PDA

View Full Version : Shipping firearms cost

DLCTEX
08-02-2008, 02:47 PM
What prices are you encountering? My son has been shopping for a FFL holder to ship 2 rifles and a pistol to me. The first shop wanted $65 + shipping per gun. The best he found, and is using, charged $40 including shipping. On my end, our gunshop owner is charging me $10 since I am a regular customer, he gets $20 otherwise. $160 total. The only consolation is that it's cheaper than going 1675 miles to pick them up, and I won't have to wait until Christmas to get them. Considering the hassles with the BATF, I don't begrudge them the lower prices. The first shop will not be getting any more of family business. That's eight local shooters business lost. DALE

uncle joe
08-02-2008, 03:07 PM
Dale
I don't know about person to person but when you buy a new gun here in MS I think it has to be shipped ups next day, to avoid it sitting at any one place very long. That probably has something to do with the high cost
JE

Razor
08-02-2008, 03:11 PM
My 01 dealer charges $16 to receive rifles, $25 for pistols..(more paperwork for pistols)

Razor

Firebird
08-02-2008, 03:24 PM
FFL's can ship using the Post Office, so they can get considerably cheaper rates, though slower shipping. They also have to enter the firearms onto their books, and do a check at the other end, so they have paperwork at both ends that takes time, and that time needs to be paid for.
It's not a law, but FedEx and UPS are forcing everyone to use next day air; I hear it's around $65 for a handgun now, probably more for a rifle as it's heavier and bigger. Since non-FFL holders can't use the Post Office for handguns (and I'm not sure about rifles), we're stuck with the high over-night rates charged by FedEx and UPS.

mooman76
08-02-2008, 03:48 PM
Make sure you check with the FFL holder first. It can get quite pricyey with hidden fees. I was at a gun dealer and overheard him bragging on how he screwed a guy over because the guy didn't "check with him first" and once he has the gu he can pretty much charge what he wants because no prearangements were made. I'm surprised he said something with me there but he probubly didn't think I was listening but he was going to soak the guy for something like $135-$150 from what I gathered. I don't care for this particular dealer but he has one of the biggest selections in town gun and reloading supplies wise and we don't have many here. His prices arent the best either but they aren't the worst as long as you know your prices.
I don't know if it still is but you used to be able to find the local gun FFL holders on line at Actionarms.com with prices they charge.

jim4065
08-02-2008, 03:52 PM
Used to pay $25, but found another local dealer charging $20 per gun, long or short. Runs a little more in L. Rock - maybe 'cause it's bigger? (50K compared to 250K)

DLCTEX
08-02-2008, 04:01 PM
If I interpet the rules correctly, handguns can only be sent FFL to FFl, period. Rifles and shotguns come under rules of GCA of 68 and can be shipped to gunsmith and back to customer or to manufacturer and back, with the record keeping falling on the licensed people. Individual to individual must go FFL to FFL with record keeping on both ends. Under those perameters all can go USPS . I think! Need a lawyer to interpet the rules. One of you lawyers want to chime in with a non-binding opinion? See post in this section (shipping ammo)for link to gov. postal regs DALE

oneokie
08-02-2008, 04:46 PM
Long guns can be shipped through USPS from individual to FFL holder. FFL's lic. number must be on package, USPS will check that number against their data base. Do not mark package that it contains a firearm.

Herb in Pa
08-02-2008, 05:02 PM
I ship longuns from my local PO via registered mail. I've never needed to put any FFL# on the package, and yes the PO knows that I'm shipping a firearm.

NVcurmudgeon
08-02-2008, 05:22 PM
I shipped a revolver to Colt for repair late last year. Already knowing that UPS carries pistols ONLY next day air, I checked with Fedex. Fedex is a little cheaper than UPS and had a two-day air service at an additional saving. I forget what I paid, but it was reasonable. Colt returned the revolver to me via Fedex. Caution: check your state and local laws, Nevada may be freer than your state or city.

