PDA

View Full Version : computer help, please.

tommag
08-01-2017, 08:25 AM
I have a Windows 8.1 laptop and tried to install Linux mint. I missed the part about wiping the disc and evidently wiped out Windows. The installation stalled partway through and was still at the same place this morning.
Now, I can only boot from the DVD I have mint on. If I remove it, the desk top is still there, but I can't get anything to happen. Since it only runs from the dvd, I can't try to install the software for my scanner. Scanning and sending documents is the main use for this computer.
Any help would be appreciated. I'm not very computer saavy.

kungfustyle
08-01-2017, 08:44 AM
Your best bet is to use a recovery disk for the Windows 8.1. You've wiped the hard drive and now you need to reinstall windows. Or that's what it sounds like. If you don't have a disk you can order one from the manufacturer, HP etc

Markopolo
08-01-2017, 10:11 AM
I always make a recovery disc when I install a new computer for somebody, or myself... good insurance...

tommag
08-01-2017, 10:22 AM
I found my old Vista recovery disc, but it says it's for a 32 bit computer. Would this run on a 64 bit system?

tommag
08-01-2017, 12:02 PM
I tried the Vista disc, but it wouldn't boot from it. Went back to the Linux install, it's still stuck where it's been all night. Looks like I'll have to take it to someone who knows what they're doing.

RogerDat
08-01-2017, 12:18 PM
Plug in a USB drive - Boot from Linux disk - copy off any critical work documents etc.

My guess is Linux install did a partial re partition of disk drive, might not have enough disk space, may not be "taking" windows disk space which leaves install unable to continue with only the "unused" disk space. Also may have dinked with booting process. I actually had that problem with dual boot system, the Linux install would hang because already installed windows didn't leave linux enough disk space to install.

Might try following the process for your brand of computer to force a boot into safe mode of windows. https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln151713/how-to-boot-into-safe-mode-on-windows-8-and-81-on-your-dell-pc?lang=en Most of the time there is a key combination that allows you to divert the boot up to a manual selection. Picking safe mode might get you back into windows.

I have to ask Linux and scanner, got scanner software? I haven't bought a scanner in a long time but Windows and Mac software tended to come with. *Nix not so much.

tommag
08-01-2017, 01:06 PM
I have the software that came with the scanner. Hopefully it'll work. I hired a Linux guy to fix it tomorrow.

tommag
08-03-2017, 03:35 PM
I was unable to go safe mode, Windows is gone. The tech guy installed mint and it wouldn't play with the scanner. So, he did a dual boot with Windows 7 so I can use the scanner.
I guess mint doesn't do dual boot well, it has 7 and the Linux is on a usb stick.

dbosman
08-03-2017, 07:06 PM
Windows 7 has security patch support through January 14, 2020. Just keep it patched.
Windows 10 can't see or talk to a great many scanners and cameras. Brand new ones work fine.
SANE in Linux can see and deal with a huge number of scanners.

Consider https://ubuntustudio.org/ for graphics manipulation.

RogerDat
08-04-2017, 03:34 PM
I would add Ubuntu is pretty good about having drivers for a lot of hardware. Have used that to make boot disk & usb stick for laptops because it seemed to have a good track record for laptop hardware actually working post install. Things such as built in video or network cards especially.