PDA

View Full Version : wheel weights...

jimb16
08-12-2017, 09:01 PM
Picked up 2 5 gal. buckets of wheel weights the other day. Finally got around to sorting them today. Ended up with around 4 gal. of lead cowws, 3.5 gal of steel weights, a 3# can of zinc weights and the rest was junk like plastic weights and trash. All things considered,$10 for a 4 gal bucket of usable cowws isn't all that bad. Now I need to go to the recyclers and see what I can get for the zinc and steel. Might recoup at least part of the cost.

redneck1
08-12-2017, 09:58 PM
You did much better then I did the last time I picked wheel weights up , at least 75 % was something other then lead .

I've switched to shot , I've had pretty good luck with one of the local clubs and just sweeping it up off the bare patches when the ground is dry .
Last time it took about 30 minutes to get about 150 lbs .

Not that I'd turn my nose up at some free weights , but it's not worth the effort as long as I can get free shot when I need it .

Well , maybe not free . I did spend about 4 hours with the weed eater on the rifle range before hand

silverback13
08-12-2017, 10:49 PM
I am assuming by shot you are referring to shotgun rounds. I think I read here that people were remarking it was not worth reloading with.
I have a bunch of shot that I have removed from bulk walmart packs via shell prepper (mountain storm ) to make cheap slugs with. How has the shot performed for you? Have you added anything g tp it before making boolits?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

redneck1
08-13-2017, 12:05 AM
I honestly can't tell any differance between the reclaimed shot and wheel weights as far as how it performs .
I do not have a hardness tester but I think it might be just slightly harder , if it is its not by very much .

As far as casting goes , bullet weights and sizes are a near spot on match with wheel weights .

I do add a few inches of solder to a full 20lb pot to help get good fill out , but I did the same with the wheel weight .
I've become son used to adding the solder that I haven't tried casting without it ... habits

And the reclaimed shot is a lot easier to smelt into ingots, no clips to deal with and no sorting involved .
It does take quite a bit more heat though , the shot with a heavy coat of graphite and the oxidized shot won't melt at the lower temps wheel weight will .
It's a non issue for me because there is no worry about accidently getting zinc in the mix .

silverback13
08-13-2017, 01:45 AM
Good to hear . I want to use shot to make 7/8 lee slugs and some 124 grain 9mm. Can't wait.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

lightman
08-13-2017, 11:41 AM
At $10, you came out ok. Wheelweight yield seems to be a regional thing. Thankfully, the lead yield is still holding up well around here. Steel seems to be replacing Zinc, which I see as a good thing.

jimb16
08-14-2017, 10:33 PM
Ended up with 102# in ingots along with around another 20# of stick-ons not yet put into ingots. Works out to less than 10 cents/pound. I'm not complaining!

crandall crank
10-04-2017, 07:49 AM
I guess I am extremely lucky. I just stop in and pick up a couple of buckets of COWW whenever I think of it. Don't have to pay anything (other than the occasional set of tires). Best part, no charge or cost for the lead.

ioon44
10-04-2017, 08:38 AM
Free COWW that is my favorite kind.