Scrounger
08-02-2008, 05:31 PM
Almost correct! You can ship handguns to gunsmiths and manufacturers for repair and they can ship them back to you directly. You can ship long guns to an FFL or a C&R license holder if the gun qualifies as a C&R. Long guns can be shipped by mail or UPS; handguns from a non-licensed individual must be shipped UPS or Fed-EX Next Day Air. That is their rule, not an ATF rule. The Post Office, UPS, and most dealers do not know the rules but they have some variation on reality they will try to force on you. It is best to print out the correct rules from the various agencies and use them to convince whoever you're dealing with about what is right and wrong. There are six or seven small gun dealers in my town. I haven't talked to three or four of them because they're quite a ways from where I live. One dealer charges me #20 to ship a handgun. He just records the serial number in his books, puts his return address on the package and tells me to go down to the Post Office and mail it anyway I want. That is not quite Kosher so I never went back there. Another one just wants flat out too much money for it. Another dealer gives me a great price on incoming but won't ship out at all. So I just go ahead and pay UPS's outrageous Next Day Air rate and cry a lot. Long guns I use UPS or Priority Mail. UPS Ground is cheaper but Priority Mail is faster. UPS is much lower on insurance rates so it makes it just about a push on which service to use. My mail carrier checked with her boss about picking up guns and was told it's OK, so that's the way I usually go. I'm sure I could ship handguns that way and they'd never question it, but I don't. I have my own rules ant try to play everything straight. I sleep well at night.

Scrounger
08-02-2008, 05:43 PM
Long guns can be shipped through USPS from individual to FFL holder. FFL's lic. number must be on package, USPS will check that number against their data base. Do not mark package that it contains a firearm.

Must be a local thing. They don't require me to put an FFL number on the package.

Geraldo
08-04-2008, 03:39 PM
Last time I shipped pistols it cost me approx. $80 for UPS Next Day Air. I shipped a rifle using UPS ground and it was about $40. The shop I use for incoming transfers charges $35, which is cheaper than anyone else in the area. If they ship, they charge the transfer fee, but lower shipping, so it's cheaper for me to ship rifles, and a wash on shipping pistols.

Granted, most people in the shipping business don't know the law or their own shipping policies, but it's not much better with some FFL holders knowing ATF rules on receiving firearms.

DLCTEX
08-05-2008, 08:15 AM
Thought I posted this yesterday, but don't see it. My son called his local PO and asked about shipping firearms. The response was as if he had asked to ship a bomb! He decided to ship through the local guy and pay the $40 per gun rather than deal with them. DALE

dakotashooter2
08-05-2008, 12:24 PM
If I understand correctly your son could technically ship HIS guns to HIMSELF at your address without an FFL. Though technically he would have to be the one opening them on the other end.[smilie=1:

Scrounger
08-05-2008, 02:19 PM
I would have thought he would fight harder for his right. They were wrong, they needed being told that.

oneokie
08-05-2008, 03:01 PM
Must be a local thing. They don't require me to put an FFL number on the package.

It depends on the friendly, courteous person behing the counter at the P.O.. And how knowledgeable they are with the regulations in the DMM. (domestic mail manual)

Scrounger
08-05-2008, 03:31 PM
There is no regulation in the Postal manual that mandates an FFL number be written on the package. Not one Postal Employee in 10,000 would recognize an FFL number. Since in most cases you are required to ship to a dealer, I think it is reasonable for them to ask to see the copy of the FFL. But they don't even ask me that. She says, "Is this a gun", I say, "Yep", and off she goes.

mike in co
08-05-2008, 04:57 PM
If I understand correctly your son could technically ship HIS guns to HIMSELF at your address without an FFL. Though technically he would have to be the one opening them on the other end.[smilie=1:

this is correct and much cheaper...technically he would have to open them...so you may have to wait till christmas..but no more dealer involvement.

when a person goes on a hunt, it often happens that the guns are shipped ahead of time, he just ships to himself, in care of the lodge, friend..etc.

on the other side of the coin, he can ship to your ffl, he DOES NOT have to ship FROM an ffl.
this would cut your cost also.

mike in co

DLCTEX
08-05-2008, 05:20 PM
Scrounger: the reason he is willing to not fight it is that he would have to take off work to get to the PO while it is open and his position at work makes taking off having to be arranged well in advance, or a whole crew (sometimes several) would be idled while he is gone. He is willing to pay to not risk his job. In the building industry right now, if you have a good job you'd better take care of it. DALE

Scrounger
08-05-2008, 05:35 PM
Roger that. That is a good reason. Sometimes it is cheaper to just pay someone else to do it. I ship too many guns to let them get out of doing their job right.