PDA

View Full Version : Lyman #311291

Harry
07-31-2008, 10:14 AM
I'm a newbie with a question on lube/sizing cast 311291's. First, is the top groove for lube, or is it a crimp groove? I'm using an old Lyman #45 lube/sizer with a 311 H&I die and 465 top punch. I need to adjust to either fill all 3 grooves, or just the bottom 2. This is my first go at lube and sizing. I have the gas checks and will install when I size and lube.

Thanks,
Harry

wiljen
07-31-2008, 10:26 AM
Just lube the two larger square grooves. The upper most groove is a crimp groove. When you see a narrow groove with a single sloped side as in the upper one, it is almost always a crimp groove. Lube grooves are typically wider to allow more lube to be held.

1Shirt
07-31-2008, 12:36 PM
The upper groove, grooves can be what ever you want depending on the throat of your rifle. Not so with revolvers of course. For example if you have a long throated single shot and want to seat the blt way out or into the lands, you may well be well below the crimp groove. On the other hand, if you have little or no throat, you may well have to seat above the crimp groove. The Kieth Blts as an example in a 444 have to be seated well above the crimp groove in order to function. As to how much lube and in which grooves, that is a personal preferance, and acceptablity of performance. I tend to think however that if there are multi grease grooves not filled, the blts look somewhat like the so called red headed stepchild, and a bit naked. Just my opinion of course.
1Shirt!:coffee: