PDA

View Full Version : Thanks & how 'bout some more help

Whitespider
08-01-2008, 08:26 AM
Thank You!
Y’all are responsible for my lead-based habit, without all the encouragement and support I received just over a year ago I’d have never “jumped in”. I’ve learned to scavenge wheel weights like a pro, never pay for them and have almost ½-a-ton laid back in reserve. Although I’ll admit that my 22-years working in automotive repair & maintenance left me with “lead contacts” I can exploit. I’ve collected a fair amount of tin and even some linotype should I ever need something that hard.

Pouring of my own boolits has come natural for me, for the most part mine look great and weight consistency is excellent. My equipment is minimal, some cast iron cookware, an old electric stove, couple of ladles, a few Lee sizing dies and some home-made “cookie-cutters” for pan lubing. And at this time, I’m perfectly happy with my equipment. My mold collection is getting close to an even dozen and I’ve learned the little things each one requires to be “happy”. Although I have a couple of rifle boolit molds, 95% of my castin’ is done to feed revolvers.

Where I’m having problems is collecting “soft” lead, I just can’t seem to find enough. I prefer my revolver loads between 1000-1100 fps and I’ve learned that WW metal is just too hard, diluting them with 25-50% “soft” lead is just about perfect.

Has anyone had any luck making WW metal softer? Say by scooping off the slush as they melt? Or burning out the antimony (is that possible)? Or can y’all maybe give me some hints to where I should find “soft” scrap lead?

JScott
08-01-2008, 08:35 AM
Do you have a public range nearby? Get there early before everyone else and walk the target berm for slugs and jacketed bullets. Both are pretty soft and water dropped work well for me in low velocity handgun loads (~850 fps). Mixed with some of your wheelweights they should work fine for your application. Only good thing about Iowa being primarily a slug gun state is the amount of lead laying around at the range.

Wayne Smith
08-01-2008, 10:11 AM
To answer your question, you will not un-alloy the mix. You have the contacts for ww, now you need to develop the contacts for soft lead. Plumbers, pipefitters, roofers, and hospitals all have access to and need to dispose of soft lead.

cbrick
08-01-2008, 11:24 AM
Well Whitespider, You have your soft lead already.

You said you have collected 1,000 pounds of WW, please don't tell me you turned ALL of it into ingots blended together.

If you seperate the clip-on weights from the stick-on weights before melting and pouring ingots you have exactly what your looking for. The stick-on weights, the ones with foam tape on the back are very nearly pure lead and run about 6 BHN. The clip-on weights + a little tin will average about 11 BHN without the stick-ons included. If you did blend them all together depending on the quantity of stick-on weights (cause this varies from batch to batch) you should be in the area of 8-10 BHN. This should be fine for the low velocity revolver loads you mentioned.

Rick

John Boy
08-01-2008, 09:30 PM
Rick, strip ons are:

Composition: 0.377% Sb, 1.45% Sn, 0.029% As, 98.144 Pb
Yep, about as close to pure as they get without the tin

Buckshot
08-01-2008, 11:45 PM
To answer your question, you will not un-alloy the mix. You have the contacts for ww, now you need to develop the contacts for soft lead. Plumbers, pipefitters, roofers, and hospitals all have access to and need to dispose of soft lead.

...............If you're lucky enough to get any old plumbing lead pipe, cut the joint's out amd melt them seperate. They're very high in tin content from the solder used.

................Buckshot

Whitespider
08-02-2008, 07:40 AM
Oh yeah, I’ve smelted and poured all my WWs into ingots. The ½-a-ton is poured into 10-lb bricks and stashed away in case of hard times, I actually have quite a bit more than. But I have separated the stick-on type from the clip-on, it just ain’t enough, I only get about 2-lbs stick-on to the 100-lbs of clip-on. Guess I’ll just haft’a keep turnin’ over rocks until I find a reliable supply of soft lead.