PDA

View Full Version : RCBS Lube Sizer/Top Punches

Marc2
11-14-2005, 03:37 PM
Just received a new RCBS lube sizer Lube A Matic 2 as a gift. I hav'nt even unboxed it. Just read the instructions. I'm use to the Star sizer and the nose first method. I was disappointed to find out that with the base first method there is a dedicated top punch that has to fit the bullet nose. Most all of my molds are LBT style (not RCBS) with a fairly wide meplat. Just talked to RCBS and they said to mail in a sample of all my bullet styles and they would make custom punches for my bullets. At $27 (with shipping) a pop I could buy a second Star machine and some more dies. Is there any way around this? The rep at RCBS said they dont make punches without the cup. I have an idea that if I could find a blanked out punch (without the cup) that covered my largest meplat, I could just have one per caliber. Would this be possible? Does anyone make that type punch for RCBS machines? I dont want to try to size anything with it until I get this worked out just in case I decide to sell it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Marc In VA

StarMetal
11-14-2005, 04:53 PM
Many standard punches fit a variety of different noses. That's what me and Buckshot do, find a punch we have that is close and use it. Now Buckshot was telling me where he makes punches for this guy and when the guy gets them he fills the cavity that Buckshot cut with epoxy to form the exact shape of the bullet nose. Talk to Buckshot about it, sure cheaper then those custom ones from RCBS.

Joe

MT Gianni
11-14-2005, 05:42 PM
You can turn a 1/4" bolt on a grinder and grind the flats off for a make do punch. .357 will usually work for 38 and up. Gianni.

NVcurmudgeon
11-14-2005, 05:45 PM
If you have an extra top punch for any flat point boolit, you can grind it down to flat all the way across and use it for most flat point boolits. Just be sure that your home-altered punch can enter the sizing die, or you may have lube all over the place! Also, if you didn't know, RCBS and Lyman punches are interchangeable and many of the RCBS punches use Lyman numbers.

9.3X62AL
11-14-2005, 05:55 PM
Marc 2--

Complete agreement with Starmetal's take on the top punch issue regarding the RCBS/Lyman sizing system.

You have bumped up against the principal disadvantage the RCBS/Lyman sizing system has when compared to the Star system/method. What I've come to do over the years with the short/fat boolits that service revolvers and autopistols is to find two generic top punches in each caliber class, one that's hemispheric and another that's flat across the majority of its engagement surface. This has been successful for me in the 30/32 caliber class, even with the longer 30/31/32 caliber rifle boolits--the 35/9mm caliber class, 40 caliber class, 44 caliber class, and 45 caliber class--which again works equally well with short pistol and longer rifle castings. The 24 and 25 caliber castings of any length do better with design-specific top punches, in my experience.

In other words, about 10-12 regular-stock top punches can service most of the castings in most of the calibers I process--about 50 different mold designs, all told. The stumbling blocks are spire point or spitzer designs--or the relatively delicate small caliber castings.

MGySgt
11-14-2005, 08:17 PM
Marc2

There are many ways to get the correct top punch for any bullet. If you find one in the right caliber (so it will go down into the sizer die) and

The nose is too big to fit - use valve grinding compound on the nose of the bullet and spin it in a drill press. You keep it square and you have a custom fit.

If the nose is too small, lots of room in the top punch, put a release agent on a bullet and fill the nose with epoxy glue and put it in the sizer and push down on the handle. Let it hold for what ever lenght of time you need to let the epoxy setup and once again you have a custom nose punch.

Look at gun shows/flea markets, etc for used top punchs for RCBS and Lyman suzer/lubers - they are cheap this way and you can modify them for custom fit.

You can even take down the diameter of the part that goes into the sizer die on your drill press with a file if it is too big.

I have had custom top punchs made with custom molds that didn't fit right (different alow, casting temp, etc) and took more time to walk to the garage then it did to make it a custom fit.

Lots of different ways to get a top punch to fit right.

Drew

James Wisner
11-18-2005, 12:47 AM
I to have had my problems with these top punches.

Last month cast some RCBS 35-200 bullets and pulled the correctly marked top punch. Well it was the correct shape only .050" TO LARGE IN DIAMETER.
Also needed an odd Lyman punch they no longer make.

So got busy with the computer and wrote a program to crank these blank top punches (flat) out on my CNC lathe. I now have some in 270, 30, 348, 35, 41, 44, 45 calibers. These are the correct size shank for the Lyman, RCBS lubers, turned from 12L14 steel, and with a full diameter flat end.

I will work on making some with other type of cavities shortly for the semi pointed and round nose shapes

I will put this in the for sale section, also.
For those interested drop me a email.

Jim Wisner
Custom Metalsmith

Blackwater
11-21-2005, 03:22 AM
I've used a good many Lee moulds for a long time, plus some Saecos, and Just did like Star Metal et al did, and used a punch that would work and didn't make a ring on the nose. No problems doing this. I think I have 12-15 top punches, and so far haven't been unable to find a good, suitable top punch that worked well with any bullet I've come up with.

I particularly like using a RN punch with some SWC's, since I think the round punch cavity MAY (?) help center the SWC's nose, or at least will IF the size is right.

With some misalignment almost guaranteed with the stem of the top punch going into a slightly oversized hole, I don't see this as being a big problem. I've traditionally cast mainly handgun bullets, though, and the rifle guys may have a different take on it, especially with a long skinny bullet like a 311284, for instance. Just MHO and my somewhat limited experience.