PDA

View Full Version : Promo

David R
11-14-2005, 04:34 PM
Not a milsurp, but supposed to be the same burning speed as RED DOT. I use a lot of red dot.

PROMO Cost?...........$79.95 for an 8 Lb jug right off the shelf at my local gun shop.

I will report on it after I try some.

David

felix
11-14-2005, 04:50 PM
Yes, Promo is reported by the manufacturer as the same speed as RD, but considerably more compact by intention. In our applications, this is not beneficial by creating smaller granules than RD. We would instead want a fluffier powder, more like the donut shaped powder made for Hodgdon. ... felix

David R
11-14-2005, 07:29 PM
Felix,

I was thinking about that. They say its the same speed as red dot, but you can use 2 sizes smaller powder bushing in your shotgun reloader. BUT if you are loading the standard 18 grains, there are still 7,000 grains in a pound.

I couldn't resist the price. I was paying $18.99 plus tax for Red Dot. We will see how 11 grains works in the 308. Had no luck with filler and Red Dot, I always figured because it ignites so easily.

David

Johnch
11-14-2005, 07:46 PM
I tryed it a few years back for clay target loads .
I had problems with it from pound to pound for speed I got
Then I talked to a Alliant rep .

It is as bad as surpluss powder in lot to lot differances

I was told it is made to use up other powders that did not meet burn rate specs.

There is a reason it is so cheap

Johnch

felix
11-14-2005, 08:26 PM
David, just treat it like you would any surplus powder! The quality of it should be just as good as any new stuff coming off the line, especially if it is manufactured by chemically melting down currently made powders that did not meet canister specs, and then bringing to life another powder in gigantic quantities. Lot to lot variation could be considerable in burn rate though, so if you like the speed go back to the store and get the remaining jugs with the same lot number. Thanks, Johnch, for the heads up... felix

porkchop bob
11-14-2005, 09:11 PM
I read somewhere, but can not confirm, that Promo was the old stye Red Dot, repackaged to sell existing inventory and the new Red Dot was slightly chaged to reduce smoking and trash in the barrel. I have several pounds of the old Red Dot but do not have any Promo or the newer Red Dot to sample or to compare. I will be happy to test if a pound or two of these powders show up at my door :-)

Bob