PDA

View Full Version : Multi-use boolit

halodub
08-15-2017, 01:08 AM
So I recently got a Winchester XPR in .270Win from Gander with a Vortex Crossfire II, as well as a set of Lyman .270Win dies (for only fifteen dollars!), for a stupidly good price to be my deer gun for this year. My original plan was to build a 6.8SPC upper for an AR platform that would double as a competition gun, but now I can make that gun exclusively a competition gun and have this for my hunting rifle for the time being. With both 6.8SPC and .270Win using the same diameter boolit, I am trying to consolidate down to one mold that will work for both my needs.

Competition: my goal in using the 6.8SPC is to have a rifle that isn't .308 but can still make major PF. For this reason, I am looking towards a heavier boolit that has a short OAL, but will still load at magazine length with a powder like AA2200.

Hunting: I am looking for something that will be effective at taking deer with minimal need for followup shots, as well as be able to cut through winds and such with not much drift.

For these purposes, I have been eyeing the NOE 279-160-FN GC mold, as it appears to be the best for both worlds. I just figured I would turn to the experts here on CBF to see what you all thought of my conclusion, as well as see if you had any additional recommendations or load recommendations for either caliber. I may also bypass the gas check and do powder coating, or go with both if it would create a better performing/less leading boolit. These will be cast mostly from COWW, but I may be able to get some "purer" lead, as well as some tin to harden it up if need be.

Thanks in advance for your input, and I apologize if this is in the wrong subforum!

popper
08-15-2017, 10:34 AM
These will be cast mostly from COWW, but I may be able to get some "purer" lead, as well as some tin to harden it up if need be. Probably need something harder, not softer. 270 vs 308 is IMHO going the wrong direction for cast, just like 243.