PDA

View Full Version : For the Dog lovers

DCP
08-09-2017, 08:41 AM
For the Dog lovers

XDROB
08-09-2017, 09:08 AM
I have just started my new journey with my first dog.
He is a Belgian Melinous
Almost three months old.
My wife and I are having s great time with him. Except the 3am outings to pee and the occasional mistake In the bouse.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170809/fca995b38d67d1bc9146759d4ba785c2.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170809/5cf6f31c12f871bb7ea0287d0a9845d7.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

xs11jack
08-09-2017, 07:39 PM
Wow, what a gorgeous dog!
Ole Jack

smokeywolf
08-09-2017, 07:52 PM
Smokey, our big black wolf was about 1/4 Belgian Tervuren. Be sure and stay one step ahead of him, because both the Malinois and Tervurens are ridiculously smart. Both are great dogs.

Finster101
08-09-2017, 08:15 PM
Belgians are very smart. You need to get him socialized with other dogs and people as soon as you can. I have had 3 of them. We lost Jewel's sister 2 months ago at 11 yrs old. Can't even think about getting another dog as long as we have Jewel because she will not tolerate another dog and never has from day 1. When Jewel is gone I will get another Belgian but hopefully not soon. I love them.

XDROB
08-09-2017, 08:52 PM
Wow, what a gorgeous dog!
Ole JackThank you.

GhostHawk
08-09-2017, 09:08 PM
Well said OP.

I have a little lab named blue waiting for me at the rainbow bridge.
And this little fellow is my constant companion.

He is half Chihuahua and I think half Pom, he is a craigs list rescue. Young couple had a new baby and this pup and simply had no clue how to deal with him.

He has a few quirks, and the "salsa" is strong in him. But he is a good dog as long as he gets enough "run" time. It is when I get lazy about getting him out that we get problems cropping up. Little rascal knows his own mind and what he wants.

Still I can't complain. He is always either touching me or within reach. 201558

Ithaca Gunner
08-10-2017, 11:00 AM
XDROB, I do like those ears too!

XDROB
08-10-2017, 03:01 PM
XDROB, I do like those ears too!Radar Ears.
When he was about 12 weeks old they would touch each other when he was really concentrating on something. So cute.

XDROB
08-10-2017, 03:04 PM
So I had him secured to a ketchen chair so I could go do something quick. Got up , didn't know how to get down. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170810/78653535eab5831b40b3f268f141078e.jpg

Rich22
08-11-2017, 12:40 AM
A Belgian Mal for your first dog??? Wow. Kind of like getting a full auto BAR for your first gun. Really great looking puppy though. Good luck

XDROB
08-12-2017, 09:11 PM
A Belgian Mal for your first dog??? Wow. Kind of like getting a full auto BAR for your first gun. Really great looking puppy though. Good luckHaha, Ya, My wife and I talked with the breeder quite a bit before we pulled the trigger. We got the calmest of the 9 brothers and sisters. We visited 3 times. The last two our puppy (Logan) came right up to us and wanted to play. Third and last before we picked him up he came over and I got right on the ground with him, he rolled over on his back and wanted his belly rubbed. The breeder said we just got picked. And that he was very happy because he was the calmest of them all and was the one he would have picked for us.
We are having a great time with him

Also the nickname "MALINGATOR " fits like a glove. He chews eveything.[emoji16]

Rich22
08-12-2017, 11:11 PM
My golden ret/ridgeback girl was like that for a bit. Wait until you come home to shoe parts spread across the living room.

XDROB
08-13-2017, 10:13 AM
My golden ret/ridgeback girl was like that for a bit. Wait until you come home to shoe parts spread across the living room.Yup, We had a three tier wire shoe rack near back door when we first brought him home at 9 weeks. Shoes on floor got removed immediately. Two weeks later first row got removed. One more week and whole rack got moved to bedroom. Wife thought that shoes we wanted near door to bring him out should go in corner cabinet near door. He watched her do it and then went over to the door and opened it and got his shoe. Cabinet is now empty. 🤣🤣

Finster101
08-13-2017, 06:43 PM
I hope you were told about a couple of Belgian traits. He will eventually start snapping or popping his teeth at you when he wants attention. It's not an aggressive behavior in Mals but some folks have a hard time with it. He may want to "mouth" you at times. I E hold your arm or hand in his mouth, again this is a breed trait and may pop up. Two of my three have done this and they all pop their teeth when they want some scritchen'.

