PDA

View Full Version : Handy-dandy , all purpose lube (in color yet!)l

sniper
08-01-2008, 07:59 PM
:mrgreen:

I just had a brainstorm...or cramp...depending how charitable you are feeling.

I'd like to mix up (you guys have REALLY gotten to me) a pan lube, fairly simple to make, based on the Speed Green formula, a'la Bullshop.

Bullshop recipe, add a large spoonfull of Carnauba or Johnson's and a crayon for color.

Would this work better than X-Lox, or Maybe just go with White Label?

docone31
08-01-2008, 09:06 PM
I donno about the crayon, but,
I make my lube. Ala Mathews with a twist. 55% beeswax, 45% Vaseline. I then throw in a tad of Marvel Mystery lube, A dash of carnuba oil.
I get great results with that. This includes rifle. I pushed my castings, for lead, minimum load for jacketed per Lee's printout with the dies.
Not too hard to lube, pan lube, not too slippery on the fingers, either loading, or handling.
Smells great when heating. If it is too loose, add beeswax, too stiff, add Vaseline. Also makes great leather conditioner.
I pan lube, so I have no knowlege of sizing other than the Lee push through dies.

Swamprat1052
08-01-2008, 09:33 PM
If color is what your after you can buy candle dye from the candle making suppliers on evil bay that will color it any color you want. Just mix it in with your beeswax.

Swamprat

Buckshot
08-01-2008, 11:40 PM
[QUOTE=sniper;373525]:mrgreen:

I just had a brainstorm...or cramp...depending how charitable you are feeling.

QUOTE]

..............Prolly just gas. Heck, go for the gusto man! Everyone has to try their hand at least once on a lube improvement mission. Besides that there is also the drama and possible adventure involved. I mean, how many people do YOU know who've burnt down their ktchen or actually exploded something in the microwave?

Regardless any possible excitement, one very important point to make. Do NOT, under ANY circumstances use any of the little woman's cooking implements thinking some hot water and detergent will take care of it. Fires and explosions us guys are wired to handle. You don't need any of that other action.

................Buckshot

dwtim
08-02-2008, 02:38 AM
Has anyone ever tried lipstick? Sharp colors and made mostly of the stuff that people put in their own lubes. Already has an emulsifier added. Also very commonplace.

EDIT: I mean: adding it to a wax base for color and some additional desirable properties.

bruce drake
08-02-2008, 04:01 AM
DWTIM,

I ain't asking why you've got lipstick anywhere near your lube!

Don't Ask, Don't Tell, Don't Pursue!

Not sure I want my lube to be colored Candy Apple Blush!

Bruce

copdills
08-02-2008, 05:08 AM
Please he didn't say the L word :coffee:

EMC45
08-02-2008, 05:42 AM
I threw one of my daughter's red crayons in my BW/Crisco lube and it turned it pink! It also separated some of the crayon's ingredients and I had to scrape all kinds of junk off the bottom of my lube pan.

sniper
08-02-2008, 09:47 AM
DWTIM, Not sure I want my lube to be colored Candy Apple Blush! Bruce

Hmmmmm.....the Wee Hen is a Mary Kay consultant, and she has LOTS of samples... :-D I sorta like Baby Pink, but Candy Apple Blush...Ooooh, yeah! orrrr....Pomegranate Passion!... [smilie=w: great minds, etc...It would probably smell nice, too. Emulsified and moisturized lube; What a concept!

Has any one thought about Speed Green with Wintergreen or Mint essence, or some Cinnamon? (Don't ever let a boolit caster start to scheme!)8-) Would that be grounds for permanent banning from the range, or the forums, do you think?

UH uh, not me; Bruce Started it!:mrgreen:

MT Gianni
08-02-2008, 10:51 AM
Hmmmmm.....
Has any one thought about Speed Green with Wintergreen or Mint essence, or some Cinnamon? (Don't ever let a boolit caster start to scheme!)8-) Would that be grounds for permanent banning from the range, or the forums, do you think?

UH uh, not me; Bruce Started it!:mrgreen:

I've got some SFE [synthetic fermented egg] and skunk scent from my trapping days if you really want to clear out a range. Gianni

montana_charlie
08-02-2008, 11:26 AM
I would feel real embarrassed if I was shooting on a public range, and my ammo (instead of bullet holes) left 'kisses' on my target. And...how do you score those things, anyway?

I figger a guy should just continue to use Chap-Stik for everything...waterproofing matches, squeaky pickup doors, boot dressing, sticky zippers on tents, and (of course) chapped lips.
I guess you can now add bullet lube ingredient to it's many fine qualities.
CM

leftiye
08-02-2008, 01:16 PM
Gianni, With the synthethic fermented egg scent they'd just think that you had farted. (100 shots = farted BIGTIME!)

dwtim
08-02-2008, 03:31 PM
*LOL*

You guys.

No, I don't have any laying around, I just so happens I recently stumbled on a website that tested and listed the ingredients of lipstick--while I was doing a little research on emulsifiers. It's mostly castor oil and beeswax, respectively. The rest is dye, perfume and other stuff--probably 20-25 percent. I could do without the "other stuff", and I figured cheaper brands--like those used for costume make-up--would have less of the exotic chemicals but still have a lot of color.

The fragrance I could do without, but my current soft lube with Alox is pretty stinky. I'd describe the scent as transmission fluid and bearing grease set on fire.

twotrees
08-02-2008, 08:10 PM
The best cure for chapped lips ain't Chapstick, it's Chicken SH*t.

A farmer was tired of seeing his son lick his lips to the point they bled. So he calls the son over and dips his finger into a fresh chicken plop. He wipes it all over his son's lips. After the kid got done spitting and gaging he asks his father "Will that cure my lips?" "Nope" said his Pop "but you sure wouldn't lick them again !!!"

But I ain't puttin' that in my boolit lube either !!!!

runfiverun
08-02-2008, 09:50 PM
b-wax a bit of alox some jpw and a scented soy candle will make you wish the wind
was blowing the other way.
but some flavors are pretty nice, vanilla,angel food cake, are the best scents.
some just smell like mint melon and butt crack. so you gotta be careful here.
lucas oil additive is a pretty good additive also. [ it mixes with castor,mineral and other oils well and is slickery]

Bret4207
08-03-2008, 08:09 AM
Add some banana oil, it'll maybe smell like Hoppes #9. I swear, that stuff could be perfume it smells SO good!!!

uncle joe
08-03-2008, 09:15 AM
Well. my wife used to sell Mary Kay also, and I ain't touching any of her stuff.
"REDHEAD"
but I did make my first ever batch of FWFL (Felix world famous lube) yesterday and used tastless castor oil. this stuff smells pretty good on it's own. When you add the soap you get a good clean scent. Added a blue and purple color so I could tell it from other lubes, came out nice and dark blue.