PDA

View Full Version : Drilling HP with the NOE Universal sizer

KVO
08-09-2017, 10:22 PM
Here's the test sample from hollow pointing with the NOE universal sizer die. I ran a dummy feeding round into a nose sizing insert to center the projectile. The nose sizer holds enough tension on the round to cut the round by hand. Note the Diet Dr. Pepper aluminum can shim holding the cutter in the handle. Said handle is intended to hold a top punch to push out bullets from the top after they are nose sized. Blue round is a 7mm-08 NOE 150 "Hunter", took a quick zip with a pocket knife to deburr the rim of the HP. Naked lead is a 311299, the "point" was just to prove the concept, and see if it would keep the cutter centered on a rounded nose. The powder coated projectile had been previously nose sized with the same bushing and still had enough tension to not spin while cutting. This was pretty tedious using a essentially a non-center cutting countersink, and would be better to pilot with an appropriate size drill first. Again, just proof of concept. HP should be pretty well perfectly centered, no "eyeballing." I wouldn't want to do a huge batch, but it would work well enough to cut a handful of boolits. The same could be accomplished by pushing a boolit flush with the base of a body sizing die, cut the nose, and push all the way through. I'd also add a stop collar to the cutter handle shaft for uniform depth. Note that I spent quite a bit of TLC polishing and radiusing the inside of the NOE nose sizer bushings, as all of them would scrape lead and/or PC off my boolits as used straight out of the box. 201577201578201579201580201581201582