PDA

View Full Version : what to see in knoxville?

bruce381
07-31-2017, 09:19 PM
going to be there around the ecplise and wonder what to see/do?
thanks

Tom W.
08-01-2017, 12:45 AM
Just a few miles past Knoxville is Sevierville, Pigeon Forge, and Gatlinburg, as well as the Great Smokey mountain national Park. All kinds of stuff to do.....even Dollywood, trout fishing, tourist stuff, shows, and in general whatever you desire. If you can't find something that gets your attention just pull the grass back over your head.....:bigsmyl2:Bud's gun shop and Smokey mountains knife works can keep one busy for hours.

Spoonerism
08-01-2017, 10:53 AM
The Knoxville zoo is great, but the city itself is a college town and I'm not too familiar with much to do in the city. Gatlinburg and pigeon forge are a great place to do just about anything. Paula Dean's restaurant is good, there is Lazer tag, tourist traps every where and of course Smoky mountain park. I really recommend hitting the knife works and Bud's.

472x1B/A
08-01-2017, 11:16 AM
Wow, I read the first post and thought, 'Who would want to come to Knoxville Illinois?'. Then I read the second post, ahh!

Tom W.
08-01-2017, 01:09 PM
GSMNP is our favorite place. Paula Deen restaurant on the Island is one of the best! And there is this humongous Ferris wheel that has air-conditioned boxes to ride in and see for miles. Shoot, Lori and I got married in Gatlinburg!

EMC45
08-01-2017, 02:46 PM
I work in the Park. There is a good bit to do in Knoxville - City Square farmers market, restaurants, pubs, bars, walking trails, Calhouns on the river, Zoo etc.

Sevierville/Kodak has the Smoky Mtn Knifeworks and Bud's guns. Tons of antique shops.

Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg have tourist traps out the wazoo. I would recommend against eating anywhere on the strip (441). The food is sub par. They call the strip "Kiddie Vegas" because of all the stuff there - Go Carts, Bungee, trampoline shops, Ninja warrior etc. etc.

I really like the Park though and there is a ton to do here. Waterfalls, trails, elk, bear, deer, The Cades Coves loop (11mi. car/bike path). Come check us out. You'll like it.

Spoonerism
08-01-2017, 05:45 PM
I forgot to mention the moonshine crawl and the Smoky mountain brewery. There are a dozen or more distilleries and wineries that give out samples. Last time I did the crawl with my buddies from work, one of them passed out in his steak at the Smoky mountain brewery. It's a great place to go for dinner.

Petrol & Powder
08-01-2017, 06:08 PM
It's not Knoxville, but Oak Ridge isn't too far away. If you're a WWII history buff with an interest in the Manhattan Project, it's worth the trip:

https://www.nps.gov/mapr/oakridge.htm

If you're looking for entertainment, this isn't you're place but if you're looking for WWII specific education - it's worth spending the day.
I was there before 9/11 and the security was above average for a National Historic Site, I don't know what it's like now. You must be a U.S. Citizen to take the bus tour inside the complex.