DCP
08-13-2017, 07:08 PM
I hope you were told about a couple of Belgian traits. He will eventually start snapping or popping his teeth at you when he wants attention. It's not an aggressive behavior in Mals but some folks have a hard time with it. He may want to "mouth" you at times. I E hold your arm or hand in his mouth, again this is a breed trait and may pop up. Two of my three have done this and they all pop their teeth when they want some scritchen'.

They make excellent Police dogs for a reason. They need to be trained properly. That is one beautiful dog!

Good reading
http://www.petwave.com/Dogs/Breeds/Belgian-Malinois/Personality.aspx

XDROB
08-13-2017, 08:15 PM
He has not exhibited the teeth popping yet, But the mouthing most definitely. Not hard biting, just puting my arm or hand in his mouth. We have a very physical fetch and return game we play. I take a soft toy he likes and say ready,ready, Go. Throw it into the next room. He takes off like he just got shot out of a cannon. He brings it back growling and shaking his head as I grap it.. And we start over. I try to fake him out, by fake throwing. He might flinch Once but it not twice. Just stands there with his eye on the prize. I hit the floor for him to bring it back, which he does until he's tired of the game Just leaves the toy in the other room. So I just pick another, and start again.

XDROB
08-13-2017, 08:30 PM
They make excellent Police dogs for a reason. They need to be trained properly. That is one beautiful dog!

Good reading
http://www.petwave.com/Dogs/Breeds/Belgian-Malinois/Personality.aspxThanks, we are very happy we got him. I have had some serious talks with the breeder. And I trust the statement that he would not have sold us a dog if he thought we could not handle him. Told me he has turned down more people, because this starts a 10 year plus relationship and he wants it to be enjoyable on all sides. The dog, us , and him. [emoji16]

I did a lot of research on breeders and this guy has done and said all the right things I have read and heard an excellent breeder should do and say.

Finster101
08-13-2017, 09:03 PM
Not at all questioning your choice but we have had at least one Mal in the house for the past 25 years, all females and a couple of them were a bit bitchy when it came to other dogs. I would like to get a male next time but not until Jewel goes. She is not dog friendly. Vet visits have to be carefully planned but she is fine with people. I'm being snapped at as I type this. My wife and I do still miss her sister Gem who we lost about two months ago.

Blackwater
08-13-2017, 09:15 PM
Great post, DCP. I understand it better than I wish I did! Thanks.

robg
08-16-2017, 03:16 PM
Great looking dog .he'll keep you on your toes.

CASTER OF LEAD
08-16-2017, 03:29 PM
This is just one of my 3 current pooches. He's 6 years old in October and he's daddy's spoiled baby. He weighs 67 lbs. And goes EVERYWHERE with me.

CASTER OF LEAD
08-16-2017, 04:05 PM
This is my other Bassett hound. 3 years old 53 lbs. Of rowdy puppy, but he's such a cuddler. Both Bassetts are in competition for dad's attention most of the time. :)

CASTER OF LEAD
08-16-2017, 04:11 PM
Then there is the"House BOSS" 9Yr. Old Shih Tzu. He runs things. The other two "think" they do ,but this lil guys just let's them think that.

XDROB
03-22-2021, 12:43 PM
This is Logan. I had to return him to the breeder. Health issues (mine). Could not take care of him as his breed needed.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210322/3a3a6609368686cb1d12d34a12aa7b12.jpg

cwlongshot
03-22-2021, 01:01 PM
THANK YOU FOR THAT.

Ihad to put my "little girl" down last November and its still as "raw" a subject as if it was last week.

Just this AM going thru a old phone I was useless as I found a bunch of ol photos of her...

rondog
06-16-2021, 07:10 AM
After we lost both our Beagle girls, I was miserable without a Beagle. Stumbled across a local breeder who was retiring her oldest stud, and I basically got him for free. My boy Snoopy, sweetest dog I've ever met. 8y.o. and healthy as can be. He lived with those folks his whole life, but bonded with me like I was a long-lost friend.

richhodg66
06-16-2021, 07:12 AM
We're mainly cat people but have had at least one dog most of the time. We have my sons dog here all the time now. I don't plan on getting another until fully retired so I can be around all the time. We've always loved Bassetts and have had three over the years, but next one will most likely be a mutt from a rescue.

