PDA

View Full Version : L&R 900-D lock problems

49FMarlin
07-29-2017, 08:07 AM
I got this lock from TOTW and flipped the frizzen a few times,seemed grabby,,but then what do i know?
then took it all apart to inlet into the stock,
when it was back together, i noticed the frizzen when flipped open did not like being flipped closed, so STUPID ME
I took it apart and lightly very lightly sanded the sides of the frizzen and the insides of the mount, as it felt rough,
put back together still not wanting to flip closed,
so then filed the springs back side a little so there was less drag on the plate,,in my demented mind something was jamming up

THEN after totally wrecking any warrantee or replacement,,,i figured it out,
THEY not ME must have drilled the hole for the pivot on the frizzen in the wrong place, as the little roller catches very nicely in the notch of the frizzen
hinge leg and the frizzen tail leg,,so perfectly that when you try to pull the frizzen forwards it actually try to bend the arm of the spring in an arc,
Now in my own defense I DID NOT do anything to the leg that has the round end the roller rides on,,,

any ideas how i can fix this?
Ive sent a note to TOTW but i figure I've frizzened it up and me aint gonna get no replacement,,,

sincerely
the unlucky lock

John

Standing Bear
07-29-2017, 10:43 AM
I'd contact L&R, explain the situation and send it to them. Your attempts to fix the problem shouldn't absolve them of responsibility for a correct fit between frizzen and spring (with or without a roller).

Based on my limited experience, it is now my practice to only buy locks directly from the maker, the fewer issues seem to be handled differently. No evidence but I suspect some vendors buy kits or parts and assemble them.

Eddie2002
07-29-2017, 12:13 PM
I would think you could remove a little metal from the area on the frizzen arm where the roller is getting caught. But before I would do any more work to the lock I would see what TOTW and L+R says about the problem.
I have the same lock in the left handed version and it ended up with about a 15 lb trigger pull when installed in a pistol. Had to do some careful polishing on the sear and tumbler to get it right. L+R makes nice locks, good luck with your's.

Flintlock1812
07-29-2017, 03:21 PM
Like standing bear said, contact L&R company. I've bought several locks from them, They are Great people to deal with andTheir customer service is second to none,

rfd
07-29-2017, 03:48 PM
don't mess with that lock in any manner and do contact L&R. they *should* stand by their product.

49FMarlin
07-30-2017, 04:18 AM
thanks all,
I got it to work by lessening the spring/roller pressure, but now the frizzen is floppy in the up position,
Ill do no more until i hear from TOTW and contact L&R