PDA

View Full Version : Darned leaky melting pot!

arlon
08-02-2017, 10:13 PM
Well, the drips do make for some interesting miniature sculptures.. (-:}

DerekP Houston
08-02-2017, 11:12 PM
heh, as long as you have something to catch the drips and wear gloves it ain't so bad....don't ask me though I switched to a pro-melt.

Grmps
08-03-2017, 02:20 AM
I assume you're talking about the PRO 4 20LB Lee, Is it the older style where you turn a screw and adjust the amount of flow or the newer type where you have a threaded rod with a slot in it? I've found screwing the rod in until its snug the back out usually stops the drips.
Make sure the 2 shoulder bolts that the valve arm assembly slides up and down on are snug, don't over tighten because they will strip out. then you have to take the cover off and pinch the slot the screw goes into together to grip the screw.
don't smelt in the casting pot and makes sure you flux the lead several times when smelting. If you only use clean lead for casting this will greatly reduce the number of drips you get.

Sasquatch-1
08-03-2017, 06:17 AM
If you do a search, there was a thread on drip art running for a while.

MyFlatline
08-05-2017, 04:34 PM
On my Lee, I find it drips more when the rod get off center. Instead of just letting go of the knob, I now pull down on it and it helps tremendously.

DerekP Houston
08-05-2017, 04:41 PM
On my Lee, I find it drips more when the rod get off center. Instead of just letting go of the knob, I now pull down on it and it helps tremendously.

Adding weight to the knob helped with mine for awhile, as well as pushing down firmly for positive closure.

arlon
08-05-2017, 10:07 PM
I'll have to let it leak for awhile. I'm having too much fun with the little sculptures.. (-:}

OS OK
08-05-2017, 10:16 PM
I'll have to let it leak for awhile. I'm having too much fun with the little sculptures.. (-:}

Good man...you have an eye for art. What we do here is a craft, I heard a few say its an art form also...I agree.

Old Iron Sights
08-06-2017, 11:03 AM
If mine gets too bad, I drain it out and polish the opening and the rod.

Tom W.
08-07-2017, 09:29 PM
I used some valve grinding compound and my artwork has disappeared.....

arlon
08-08-2017, 04:08 PM
I used some valve grinding compound and my artwork has disappeared.....
That sounds like a good trick!