PDA

View Full Version : Lead composition testing?

am44mag
07-26-2017, 05:31 PM
I have some lead that I don't know the composition of. How could I go about testing it? I'd like to know so I can adjust it to make it my favorite alloy.

Thanks!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

seaboltm
07-26-2017, 05:31 PM
Cray scanner

seaboltm
07-26-2017, 05:32 PM
Xray not cray

fredj338
07-26-2017, 06:01 PM
What use do you have for the alloy? For most pistol applications, doesn't matter much IMO. I cast a lot of range scrap as is for handgun loads to 1100fps or so.

Grmps
07-26-2017, 06:01 PM
There are some members that offer XRF scanning in exchange for 1 # of pure lead. Or you could find a local source for XRF scanning
Sometimes a scrap yard will do it for you but I've found their scan is not that accurate.

am44mag
07-26-2017, 08:44 PM
What use do you have for the alloy? For most pistol applications, doesn't matter much IMO. I cast a lot of range scrap as is for handgun loads to 1100fps or so.

The alloy I like is about like clip on WWs with a bit more tin and antimony. I like a BHN of about 13-14. I have no idea what this stuff was. I had a pile of lead that included linotype, wheel weights, pure, range scrap, a small chunk of tin, and various alloys that I had not labeled (won't make that mistake again).

There are some members that offer XRF scanning in exchange for 1 # of pure lead. Or you could find a local source for XRF scanning
Sometimes a scrap yard will do it for you but I've found their scan is not that accurate.

That'll work. Do you remember their user name? :)

Thanks guys.

rwadley
07-27-2017, 12:12 AM
BNE is one user that does it

am44mag
07-27-2017, 02:53 AM
BNE is one user that does it

Thanks! I sent him a PM.

runfiverun
07-28-2017, 01:33 AM
sounds just like most of my alloys over the years.
some of this, some of that, all mixed together then shot, then I get more stuff and repeat.
it seems to have been a pretty good plan so far.

The alloy I like is about like clip on WWs with a bit more tin and antimony. I like a BHN of about 13-14. I have no idea what this stuff was. I had a pile of lead that included linotype, wheel weights, pure, range scrap, a small chunk of tin, and various alloys that I had not labeled (won't make that mistake again).

sounds a lot like most of my alloys over the years.
melt cast shoot get more repeat.

That'll work. Do you remember their user name? :)

Thanks guys.