PDA

View Full Version : new member hello

danski26
11-14-2005, 12:44 PM
Just wanted to say hi and tell everyone a bit about myself since I am brand new to the forum. I have been hunting and shooting for 20 years, handloading for 7 years. I am a former Marine 94-98 0311.

I have just started shooting cast bullets in the past 3 or 4 years. I have a S&W 629 and a freedom arms model 83 (44 mag) that I shoot 250gr keith bullets out of. I have been purchasing them from "leadhead" but I want to start casting my own. I also shoot cast out of my springfield 1911a1 for some low cost target practice. I look forward to being part of the forum and learning a few things.

Thanks Dan

felix
11-14-2005, 01:06 PM
Dan, glad you joined the board. It is my turn to welcome a newbee. Your military background should help keep you oriented towards cast, especially if you hanker to get into the military bolt guns and make them shoot worth a hoot. ... felix

Bullshop
11-14-2005, 01:39 PM
Danski26
OH MAN you just bairly missed the 1000 entry by a nose! That would have won you the free log book, bummer! The first thing you have to learn is how to spell boolits!!! And the second is not to pick on those(me) that cant spell.
ENJOY!
BIC/BS

waksupi
11-14-2005, 03:50 PM
Welcome aboard, to you and other new members we may have missed signing on. This is the place to learn. Don't be afraid to ask questions, and be sure to go back through the archives. There is some good stuff there.

David R
11-14-2005, 04:45 PM
Welcome,

We are NOT responsable for your actions. If you find your self hoarding wheel weights, buying 10 molds even though you only have 2 guns, or any other things like that.

Before I joined here, I was happy with a 1 lb coffee can of boolits in reserve. Now I need at least a couple of hundred pounds of boolits ready to go. I have many pounds of surplus powder, many molds, 1200 lbs of wheel weights, and am always thinking of new ideas for cast boolits.

I started to cast my own boolits to save money HA!. It sure has improved my shooting ability though.

Its a BLAST!

David

9.3X62AL
11-14-2005, 05:20 PM
Another "WELCOME ABOARD" extended here, to Dan and the other new folks that have joined recently.

The FA 83 I'm sure has no dimensional quirks--those wheelers are assembled correctly. Just find its throat dimensions, size boolits at or .001" over that dimension, and drive tacks with it. Same story with the M-629, but there might be a little hiccup between throat and groove diameters--sometimes a little large throat-wise vs. the groove, but this often won't cause problems. It boils down to this--if the boolits shoot well and don't cause leading--LEAVE THINGS ALONE. If there are difficulties, then go a step at a time toward resolving them--lots of us have seen that movie, so ask questions as needed.

Overall, the 44 Magnum is one of the most accurate revolver cartridges ever devised, and this goes double for cast boolits in the caliber. These days, most of my 44 Magnum loads run close to Elmer Keith's recommendation--"1200 FPS is all you need". In the Redhawk x 5.5", that's a real friendly load, and both Lyman #429421 and #429244 shoot equally well sized at .431". In the 44 Special (M-624 x 6.5"), #429421 shoots very well from 750-1100 FPS sized at .431". I like the 44 caliber wheelguns a WHOLE LOT.

NVcurmudgeon
11-14-2005, 05:27 PM
Dan, Welcome to our obsession! We have much in common. I have a S&W 629, (8 3/8") and a Colt Gold Cup. I have to load those two with a Dillon machine to keep them fed. Also, I am a sailor, discharged 1963. I can still do a decent job as a lookout, helmsman, and painter of haze gray metal, but the Navy says they are full up.

Buckshot
11-14-2005, 07:02 PM
...........Ah Gawd! A Jarhead AND a peestol guy. You notice there wasn't ONE rifle mentioned? Huh, Huh?

Look Dan, welcome to the board and all that, but what are you gonna do if you need a REAL gun, ya know? Pistols are like okay when a knife or a ball bat just isn't the right thing, but what if it gets serious? Steenking peestols are for emergancy situations.