Pic of the last one we had, Toto. Had to put him down about three years ago after almost 15 years with us and he was an adult when we got him, the little guys seem to live a lot longer.

frkelly74
06-16-2021, 07:29 AM

Here's Rocky

Landy88
06-16-2021, 12:55 PM
The late, great, and very missed big Jake:

A real individual - more of a partner in adventure than a dog that I owned!

FarNorth45
06-17-2021, 12:09 AM
Yeah a few months ago my buddy Zeus took a piece of our hearts ....... but i have started a new Journey with my new hunting buddy Apache , and he's growing fast !!284635284636284637284638 he is now 14 weeks and he is going to be a big boy !!!

Mr_Sheesh
06-17-2021, 01:57 AM
Can't get at my pics of Zeuss sadly, I really love a number of breeds of dogs - Zeuss was a Leonberger mix.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leonberger

Big smart 130# beast of a love dog, once I move if I find one, it just might lead me home.

Smart dogs do love to run the pack from the bottom, of course. Zeuss didn't have a mean bone in him, just a sense of humor, and as I love teasing my critters, I can take being teased back :)

rondog
06-17-2021, 03:19 AM
I can love most dogs, if they're friendly. But we have a new neighbor that has a shrieking, screaming, psycho of a little dustmop dog that freaks out at EVERYTHING it sees, hears, smells or imagines. Damned thing has a really high-pitched and loud voice, and barks constantly. All over their backyard and out of every window it can reach. Really ruins our peace and quiet. Makes me wish a coyote would jump over the fence.....

Mr_Sheesh
06-17-2021, 06:54 AM
Bleah, a killer yap. Pass. Part of why I like Leos, when you "release the hounds!", they ... amble ... through ... the ... yard... You can start to feel yourself relaxing, just watching them! I am OK with any dog, large or small, that's mellow and friendly, just neat :) Leos're not quite relaxed enough that I feel like I'll stroke out, or fall into a coma, but I love that mellow furkid thing :) IMO more large dogs are mellow more of the time as they aren't threatened by everything on the planet...

Neighbor had a small poodle that was mellow, she was great, until she got a bit old & forgetful and started falling into the canal regularly, I usually got elected to retrieve her and she'd tend to fall back in as I climbed out. 3-4 times of that in a row, is less fun than the first. Pro tip, get an extra rope and clip dog's collar onto a rope and keep it from falling in again LOL

On youtube there is a channel, "What about Bunny", lady is training her labradoodle to use buttons with recorded voice clips of words on it, amazing how smart our furry kids are. Lots of others participating in that experiment. And cats in another part of it, Billi being one of them. Bunny seems a very happy dog, human talks and they tail wag :) Bunny is learning time of day stuff lately (afternoon, evening, night, morning, soon, later, and so on.) Has buttons for her play buddies' names :)

And a dog rescue in the UK trained rescue dogs to drive adapted cars on a racetrack, they did very well I'm told. Some humans need to do better :)

Ithaca Gunner
06-17-2021, 09:02 AM
My team-mate, the wife says he owns me. When we went to see the litter, this guy ran right up to me and chose me. I couldn't refuse, and I'm proud to be his human. We brought him home, I did an oil change on the truck and he sat there watching the entire process, didn't move. Very little training, he never had an ''accident'' in the house, doesn't wander off when he's outside, and comes by things easier than most children. He's a Border Collie and smarter than a lot of people.

Catshooter
06-19-2021, 03:02 AM
Dogs (and bacon) are proof that God loves us.

Cat

rondog
06-19-2021, 03:21 AM
What gets me is how some dogs can be trained to detect health problems in humans. Like blood sugar levels, cancers, blood pressure, etc. How can they DO that?

But, that said - I have a big toe that I had worked on for an ingrown nail, and our grandson's dog still comes right up to that toe, sniffs and licks it. After several months too.

Mr_Sheesh
06-19-2021, 07:06 AM
They have one heck of a sense of smell...

And I can't prove it but it seems to me that they (Cats and dogs) are so empathic that they feel how we are feeling.

I've had a few surgeries and as soon as I got near the critters they would check out my new pain, trying to lick it or put their head on it etc. (dog) or lick it or snuggle or stand on it (cat). A fresh incision can be too sore to let a 9# cat stand on it, though. Or a dog's head rest on it.

They know where we are sore somehow, for certain.

The world is a better place with them around :)

RKJ
06-19-2021, 12:20 PM
We've got a houseful of dogs as my wife and DIL can't say no to a puppy. In the past 2 months, the DIL brought home a Scott terrier and a Pomeranian/Chihuahua mix. Their a lot of fun but aggravating too. Then on Friday, my son finds he has to move and he can't find anyone local that allows pets. So we now have Zoe, a 40 lb plus Beagle. She's a very well behaved dog and has room (and other mutts) to play with. Oh well. :)

Cast_outlaw
06-19-2021, 01:17 PM
I have just started my new journey with my first dog.
He is a Belgian Melinous
Almost three months old.
My wife and I are having s great time with him. Except the 3am outings to pee and the occasional mistake In the bouse.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170809/fca995b38d67d1bc9146759d4ba785c2.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170809/5cf6f31c12f871bb7ea0287d0a9845d7.jpg

Very beautiful dog makes me miss my half Belgian half German he was such a good dog
At 9 weeks old

Scrounge
06-19-2021, 01:23 PM
My golden ret/ridgeback girl was like that for a bit. Wait until you come home to shoe parts spread across the living room.

Shoe parts? Try $300 worth of Tony Llama western boots. My buddy is a "purebred Border Collie" who is twice the size size of a mature male BC. He's got the body and brain of the Greater Pyrenees that is apparently his other parent. Got him to be a service dog for SWMBO, but he was just about untrainable. GP, not BC. He is, however, a sweetie whose voice drops a couple of octaves when he hears someone at the door. Sounds like 800lbs of Hellhound then. Really only about 90lbs. After about age 3 he quit chewing on everything, so there is some hope. Maybe not much, but some. ;)

If there is no Rainbow Bridge, I'm not going. It won't be Heaven without my dogs and cats, and even the stinking little rat. And my favorite prayer is "Dear God, please help me grow up to be the person my dog thinks I am. "

Landy88
06-19-2021, 02:09 PM
After about age 3 he quit chewing on everything, so there is some hope. Maybe not much, but some. ;)

If there is no Rainbow Bridge, I'm not going. It won't be Heaven without my dogs and cats, and even the stinking little rat. And my favorite prayer is "Dear God, please help me grow up to be the person my dog thinks I am. "

When I was a kid, I had a purportedly pure dingo, named Dingo - repeat I was a little kid when I named him. I suspect, that he had more than a bit of beaver dna - he shredded trim and molding off the inside and outside of my parents' house. Only, that my Dad loved that dog at least as much as did I saved the rare beaver / dog hybrid from serious repercussions.

El Greco
06-19-2021, 02:30 PM
My wife wanted her first dog. She promised that she would take care of him even get up at the 3am pee session. He ended up sleeping next to our bed in his crate. She has not got up yet at 3 am to take him out. Fortunately he sleeps all night until precisely at 6:48 every morning. I don’t get it. The exact same time every day? She complains that he “bites” her. He does not bite me because I kick like pasture mule. I told her that he bites her because she is soft and smells nice. I smell like dog and I kick like mule. He is glued to me at all times. Fortunately I’m retired and I spend a lot of time with him. As for the kicking, it’s only love taps.

Texas by God
06-19-2021, 03:30 PM
Floyd and Pepper have half a brain between them, which makes them pair with me quite well[emoji16]
We took a two mile walk in 95 degree weather on this day and they jumped in the pond as soon as they figured out that we were staying in the shade for a bit.
I love dogs.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210619/81a3931649fed6e005903eb32435a3a8.jpg

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Scrounge
06-19-2021, 03:42 PM
Floyd and Pepper have half a brain between them, which makes them pair with me quite well[emoji16]
We took a two mile walk in 95 degree weather on this day and they jumped in the pond as soon as they figured out that we were staying in the shade for a bit.
I love dogs.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210619/81a3931649fed6e005903eb32435a3a8.jpg

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

The thing about dogs that gets to me is that even when we don't deserve it, they love us.

usedtobeyoung
06-20-2021, 09:18 AM
I have a 130 pound pit bull. She has a pink collar because if anyone messes with me I want them to know a female ripped their face off. Now, she's as sweet as can be 99.9% of the time. Spoiled rotten really, but any threat towards me, she goes in protect mode. She has no interest in other dogs, but is entirely tolerant and never has been aggressive or mean to other animals. She is the perfect dog and how I was so lucky to have her in my life sometimes makes me just marvel.