PDA

View Full Version : Was pulling out of the parking spot and glanced to my right..............

WILCO
08-08-2017, 11:37 PM
There to greet my eyes was the softest looking black lab!
His window was cracked and my windows were up, with the A/C blowing snow flakes.
Swear to God it was if that dog heard every word I said to him and seemed to acknowledge me with those beautiful eyes. Sure wish I could've hugged him.
Made my day just to see him in the cab of a truck.

Moleman-
08-09-2017, 09:31 AM
Love those labs. We've got a black male at the moment, had a yellow before that. Later today the brother inlaw is bringing over a female black lab puppy that we hope we'll eventually get some puppies from in a few years.

Taylor
08-09-2017, 10:00 AM
I have come to love retrievers as well.But Flat Coats and Goldens are my favorite.
Hondo201502
201503Sammie-man(RIP)

osteodoc08
08-09-2017, 10:26 AM
People that have never known and had the pleasure to have such a treasure in their life will never understand the bond between dog and man. Makes me miss Scout my black lab.

William Yanda
08-09-2017, 10:31 AM
Sitting on the porch this am the wife and I saw a chocolate lab ride by, head out the window, ears in the breeze, just enjoying the ride. Reminded us to call the foreman from my last job. He and his son got littermates last week-black labs. Good report of the new playground dog.

JonB_in_Glencoe
08-09-2017, 10:40 AM
My parents had a couple different Labs when I was growing up. One Black Lab, "Lady", loved to fetch, especially into the Lake (I was blessed to growup living at a Lake home). Throw a ball into the Lake, Lady would run FULL Blast down the Dock, and Jump in, and really JUMP, like she was trying to reach the other side of the Lake's shoreline...it was magnificent.

HABCAN
08-09-2017, 10:48 AM
JonB, my 'Scrappie-dog' was like your 'Lady'. Miss her terribly.

DerekP Houston
08-09-2017, 10:51 AM
Most people I can take or leave, but a good dog will always get my attention. Heck even the rowdy ones are fun...

jcwit
08-09-2017, 11:41 AM
I have a next door neighbor who has a black lab. I can not even go into by back yard or on my deck without listening to the dog bark and bark till I go back into the house.

This has been going on for at least 5 years with this dog, and for 40 years with her other black labs over the years, Ive talked to her about it to no avail, now I'm the bad guy for voicing my opinion wishing for some peace & quiet in my back yard.

Now tell me how much I love black labs.

There 8 neighbors on my block, I get along just fine with 7 of them, out of the 7 four of them have dogs, and I get along just fine with thos 7, and have no problems. Neighbor 8, she refuses to even speak to me, all because of the dog, still have to listen to the dog, at least I don't have to listen to the old bitty.

DerekP Houston
08-09-2017, 12:02 PM
Tried the sonic anti-bark devices? We have one that we use on our dogs for training purposes, shuts them up pretty quick. Works on the neighbors chihuahua's pretty good too. Problem is if the dog has learned to bark for attention you are just giving it what it wants.

jsizemore
08-09-2017, 12:45 PM
I thought this was gonna be about a redhead.

DerekP Houston
08-09-2017, 01:26 PM
I thought this was gonna be about a redhead.

To be fair, it was why I clicked on this thread to begin with ;). Dogs are always fun too though.

Thumbcocker
08-09-2017, 01:51 PM
I thought he found a wheel weight.

Taylor
08-09-2017, 03:08 PM
Driving to work one morning,there was a man out for a walk.Looked like rain in the sky.Along side him was a black lab....carrying an umbrella.

hwilliam01
08-09-2017, 05:06 PM
I have always loved dogs and had one many years ago after college, but couldn't keep him due to my extensive travel schedule. Recently retired and a friend was in the same boat after getting her from another person that couldn't keep her, and asked if I would take a German Shepard, which I have always wanted. She has been with us now since November of last year and I can't imagine life without her. Since we were her 4th owners (breeders, then the first family, the other family and finally us). I love this dog so much...she is smart and so sweet. She loves to go fishing with me and gets more excited than I do when I catch a fish. She is allowed at my gun range, although I have her on an extended leash so that she will not wander into the field of fire and she loves shooting just as well and it doesn't bother her. I took a song writing class now that I am retired and my song ended up being about her called "She's the New Queen of my King Sized Bed". One of the lines in my song was something like...put your wife and your dog in the trunk of your car....drive around town for an hour...open the trunk door and see which one is happy to see you....now that's true love!

