety not bottom pour. First job will be to make ingots. I assume that there will be a small amount of lead that I will not be able to scrape off the bottom of the pot. Will that lead be easy to pick out after it has cooled or will it stick to the bottom of the pot?
Greg

357maximum
08-02-2008, 04:38 PM
Look Up (search) "SMELT" "SMELTING"

You do not want to render wheelweights in the same pot you will be casting out of.....seriously..................that will give you huge (uneccessary) headaches.

dromia
08-02-2008, 04:42 PM
Its not a good idea to use your casting pot for smelting down wheel weights.

You want to keep your casting pot clean so mosy people smelt separate, I use a cast iron pot on a propane stove, smelt and clean the WW's in that and mix the required alloy if desired,then pour into ingots, nice and clean and to your specification ready for your casting pot.

The pots usually empty pretty well, but most people leave some alloy in the bottom to help the next melt, obviously if its a different alloy then you need it clean. I lift the pot and pour it out when there is an inch or so left.

coalgeo
08-02-2008, 04:54 PM
Will a Coleman type propane stove generate enough heat to smelt the wheel weights?
Thanks
Greg

mooman76
08-02-2008, 04:59 PM
Coleman stove will definately work. I did it for years. A kitchen stove, electric or gas will work too but I advise against that for smelting in the house but a few have them hooked up outside for just such a purpose.

Ghugly
08-02-2008, 05:02 PM
Will a Coleman type propane stove generate enough heat to smelt the wheel weights?
Thanks
Greg

Yep, easily, depending on the size of the pot and the quantity of the lead, of course.

rat44
08-02-2008, 05:04 PM
Down here in Texas we just put em outside and they smelt! 108 here right now! :???:

sundog
08-02-2008, 05:43 PM
Rat, I was going to put on a pot of range scrap today to render down while I went about my chores. I decided it was a little to 'leaky' when I went out, so I just did the chores then took a dip in the pool and then came in. 107 in the shade as we speak - and almost dead calm. We had thunderstorm 2 nights ago that left almost 3" in less than an hour - can you spell torrential rain shower? As I mentioned, it's a little bit 'leaky' here today.

Greg, the Coleman will work fine, but like Dromia mentioned, don't use your casting pot. If you get into larger amounts, consider a turkey cooker and some sort of cast iron or steel pot. Do not use an aluminium pot no matter how tempted you might be. An aluminium pot will give up the ghost on ya at a very inopportune time - safety hazard.

coalgeo
08-02-2008, 07:44 PM
Thanks for the information guys. I will break out the coleman stove. I have several old cast iron pots (each holds around 15 lbs. of Pb) that my Dad and I used to cast from when used over an old cast iron two burner gas stove (wish I still had that old rascal).