PDA

View Full Version : Boolit Hardness: WQ vs Harder Alloy?

centershot
08-20-2017, 11:32 AM
OK, I know that, metallurgically, there is a difference. Let's say you cast a bullet from a softer alloy and and it comes out at BHN = 9. Let's say you then WQ that alloy and it comes out at BHN = 15. Then, let's say that you go a step further and mix an alloy that comes out BHN = 15 when AC. The bottom line is, both boolits end up at BHN 15. If you then subject these boolits to a peak pressure that is appropriate for the hardness, do they act the same? Or is there a difference in their performance based solely on their metallurgical composition?

Case in point, I am working with a new-to-me Marlin 375 (375 Winchester). I am currently loading the Lee 375-255 PB cast out of 94-3-3 alloy over 10 grains of Unique. The load woks good, 2" groups @ 50 yards, average velocity is 1304 fps. These boolits are tumble-lubed and shot as cast. They mike .380", my bore (microgroove) slugs at .378". Everything is working good!

Now, I am fairly certain that I can get up to 1500 fps w/o a gascheck if the load is right. I have WQ some of these boolits, after 2 weeks they are REALLY hard!! I don't have a hardness tester so I don't know the BHN. So is a WQ boolit as capable as a boolit made from stronger alloy but AC? Should I just add some Lino to my stash of Lyman #2 and AC them? What are your thouhjts?

runfiverun
08-20-2017, 12:16 PM
I went down this road.
put a gas check on the base and water drop your softer alloy.
you can then get to 1900 fps without all the gyrations.

white eagle
08-20-2017, 12:19 PM
IF you are making the alloys out of different components yes they are going to be different
bhn of 15 reached by differing components react by their own design
water quenching them will more than likely result in differing hardness because of those components

Larry Gibson
08-20-2017, 12:26 PM
Your WQ'd 96/3/3 alloy bullets are probably very close to AC'd linotype in BHN measurement. I find my own 96/3/3 alloy runs 18 - 22+ BHN depending on size of the bullet and alloy temp when it hits the water. Your WQ'd PB'd bullets should hold up to 1500 fps w/o any problems with the right powder, perhaps higher.

reddog81
08-20-2017, 12:40 PM
I thought air cooled boolits will harden over time and that water quenched bullets will soften over time. Trying to get both to the same BNH will be like trying to hit a moving target. I could be wrong and would defer to folks more knowledgeable but that was my first thought.