PDA

View Full Version : Sargent and Greenleaf Change Key

NavyVet1959
08-01-2017, 12:13 AM
Does anyone have any of these that they can take measurements off of? It seems that for the 6700 series of locks, there are 2 different keys -- one for a 3 wheel lock (4 combinations) and one for a 4 wheel lock (5 combinations). Some of the eBay sellers just say that they have a key, but they apparently don't know which lock is is for, so I figured I would ask here to see if anyone had one and could break out their calipers and take a few measurements and post them along with whether it is for a 3 or 4 wheel lock.

A. Length of the round pin at the end of the key
B. Length of the first section that is cut out from the tip of the key to the shoulder
C. Length of the second section that is NOT cut out
D. Length of the next cut out section
E. Diameter of what appears to be a round pin at the tip of the key
F. Size of the square rod that the key is made from

Hmmm... Come to think of it, if I have all these measurement, I could probably cut my own key...

varmintpopper
08-01-2017, 02:29 AM
The reset key for S&G locks have very small numbers stamped on the handle of the key ( Look Closely), If Your lock is of the 6700 series You will need a reset key stamped with that number. some reset keys will have more than one number stamped on them and will fit different locks. sorry but I don't have a 6700 key.
Hope this can help.

Good shooting

Lindy

NavyVet1959
08-01-2017, 03:12 AM
The key looks something like this:

http://images.spambob.net/navy-vet-1959/sargent-and-greenleaf-change-key.jpg

The best I can tell, it look like perhaps just the "B" measurement is different. This would make sense since the 4 wheel lock should be slightly thicker than the same style 3 wheel lock.

corbinace
08-01-2017, 04:21 AM
I am a bit ignorant about the number of lock "Wheels", but...

I have this brand of lock with part number 6730 01. I select three numbers and then go to about ten where it stops if I have selected the previous three correctly.

A= 0.070"
The "B" section is 0.678"
C= 0.216"
D= 0.159"
E= 0.106 X 0.110 Not round but rather hexagonal. Maybe just imperfect machining.

corbinace
08-01-2017, 04:40 AM

I have this brand of lock with part number 6730 01. (Yes, I am a hoarder and still have the box it came in:oops:) I select three numbers and then go to about ten where it stops if I have selected the previous three correctly.

A= 0.070"
C= 0.216"
D= 0.159"
E= 0.106 X 0.110 Not round but rather hexagonal. Maybe just imperfect machining.

I purchased the lock set in '96 and there is no identification marks of any sort on the key. I looked with a magnifying glass.
I do not know what dimension "F" is asking for.
Google tells me that I have a THREE wheel lock.
Cutting your own key might prove problematic, as the key stock is sort of key shaped and not something that you would have around. Kind of like a square with a tail off of one corner.

NavyVet1959
08-01-2017, 04:42 AM

I have this brand of lock with part number 6730 01. I select three numbers and then go to about ten where it stops if I have selected the previous three correctly.

A= 0.070"
C= 0.216"
D= 0.159"

That should be a 3-wheel lock then. Now, if someone has the 4-wheel change key and posts the measurements, then I can be sure of the difference. I'm *assuming* that there is a difference. I suspect that the "B" measurement is slightly longer.

The key is made from square stock, right? What's the side of the square measurement?

NavyVet1959
08-01-2017, 04:46 AM
Cutting your own key might prove problematic, as the key stock is sort of key shaped and not something that you would have around. Kind of like a square with a tail off of one corner.

OK... So much for that idea. I had thought from looking at the keyhole itself and the photos that I had seen of the key that it was just a square piece of metal bar with half of it cut away across opposite angle on the stock in certain places.

We were both typing at the same time is appears.

Yep... :)

corbinace
08-01-2017, 04:46 AM
We were both typing at the same time is appears.

corbinace
08-01-2017, 04:48 AM
The main portion of the key is square but the cut away portion is a short tail that comes off of the corner. The roundish part is in the center of the square part.

JoeG52
08-01-2017, 07:23 AM
If it helps this says it is 4 wheel (not from ebay)...
https://www.safeandlockstore.com/sargent-greenleaf-u12-4-wheel-change-key/

corbinace
08-01-2017, 11:30 AM
If it helps this says it is 4 wheel (not from ebay)...
https://www.safeandlockstore.com/sargent-greenleaf-u12-4-wheel-change-key/

This link includes a picture of the cross section of the key stock of which this is made.

Both pictures appear to have the same proportions as the one I possess.

Maybe there is no difference?

NavyVet1959
08-01-2017, 01:10 PM
This link includes a picture of the cross section of the key stock of which this is made.

Both pictures appear to have the same proportions as the one I possess.

Maybe there is no difference?

I think that the cross sections are probably the same, but there might be a length of the "B" measurement that is different. I guess we won't know unless someone has one of those keys stumbles across this thread and chooses to take the measurements.