PDA

View Full Version : custom mold for accurate, but my alloy is different

Oklahoma Rebel
08-17-2017, 11:23 AM
I designed and had my dad draw up a 9.3-285gr. boolit on auto-cad so tom will have all that info, but I use 3.5%SB-3.5%SN-.4-.5%CU-92.5%PB. I know copper grows, but I don't think it grows too much at the low levels I am using, in fact it could be .3%CU, I was going by weight when I alloyed it and haven't had it tested, but .4% is a very safe bet. what should I tell tom? I mean I was going to get it at .367+.002-0 so I will probably have to size it down anyways. how much would that amount of copper cause a boolit to grow anyways? thanks a lot-Travis

runfiverun
08-17-2017, 11:30 AM
your looking at under .001
the antimony will of course contribute too.

one thing you won't want to do is order a +.002 tolerance.
because you will get .002 bigger.
maybe not so critical on the body but the nose is where you need a +/- tolerance that is +001 more than your bore diameter.

popper
08-17-2017, 04:09 PM
In my limited experience it's not the Cu that causes the growth but SbCu molecules that are larger. Actually I don't have anything to measure any small growth, e.g. I don't see any. Like stated, watch the nose/ogive. I just spec. WW from Tom.

Oklahoma Rebel
08-17-2017, 05:09 PM
ok I will go with .001+-, but you are saying at the amount of cu and sb I have it shouldn't change more than .001? how soon would that happen if air cooled? water dropped? thanks a lot man, been doing the copper thing along side you, but not as much,lol keep up the informative threads!!!!-Travis