Scorpion8
08-09-2017, 05:25 PM
Dogs make the best friends, better than most people. I have 3 dogs, and one is a compact black lab who's my buddy. Always by my side. Love labs of any color.

smokeywolf
08-09-2017, 05:25 PM
Love all dogs, but as you can tell by my , nom-de-plume and my avatar, I have a weakness for large dogs and particularly, wolfdogs. Sammy was our first wolfdog, Smokey our second and Timber is our third and my avatar. I am a firm believer in the concept that there are far more bad owners than there are bad dogs. Also, of the bad dogs (and bad people) that are out there, many are the result of irresponsible breeding.

MaryB
08-10-2017, 01:46 AM
I spent weekends at the lake where my parents had a camper in a resort. First thing Misty my first lab had to do is run down the swimming dock and launch out as far as she could then swim with the kids until she could barely stay afloat. She would come back to the cabin I rented(they had small sleeping cabins by the trailers, bed, bathroom, microwave, dorm fridge, coffee maker), shake off then lay by me in the shade resting for the next round of play time. Resort owner had a lab also and the two of them played hard!

My parents had a couple different Labs when I was growing up. One Black Lab, "Lady", loved to fetch, especially into the Lake (I was blessed to growup living at a Lake home). Throw a ball into the Lake, Lady would run FULL Blast down the Dock, and Jump in, and really JUMP, like she was trying to reach the other side of the Lake's shoreline...it was magnificent.

jimlj
08-10-2017, 10:59 AM
I have a next door neighbor who has a black lab. I can not even go into by back yard or on my deck without listening to the dog bark and bark till I go back into the house.

This has been going on for at least 5 years with this dog, and for 40 years with her other black labs over the years, Ive talked to her about it to no avail, now I'm the bad guy for voicing my opinion wishing for some peace & quiet in my back yard.

There 8 neighbors on my block, I get along just fine with 7 of them, out of the 7 four of them have dogs, and I get along just fine with thos 7, and have no problems. Neighbor 8, she refuses to even speak to me, all because of the dog, still have to listen to the dog, at least I don't have to listen to the old bitty.

I had the same problem with a neighbors dog. It is a black lab as well. This went on for weeks and the dog drove me nuts. One day I decided instead of us not getting along I'd make friends with "Pete". I took him out some scraps from the Sunday ham dinner. Pete just wanted to bark and wouldn't come near me, so I poked the scraps through the chain link fence and stepped back. He came over to check it out, and we have been best friends every since (over 4 years now). I now have a box of dog treats I share with Pete. If he hears my back door open he runs over to see if I have anything for him, but never barks. You might try being his/her friend...

WILCO
08-10-2017, 11:18 AM
There's a beautiful redheaded woman that works at my bank.
Can't talk to her as I grow weak in the knees.
And I did happen to spot a wheel weight, but that's another story...............

DerekP Houston
08-10-2017, 11:23 AM
There he goes, never disappoints his fans!

blackthorn
08-10-2017, 11:38 AM

We have the same problem only ours is a Border Collie. Had words with the idiot that owns it several times. He lets it out for a half hour every morning about 6 AM and a few minutes after it is out it starts to bark non-stop until he lets it back in. I am no big fan of city by-laws but he has been warned that at some point I will get so ticked off I will involve them. Our city allows chickens (hens only no roosters) he got some chickens and guess what? he has at least one rooster. I grew up around chickens and the rooster don't bother us but that dang dog does. I would like to know more about the sonic device mentioned in this thread, i.e. make, cost, range of effectiveness etc. Any info would be appreciated.

DerekP Houston
08-10-2017, 01:38 PM
Here's the one we have, I would've thought it was a gimmick but it works on our dogs.

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Sonic-Egg-Sunbeam/dp/B00GT0E2T0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1502386586&sr=8-1&keywords=sunbeam+sonic+egg+handheld

It seems to have a range of around 5' and is dependent on the dog. My pitbull ignored it completely but the 2 little ones don't like it one bit. Was worth a shot for the low price range, and if you buy it in person you can always return it with the receipt.

Lloyd Smale
08-11-2017, 07:13 AM
no dog can "talk with there eyes" as well as a lab.

MaryB
08-12-2017, 12:31 AM
Oh yeah the sad puppy eyes when a lab wants something, the happy eyes when a gun came out because it meant hunting or playing retrieve with the dummy and blanks when she was still a puppy, the stare asking to go out I gotta pee now...

Spooksar
08-12-2017, 02:56 AM
I have a Black lab and a chocolate lab, previously had a yellow lab, nicest digs around but they need attention and exercise.