PDA

View Full Version : wheel weights and oil

copdills
07-31-2008, 03:54 AM
I have a question pards, I just got a bucket of wheel weights and thats great been looking for along time most have some motor oil on them are these ok to put in the pot to smelt or do I need to clean them first

Thanks copdills:castmine:

Linstrum
07-31-2008, 05:21 AM
Drain off all excess oil and then dump 'em in the melter. When they start to smoke be sure to torch off the smoke so the vaporized oil gets burned-off cleanly. Oil is a good thing, some of us use it in place of wax, charcoal, sawdust, sugar, lard, plastic sandwhich bags, etc., for preparing our boolit metal for casting.

randyrat
07-31-2008, 05:22 AM
Depends, do you need to fog the yard for bugs because your going to have a lot of smoke. You can do it with oil in there but expect a lot of smoke. You could degrease them some if you have a place dispose the grease. Or smelt them in small batches so you don't smoke out your neighbors too much. Degrease them and put the rinsate in a bucket and dispose where you would dispose used oil. I've done oil laden WWs before with no ill effects other than a lot of nasty smoke. Just before dark there is a lull in the breezes smoke goes straight up, good time to smelt nasty WWs

jameslovesjammie
07-31-2008, 05:26 AM
Smelt them up! From what I understand, the oil will act as a flux for you.

warf73
07-31-2008, 05:46 AM
I flux with used motor oil, smelt them babies down.

jack19512
07-31-2008, 06:10 AM
I wouldn't waste the time cleaning them. I have had oil and other stuff on wheelweight several times and have never tried to clean them.

copdills
07-31-2008, 06:27 AM
Thanks thats what I needed to know, but one more thing after the first batch, is it alright to add more WW's with oil on them to the pot , I know water will make the tinsil fairy come will oil do the same thing I don't want to do that

Shiloh
07-31-2008, 06:49 AM
As Stated, It will smoke and it stinks.

The last batch had traces of tore in it to boot, so there was that smell to contend with. The oil does act as a flux and when my buddy does it, the top of the melt looks like a mirror when all the stell and dirt is removed.

Shiloh

Linstrum
07-31-2008, 06:56 AM
I'd be real sure they were dried first in case there were any tiny water droplets under the rim clips, but other than that go ahead and put them ON TOP at first, don't push them under right away since the oil will make a LOT of bubbles, when the bubbles quit then stir them in - but no explosive Tinsel Fairy and Burnt Face Fairy will visit you.

rl382

compass will
07-31-2008, 07:43 AM
As someone else said, once it starts smoking light the top of the pot. It will really help cleaning up the smoke.

Duckiller
07-31-2008, 08:33 PM
I vote with the smelt it now group. Oil makes a good flux. If there is a possibility of water then start with an empty cold pot. Wheel weights will gradually heat up and the water will evaporate.

madcaster
07-31-2008, 08:53 PM
I have a friend who uses USED oil and wood to smelt large quantities of wheelweights!

Three44s
07-31-2008, 09:06 PM
If you can pre-heat your oily WW's somewhat it will lessen the chance for trapped H2O from evoking the Tinsel Fairy.

In fact, I preheat everything .... the spoon I stir with ...... everything that touches the molten metal gets "hotted up" first (except for you fluxing agent)

Your flux ..... whatever you use can just float on top of the melt until it's hot .... then stir it in ..... just don't stir it in before it's ready.

Three 44s