They're also the weapon de jure of REMF's. You wanna be a REMF? Oops (whispering to self) maybe he WAS an REMF? Well okay, some of my best friends were REMF's, heh, heh.

.............Buckshot

waksupi
11-14-2005, 07:15 PM
Buckshot, wake up and smell the coffee, boy! He done said he had a rifle gun!

Bret4207
11-14-2005, 07:37 PM
Welcome from another Jarhead. 'Fraid I was a "winger", but me and Uncle Ron Reagn did win the cold war. Keep your eyes open here and you'll learn alot. Semper Fi- Bret USMC 79-83 3072

Gunload Master
11-14-2005, 08:08 PM
Welcome to the board!
Best advice I can give right now would be to watch out for all the "Sheep" jokes around here. ;)

wills
11-14-2005, 08:55 PM
Sheep Jokes? Here?

danski26
11-14-2005, 09:59 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome!

:D As for rifles, i shoot my fn-49 (30-06) the most. I just finished with a parker-hale mauser action project, also in 30-06, that I am very proud of. I picked up a HOWA 270 project rifle for next year. I have a 336 carbine circa 1950's "I think" that needs to have loads worked up for it. I have a rem model 14 in 35 rem that is kinda a wall hanger right now, but I have shot deer with it. Couple other odds and ends laying around also.

I just bought the fa 83 2 months ago and it has taken up almost all my spare attention so the rifles have taken a backseat for a while. The 629..........well..........it will be a post of some length in the fututre! In a word "LEMON".

:D As for REMF......0311 is infantry. Only rear I saw was the one I was kicking!

I have a good sense of humor and take it as tounge in cheek that it is. Except for the sheep joke thing?????? Do I want to ask????

Buckshot
11-14-2005, 10:38 PM
Buckshot, wake up and smell the coffee, boy! He done said he had a rifle gun!

Nuh uh he didn't, not until his other post. I scrutinized the post completely.

I was worried there for a minute :D

Dan, right. All in fun dude. Heck, we were in the same branch of the service (elbow in the ribs, wink wink) except you got issued boots and I got issued a big gray mobile home. You had to carry your bed, food, water, clothes, personal items, weapons, and I .............well, glad to have ya aboard!

Gotta cousin retired out of the corp after 27 years. He's not quite right, but he's familiy.

............Buckshot

waksupi
11-15-2005, 01:41 AM
Geez, Buckshot, I saw Springfield, and didn't register the rest. I guess I'm the one who needs the coffee.

Dan, don't worry about the sheep. Carpetman is the only one that has any association with them. Well, maybe Wills, too, but he keeps it behind closed doors.

danski26
11-15-2005, 01:54 AM
closed doors.....good. Don't ask don't tell!

Cherokee
11-15-2005, 11:22 AM
Dan - welcome to the board from the Army 111B. You'll lear a lot.

Cherokee
11-15-2005, 11:23 AM
uh....make that learn a lot. You may also lear at some of the gun pics.

wills
11-16-2005, 03:01 PM
Shame you didnt get here earlier

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showpost.php?p=20206&postcount=73

charlie / sw mo
11-16-2005, 11:03 PM
Just wanted to say hi and tell everyone a bit about myself since I am brand new to the forum. I have been hunting and shooting for 20 years, handloading for 7 years. I am a former Marine 94-98 0311.

I have just started shooting cast bullets in the past 3 or 4 years. I have a S&W 629 and a freedom arms model 83 (44 mag) that I shoot 250gr keith bullets out of. I have been purchasing them from "leadhead" but I want to start casting my own. I also shoot cast out of my springfield 1911a1 for some low cost target practice. I look forward to being part of the forum and learning a few things.

Thanks Dan
dan there are no former Marines-- it never wears off--welcome aboard, i lurk on several lists but this is the best of the bunch. a lot to learn here and with all the group buys you might need a second job. iv only been here since july and already got on two of the group buys and see some more on the way. all in all a good list to be on.
charlie in sw mo