PDA

View Full Version : Sizing .358 Tumble-lubes

FieldShunt
07-30-2008, 12:57 PM
I had used my .452 Lee sizer with the 228Rs with good results but never tried the .358 one on the 158 round-nose tumble lubes I was getting from my recently acquired six-banger.
Since the .38s as-cast and lubed with Lee Alox didn't seem all that accurate, I thought I'd put my calipers to them. They were mostly .360, with a couple seeming to tend wider.
So, I set up the .358 Lee sizer and pushed a handful through.
The effort seemed a little high and the results showed what looked to me to be a pretty fair eccentricity.
Am I right in thinking that, and is the mold in need of work?

http://www.fishertransmission.com/images/Lee358s.jpg

Willbird
07-30-2008, 04:23 PM
it is hard to tell for sure by the picture. but it comes to mind that you may have some right to left offset in the bullets ?? You did not say if your mold is a 2 cavity or a 6 cavity, if it is a 2 cavity I would look for some "stuff" on one of the right to left locaters on the mold blocks causing your offset.

Bill

FieldShunt
07-30-2008, 04:33 PM
It's a six-banger.

Hipshot
07-30-2008, 07:41 PM
Looks like one side of the bullet is being sized far more than the other----------------look at the flats on the bands on one side compared to the other !

Hipshot

Johnch
07-30-2008, 07:44 PM
LOL
I don't bother sizing them
If they will chamber after being loaded
I let the forcing cone size them

John

Shiloh
07-30-2008, 07:47 PM
I just got finished casting about 600 LEE .45 200 gr. TLSWC. I also run mine through a lee sizer for size consistency. There is a little more sizing on one side than the other but not as pronounced as yours. Just to see, I looked at some LEE 148 gr. TLWC boolits. Some of those look more like yours but again, not as pronounced. They shoot well though and I have no complaints.

Is the base of the boolit flat?? That is was it milled crooked??

Shiloh

FieldShunt
07-30-2008, 08:33 PM
Yeah, the bases look fine.
Remember, I took to sizing them since I was thinking they weren't being accurate. In the Tuesday night league, I clipped a fair number of no-shoots with them and my Python, which irritates, of course.
I sized up about 150 and re-Loxed them. I'll put them in cases in front of a good dollop of VV320 and see what happens, maybe Saturday.
Some of this run needed a bunch of sizing, according to my handle-effort meter. Maybe this in one of those problematical Lees.
If so, it'd be the first one for me.