PDA

View Full Version : a nose for cavitation

Oklahoma Rebel
07-28-2017, 07:07 PM
hi, I am interested in getting an accurate mold with the 37-250B and 37-285C, both are for the 9.3X62 and are GC RNFP, meplat of .20. I was wondering if it would improve the performance in game if I had them put a 5 degree point on the meplat, picure the point of a center punch, but really a very shallow angle on the point. since cavitation is the bubble you see in ball. gel that forms around the boolit, helping it to penetrate with less friction, when the bubble slams back together, I imagine causes more internal damage. so do you think the shallow point on the nose would be better or worse than the flat meplat? I still want some deformation, but not fragmentation! Thanks-Travis

bosterr
07-28-2017, 07:31 PM
I don't think Tom can do any "point". IIRC it has to have at least a .180 meplat.

Oklahoma Rebel
07-28-2017, 08:06 PM
the boolit has a .20 meplat, I was hoping he could do a 5 degree point but if he cant i'll either leave it flat or send it to eric ohler. does tom see this sight much?

bosterr
07-28-2017, 09:07 PM
Tom comes on here occasionally to offer input, but he's excellent in answering emails, tom@accuratemolds.com.

Oklahoma Rebel
07-28-2017, 09:54 PM
ok thanks a lot!

Wayne Smith
07-29-2017, 07:34 AM
It's a 9.3! Why do you need cavitation? If I want more effectiveness I'll soft point a'la BruceB.

Outpost75
07-29-2017, 07:17 PM
A shallow cup-point would do well. I have had Erik at www.hollowpointmold.com modify several molds for me to produce a shallow cup point with opening 0.66 of the meplat diameter, with 60-degree draft angle on the sides, so that the depth of the cup point is the same as its diameter. This works very well at handgun velocities with soft, ductile alloys such as 1:30 tin-lead from Roto Metals in the .38 Special, .38 S&W, .44-40, .455 and also in the .32 ACP.

waksupi
07-29-2017, 07:36 PM
People need to stop trying to bring cast bullets down to the level of factory jacketed bullets. Yes, I said DOWN TO!
When you use a flat nose and get better performance than you get from one of the big manufacturers bullets, why do you want to go backwards?

Oklahoma Rebel
07-29-2017, 09:23 PM
wow, well some people like to experiment, is there something wrong with tthat, and yes I believe I mentioned eric ohler was goung to be a second option, I like the idea of the ccup point. for larger tougher animals than deer, mainly hogs, I will leave them flat pointed.and trying to improve boolits isn't just for performance sake, the better a boolit works the less the animal will suffer. thank you

Oklahoma Rebel
07-29-2017, 09:25 PM
and outpost those are some beautiful mushrooms, may I ask what alloy?

jmort
07-29-2017, 10:16 PM
People need to stop trying to bring cast bullets down to the level of factory jacketed bullets. Yes, I said DOWN TO!
When you use a flat nose and get better performance than you get from one of the big manufacturers bullets, why do you want to go backwards?

Absolutely right
Lead Bullets Technology
What I call the Magic Meplat

pitchfire
07-30-2017, 05:26 PM
I suspect that a pointed bullet (to any degree) parts the wave laterally more, as opposed to stacking and compressing waves and then forcing pressure laterally as outflow of the stacking like a flat meplat does. It really is a fluid dynamic equation that can be modeled fairly easily to a certain degree. This is kind of what you are talking about modeled by professionals (although not conical):https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1KAFwiRFjE