PDA

View Full Version : Bang stick info

xbeeman412
07-28-2017, 06:06 PM
A friend has aquired a bang stick and needs info on it. It is made by:bangstick oceanic equip corp miami Fl.

He is going to bring it by for Me to look at later, it is a 38 or 357 cal and is a 3 piece stick.

Any help reguarding this will be of great help!

Thanks in advance.

Hickory
07-28-2017, 06:31 PM
Bang sticks are, as you know, are used in waters where there is a likelihood of dangerous fish. (Sharks)
Most, if not all states regulate them as a firearm, some as a handgun. Which means they are closely regulated or restricted.
Hearing protection is needed if there is the slightest chance that it may be used underwater, and if you, yourself will be under water. They are slow to reload and if there are more then one shark you need to either get out of the water or are prepared to meet Jesus.

xbeeman412
07-28-2017, 06:34 PM
I dont plan to use it. My Freind wants to make sure it is safe to use and not missing any parts for a safe use.

MyFlatline
07-28-2017, 07:36 PM
Bang sticks are, as you know, are used in waters where there is a likelihood of dangerous fish. (Sharks)
Most, if not all states regulate them as a firearm, some as a handgun. Which means they are closely regulated or restricted.
Hearing protection is needed if there is the slightest chance that it may be used underwater, and if you, yourself will be under water. They are slow to reload and if there are more then one shark you need to either get out of the water or are prepared to meet Jesus.

ear plugs and underwater do not mix well. Hard to get equilibrium with the ears plugged. I am no pro by any means but have been diving and hunting underwater for 30+ years . Just my .02

Riverpigusmc
07-28-2017, 07:37 PM
They use them here during gator season, as firearms are not allowed to take gators

SciFiJim
07-28-2017, 10:17 PM
I've never seen one, but what I have heard is that it is a spring loaded contact weapon. It is fired by pushing it in contact against the object (shark) to be fired at. It operates like a spring loaded center punch.

xbeeman412
07-28-2017, 10:25 PM
here are some pictures of the stick200698200699

bedbugbilly
07-29-2017, 08:07 AM
Interesting thread- just goes to show you're never to old to learn something new! Never seen one of these before . . . of course we don't have too many gators or sharks in MI or AZ :-)

Eddie17
07-29-2017, 09:02 AM
A couple of pictures of one I've used underwater. It's in 44 cal and feels like someone punches you in the chest when it goes off. Never use ear plugs scuba diving.

kingstrider
07-30-2017, 07:11 AM
They use them here for gators as well, though handguns are also legal.

xbeeman412
07-30-2017, 02:57 PM
Some update on the Bang stick.

Freind brought the stick to the house and We figured out what was needed to make it work right. A bit of Charlie enginering (drilled a 1/4 inch nut to use as a washer and spacer to a spring) and the stick fired a primed shell.. no powder. Now to find a stainless spring and 1/4 inch washer that will fit inside of the tube and He is good to go.

Thanks for the info about it being considered a firearm as He wants to go to mexico and dive with it so that is OUT!!

BillP
08-01-2017, 12:28 PM
Florida Fish and Wildlife says bang sticks can only be used for self protection from gators and sharks. They can lawfully be used to kill gators already attached to a line but appropriate permits must be obtained for that. You will be arrested if proof of eminent danger cannot be proven after the fact. They say no killing of other wildlife is allowed. I've only seen bang sticks in 357.

I've been in the water next to a diver who deployed his bang stick on a shark. It was a highly muffled report and nothing like shooting at the range.

FergusonTO35
08-02-2017, 10:10 PM
I've always been surprised that these were not classified AOW as they aren't a rifle, shotgun, or handgun and could be considered a "concealed gadget device" like a walking cane gun or similar.

jonp
08-03-2017, 07:27 AM
Most of the ones ive seen are 12g. I knew a guy that carried one in his semi when he was doing nightly Montreal runs. Quirk a Canadian law that they were not "guns" so legal to carry. Dont know if thats still true or not

SP5315
08-04-2017, 06:14 PM
normally all the bangsticks ive seen have been 12 guage.

I've got one in 410. It'll also take a 45 Long Colt. It was my brother's. He picked it up somewhere in Florida.

bstone5
08-04-2017, 10:21 PM
Had one in 12 gauge years ago, carried in the boat while spear fishing off the coast in Texas under oil production platforms. Never fired the thing sold when moved to Houston many years ago. Purchased the thing in Florida while a teenager, now 71 years old.

08-04-2017, 10:54 PM
I'd contact the manufacturer for info.