PDA

View Full Version : adding tin

lablover
08-05-2017, 01:50 PM
Is it ok to add tin after you are during/done smelting? I figured it would be easier to add then instead of adding it to my layman bottom pour. I just added some to my mix during casting and my bullets came out awesome. I figured if it's casting good at 1% tin added I may as well add it during the smelt..or in the smelt after I'm done cleaning it all.

Joe K
08-05-2017, 02:00 PM
This would not be a problem. I would label the alloy for later reference.

William Yanda
08-05-2017, 02:13 PM
The advantage of doing it the way you described is getting a large batch of a consistent alloy. You will never have to ask yourself; Did I add tin to this pot already?
As others have said, a little goes a long ways, and that method will also minimize the amount of tin you have to find. For paper, many alloys will accomplish the job. For hunting I prefer a blend with the antimony and lead balanced.

farmerjim
08-05-2017, 02:16 PM
It is the way I do it. I add the tin, superhard, copper, etc. to make the alloy I want. If it is for pistols, I try to make at least 150 pounds at a time. I use a marker to label all the ingots.

lightman
08-05-2017, 02:47 PM
I do whatever blending I want to do when I smelt. My thinking is having a large batch of consistent alloy. I'll second the statement about marking the ingots.

DerekP Houston
08-05-2017, 02:56 PM
I prefer to mix in large batches myself as well. Once all the slag/fluxing is done and scraped off I just estimate how many lbs I added vs removed and add the appropriate amount of pewter nuggets. I prefer having everything ready for the bottom pour pot without messing with mixing again. I'm guilty of not being able to remember if I added tin or not so I've over done it in the past (just wasting money).

lablover
08-05-2017, 04:12 PM
Outstanding!!! Time to get the big pot and fish fryer out! Cant thank you gents enough.

bangerjim
08-05-2017, 04:17 PM
I NEVER make large batches of anything. That way I can change my mix later without any problems. Having hundreds of pounds of "an aloy" may work for some. I prefer to add "stuff" on the fly to get to where I want to be. And Sn is always added to the casting pot, never to a re-melting pot, in my shop. Why waste it heating and reheating? Add it once and be done with it.

Banger

DerekP Houston
08-05-2017, 04:34 PM
I NEVER make large batches of anything. That way I can change my mix later without any problems. Having hundreds of pounds of "an aloy" may work for some. I prefer to add "stuff" on the fly to get to where I want to be. And Sn is always added to the casting pot, never to a re-melting pot, in my shop. Why waste it heating and reheating? Add it once and be done with it.

Banger

I suppose it depends on what you are casting for as well. I've cast some powder puff rounds for my 30-06, but 95% of my casting is for target loads with my pistols. Same alloy has worked for all of them so I tried to simplify.

lablover
08-05-2017, 04:43 PM
I better lube these up and shoot them before I make a large batch of the same aloy. Who knows, maybe something isn't right. I will say my lead is for all 1911's in 45 act. I cast for nothing else....YET. :)