PDA

View Full Version : Spout clogs

Bad Karma
07-30-2008, 09:13 PM
:confused:I have a Lee production pot and I've had it for 20+ years and after a while the thing clogs. I flix wix marveluc and parafin wax, not at the same time though. Anyway, it seems to clog even though it's set to the highest setting. So, is it a dross issue at the spout? Is it wore out? So I cleaned it out hot. Poued the alloy into the old ingot mould then removed the pour rod and lifter. Used my gun show hemostats and some steel wool to get the rest of the crud out.
Should I use my Dremel to make the pour hole a bit larger? It seems to like to do this more often lately for some reason.
When I was casting I used a little butane torch to hit the nozzle with some high heat. This got it pouring but clogged after 4 mould breaks.

oneokie
07-30-2008, 09:29 PM
Have you checked the temperature of the alloy in the pot with a thermometer? Sounds like low temperature clogging to me.

454PB
07-30-2008, 09:44 PM
You need to keep a tool handy to rod the hole out occasionally. I use a blunt dental pick about 1/16" thick, but something as simple as a pair of vice grips with a finishing nail clamped in the jaws will work. place the nail in the spout from the bottom, then lift the metering rod and run the nail up and down an inch or so. The lead that flows out will form a small pile on the aluminum base, which can be returned to the pot. If you do this every hundred to two hundred pours, the problem goes away.

Bad Karma
07-30-2008, 11:37 PM
Hmmmm. I'm now thinking that the pot is dying. After cleaning it out completely and refilling it, the alloy melts then gets slushy. I think the thermostadt and or the coil is getting tired. Now the question is should I replace the parts or the pot. The stand off is too short for my hollow point moulds. I'm thinking of replacing it.

runfiverun
07-30-2008, 11:51 PM
there are contact points in there you need to clean them.
and i am surprised nobody said it was the marvelux doing it.

454PB
07-31-2008, 12:56 AM
there are contact points in there you need to clean them.
and i am surprised nobody said it was the marvelux doing it.

That's because it isn't. I've used Marvelux and about every other flux you can name for 35 years with my Lee pots, and the choice of flux makes no difference. The design of the Lee valves makes them tend to gather the heavy crud and clog the valve.

Bad Karma, you need to check your thermostat and wiring connections. It sounds like it does need attention. The heating element either works or it doesn't. Failure to maintain a liquid state is caused by a malfunction in the thermostat or a high resistance connection.

Bad Karma
07-31-2008, 01:08 AM
I just ordered a new Lee pot. The new ones have a 4" clearance. Now I can cast my Ideal hollow point moulds. I got the 20 pound 700 watt jobber. I think this will work fine for mass production.

cheshire cat
08-24-2008, 02:58 PM
I just got a new Lee pot with 4" clearance and was turning large pretty clean ingots into a smaller size, approx 40+ pounds I noticed what I can only describe as themostat drift, started at 4 and ended up at 9 and eventually ablocked/ frozen spout as it was clean stuff and new I turned it off for an hour then back on at 4 and all was fine, I recon it is because of the stat in a non ventilated "box" and heat builds, anyroadup as we say round here, I drilled the base below the verticle nad a couple of 1/4" holes in the back at the top in the hope of a cure, any opinions gratefully recieved:drinks: