PDA

View Full Version : Instead of JPW...

kamikaze1a
07-30-2008, 10:05 PM
Been reading posts about a 2nd layer of JPW after Alox to cure the sticky boolit syndrome. Just wondering if anyone has tried one of those spray on Carnuba waxes after Alox has dried...or even dry silicone spray?

Boerrancher
07-30-2008, 10:19 PM
I don't see any reason why one of the spray on carnuba waxes wouldn't work as long as it dries to a hard finish. I have tried the spray on silicones, even the ones that are cut with hexane as a carrier. They do not dry to a hard finish, slicker than snot, but would just add to the gunk that gets stuck up in the seating die. I would buy a can of the Carnuba wax and spray it on a few boolits and let them set and see what happens.

Best wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe

kamikaze1a
07-30-2008, 10:49 PM
I'll give it a shot and let you all know if I come to a revalation...

kamikaze1a
08-04-2008, 11:37 PM
Initial test; apply spray on car wax to lead ingot. A few hours later, totally dry to the touch. This sprayon wax's label stated water, Carnuba wax and another ingrediant that I think is a alcohol base. Next test; spray on Alox coated bullet....

jonk
08-05-2008, 08:47 AM
Interesting stuff. Personally I never found a problem with just straight alox- mine was (is) never tacky if I let it dry long enough, though it IS soft- it will rub off, so if this would seal things it would be a nice easy thing.

kamikaze1a
08-23-2008, 07:58 PM
Jonk, how long dry time are you giving the Alox?

And did test the spray on Carnuba car wax on Alox coated boolits. It seems to work but not sure on the "fired" results yet. It did not cause any of the Alox to run off like JPW does and was actually less sticky than the JPW treated....more info after test firing.

jhalcott
08-23-2008, 08:11 PM
MY LLA coated bullets seem to NEVER dry. Heavy or light coats are still tacky weeks later. I dusted a batch of .45 bullets with talcum powder last week .I shot about 50 of them to see if there was any accuracy degradation. At 25 yards they seem to shoot the same as undusted boolets.

kamikaze1a
08-25-2008, 09:08 PM
Test results from two light coats of Alox and then JPW were good. No noticeable leading and accuracy was good. Also tried one light coat of Alox and spray on Canuba car wax and got like results and the boolits were actually less tacky than the JPW treated. Both tests were with Lee TL 45acp at about 800fps. The light coats were truly light, not nearly as much lube as I've seen on many of the pictures posted here. I think a little goes a long way at least at the velocities I was running anyway...

eveready
08-25-2008, 09:39 PM
Kamikaze1a did you notice whether or not there was more,less or the same amount of smoke with the car wax sprayed boolits? I'm trying to find a way to cut down on the smoke for shooting in an indoor range.

870TC
08-25-2008, 10:33 PM
Anybody tried Rooster Jacket? goes on like LLA but dries hard and clear. Maybe one coat of LLA and one coat of RJ on top?

kamikaze1a
08-26-2008, 01:04 AM
Didn't notice more smoke but then again, not much before either. Will make a note to watch for smoke next weekend. I'll have to look into Rooster Jacket...

h1tdk00
08-26-2008, 06:16 PM
I tried Rooster Jacket over LLA and it worked well for me. It definitely made the bullets less sticky than straight LLA. That is what I used until I got a star sizer.

870TC
09-03-2008, 06:05 PM
The spray on carnuba wax, is it pump spray or a aerosol can???? . Where can I get it?

kamikaze1a
09-04-2008, 06:27 PM
The spray wax is trigger sprayer car wax...no abrasives. The label states water, canauba and some chemical that is ethyl alcohol based and from what I found an imulsifier... It is a spray on, wipe off wax but you need to read the labels because most do not state what the contents are. The only one I found that listed the contents was a 3M brand and it dries in a few hours and not sticky or slimy. Just a light wax coating but enough to coat the sticky Alox about as well as JPW but much easier to apply.

As for which I prefer, I like the spray wax for ease but I like the JPW for the additional lube protection. It's actually not that hard to apply the JPW and when dried, is pretty easy to handle.

I think many have issue with Alox because they apply way to much. A little works for my application and any excess only leads to more mess when loading, more smoke when firing and more waste. I've shot my TL at 800-1k fps with less leading (no leading at all) than with conventionally lubed boolits. Then again, I've only been casting/lubing for a very short time so I am no expert. But I have been reloading for years with commercial cast bullets that left lead in my barrels...

Boerrancher
09-04-2008, 10:27 PM
I am not going to flame the star or the lyman sizers, because for years I used a lyman, and refused to tumble lube anything, because I KNEW it would lead up my barrels worse than they already did. Through a series of unfortunate events I no longer had access to a Lube/sizer when I got back from Afghanistan. When I got well enough to start casting again and started buying casting equipment I didn't have the money for a lube sizer so I went the tumble lube route. I am still shooting the same guns, but with Lots of JPW and a few drops of LLA from time to time, I no longer have any leading problems that are not of my own making, due to undersized, too hard, or too soft of boolits.

I just traded for a Lyman Lube sizer, and I will use it some, but it is hard to get away from tumbling when I have had such good luck with it.

Best Wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe